• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin Chesapeake Rendezvous planned for September 22 weekend

Cambridge Yacht Club on the Choptank River, Cambridge MD
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Albin Chesapeake Rendezvous planned for September 22 weekend

Post by Carl »

KozyL has made reservations and are looking forward to seeing everyone as well.

Carl & Laurel
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Remedy322
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Knapps Narrows, Tilghman, MD

Post by Remedy322 »

We were delighted when Gladys & Bayard invited us to participate, even though we sold our Albin 32+2 in May. We are looking forward to seeing everyone and catching up. We have made reservations for our current boat “Paloma”.

See you on Saturday
Dave and Jean
(Formerly “Remedy”)
HerBoat35
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cambridge MD

Post by HerBoat35 »

Hello Everyone,

I apologize that I am late sending this out but had a personal situation that took me out of town for the last several weeks.

Hard to believe the rendezvous is just two days away and the boating season is coming to a close.

The following is planned for the weekend:

Some boats will arrive on Friday and we can have a get together in the gazebo and split into groups to go up town for dinner.

On Saturday at 4 PM:
Jim Burton will do a presentation on the safe operation of your small, private vessel when in the vicinity of large commercial boat traffic. The talk will cover how these smaller vessels appear from the bridge of the larger commercial vessels and how these large boats will react to their presence. Jim will discuss the limited maneuverability of these commercial boats and will give a brief summary of the applicable Rules of the Road. Good stuff to know for you guys that fish or cruise in the main bay area.
Jim is a member of the Yacht Club and was most recently employed by Moran Towing Corp. of NY as Chief Mate of large tug/barge combinations carrying bulk cement and petroleum products on the East and Gulf Coasts, 1992-2016.
He currently holds Coast Guard License and Endorsements: Master 1600 tons motor vessels in near-coastal waters; First Class Pilot of any gross tons upon waters of New Haven Harbor, CT, Portland, ME, and Boston, MA; Radar Observer Unlimited. Retired December, 2016.

Following Jim's presentation we will have dinner at the Yacht Club.

We can decide when we met but would like to have a group breakfast in the gazebo either Saturday or Sunday if you could bring something for that it would be great. We can run to Dunkin Donuts to get coffee.

As long as the weather is good, the gazebo bar will be open in the evenings.

If anyone is coming by car there are several bed & breakfasts within walking distance to the Yacht Club and of course their is always the Hyatt. https://visitdorchester.org/where-to-st ... reakfasts/

Additional notes -
There are two events happening in Cambridge that weekend that may be of interest to you:
September 22 - Choptank Heritage Skipjack Race
https://visitdorchester.org/events/chop ... ck-race-4/
September 23 - Dorchester Center of the Art Showcase (street festival):
https://festivalnet.com/31320/Cambridge ... s-Showcase

Looking forward to seeing everyone. Safe travels !

Bayard & Gladys Taylor cell # 443-521-2032
Tinsley & Cheryl Meekins cell # 410-228-8888
Bayard & Gladys Taylor
35 Albin TE
Wake Up Call

Formally -
28 Albin TE Flush Deck
Friend Ship
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Many thanks to Bayard and Gladys for hosting the Albin Chesapeake Rendezvous this year, at the lovely Cambridge Yacht Club, with its great views over the Choptank River and well-stocked bar. Cambridge has been a "drive past on Rt 50" for us, for many years, but the opportunity to see more of this super Eastern Shore town was an eye opener.

Although Georgia and I had to drive over we had a great time, meeting other Albineers (old friends and new), and enjoying the mostly maritime convos greatly. Lovely to see so many well-loved Albins docked together. Also many thanks to Jim Burton for a fascinating presentation on "the other point of view" (Small Craft as seen (or not) from the bridge of a Very Large Vessel).
The Skipjack Race was beautiful to see, and we had a perfect viewing place. I'm trying to add pix, but no matter what I do they insert upside down. Is this perhaps a function of age?
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by kowal_53 »

Many thanks to the organizers. We had a wonderful time, the talk was great, but the company was greater. I even listened to channel 13 most of the way home. I was ready to talk to those ships, but the only ones we saw were anchored outside of Annapolis. I hope everyone's trip home was uneventful given the reduced visibility. I am guilty of taking to many pictures of the skipjack race and not enough of us. Please see the few pictures I did get.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Current: Good Mojo 2008 TE 31 - Cummins QSC 8.3 500 HP
Former: Blue Without You 2006 TE 28 - Yanmar 6PLA - 315 HP
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by kowal_53 »

Hear are a few pictures of the many hundred I managed to take of the Skipjack race.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Current: Good Mojo 2008 TE 31 - Cummins QSC 8.3 500 HP
Former: Blue Without You 2006 TE 28 - Yanmar 6PLA - 315 HP
HerBoat35
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cambridge MD

Post by HerBoat35 »

Pictures from the 2018 Albin Rendezvous at the Cambridge Yacht Club. Thanks to everyone who came for making this a successful gathering!
Bayard & Gladys Taylor
35 Albin TE
Wake Up Call

Formally -
28 Albin TE Flush Deck
Friend Ship

Return to “12th Chesapeake Rendezvous - Sept. 21st - Sept. 23rd”