• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

maintenance on 6lp-ste I need help!!!

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

peterf
Gold Member
Gold Member

maintenance on 6lp-ste I need help!!!

Post by peterf »

i bought a 2000 albin 28 with a yanmar 6lpste engine. It now has a little over 550 hrs& when I was checking the suggested maint schedule it states @ 250 hrs the following should be done & then again@ 1000 hrs. [ 1 ] adjust the intake & exhaust valve clearance
[ 2 ] check & adjust the fuel injection pressure & atomizing condition.
The previous owner did not think this had been done & I am wondering if I can wait until the 1000 hr maint or should I have it done now. Have other owners waited until 1000 hrs?

Also I have ordered the new exhaust valve seals to correct the potential valve problem with this engine. I am located in Nova Scotia Canada & there are no certified yanmar mechanics. ..Can all this work be done by a non yanmar diesel mechanic ?
Thanks for your help
Peter
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Valve seals and adjustments

Post by Maye Marie »

The valve adjustment for the Yanmar is critical. The engine is a well tuned high RPM diesel. It needs close tolerances to do what this engine does so well, run efficiently and produce good horse power. I would do the Valve adjustment as soon as possible.

This is something you can do yourself with a good amount of patients. I think if you take your time and follow the instructions in the motor manual there should be no problem. As said before patients are the key and for this reason you will probably do a better job than having a mechanic rush threw it. The first time will be the hardest, then with the learned knowledge it will be much easier and quicker next time. I have a thread on this sight showing the tools I made and speaking of the problems you will encounter.
Look on this thread Albin maintenance,
( Yanmar 6lp-ste Valve djustment Qeustion )

As far as the seals go I do think this is something you could do yourself. Do the valve adjustment first just so you have that part down. Understand you will be adjusting valves when you replace the seals but it would be good to get this part of the learning curve out of the way before diving into the bigger project. Do the valves and then plan to do the seals at a later date. The one problem I do not have a firm answer on yet is how you would keep the valves up when you replace the seals. I am assuming it is done by having the cylinder up at top dead center. I will be doing mine myself this spring and will have the answer later.

I did mine right at 250 Hrs. and checked before adjustment and did not think they were out much. After the adjustment I could hear the difference in the motor running. So I do believe valve adjustment is critical to this engine.

I am not sure if fuel injection timing is as critical. You will need to buy the tool for adjusting. I think fuel injection timing will have more effect on efficiency than doing your engine harm.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”