• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

AOG Fall Escape - Chesapeake

Know about or organizing a raft-up? Where, when?

Let's Pick a Date

Poll ended at Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:37 pm

Sept 4-6
17%
Sept 11-12
67%
Sept 18-19
No votes
Oct 2-3
No votes
Oct 9-10
17%
Oct 16-17 (Tilghman Day)
No votes

Total votes: 6

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: AOG Fall Escape - Chesapeake

Post by jcollins »

John, you have said that Sharron shared the driving before you installed an autopilot. Now that you don't need her anymore, is she available to help drive Quest?
She has been promoted to Admiral, CCPS (Chief Crab Pot Scout) Ten-port, ten-starboard, uh I mean right, no left, no, no, 20 LEFT.
See you Saturday.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Reservations made, will be arriving Friday eve, and leaving Sunday morning. See you there!!!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

I will arrive between 1 and 2 Saturday afternoon. Looking forward to seeing everyone. Watch out for the sailboats along the way. The Annapolis to Oxford race is tomorrow.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

We're leaving early (yawn) tomorrow morning. I like to watch the sunrise when I'm coming down the bay. I'm guessing 3-3 1/2 hours for us.

John
John
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Are you coming via Knapps Narrows? We are here at Severn Marine. You can't miss us.We are the only 5th wheel trailer in the boatyard. Should be here all morning washing & waxing the trailer but going up to St Michaels early afternoon for the Log Canoe racing.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Looked over this morning as we were coming back through the narrows. Saw the 5th wheel. The admiral had to get back home. We didn't have time to stop.

Next time?
John
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

The weekend was great!
We left Seneca around 7:00 on Satuday. The run down the bay was good. 1-2 chop that flattened out south of the bridge. We cut through Knapps Narrows. Sharon is still impressed when the bridge tender raises a bridge "just for us". Very friendly guy.
Once into the Choptank the ride was very good. The Choptank is beautiful river that runs all the way to Denton, MD.
We arrived a little before 11:00. Average trip speed, including the narrows, was 13.76 knots. My approach to the Hyatt marina (River Marsh) was tricky. After 3 fairways and 2 180's (this one, no that one, no this one) we were greeted by Carl and Laurel. (Kozy L) Lou pulled in a little later on Quest. Saturday was a glorius day. Sunday was rain/drizzle for most of the day.
This marina is very nice. But, they don't want you to hang around. Beside the slip fee there is a 19.00 per day resort fee. They really want to get you off your boat and into the hotel to use the facilities. Spa, pools, 3 or 4 restaurants, tennis, golf, etc.
I wanted to use my new Solaire to grill steaks but was informed no grilling. Nowhere. That's o.k., we had dinner Saturday night to celebrate Carl and Laurel's anniversary. Lou visited the hotel bar that night and we just hung out at the boat. Carl left Sunday. We bid farewell and Lou, Sharon, and I had lunch and dinner together. Great company and great conversation.
Monday's forecast called for small craft warnings in the afternoon so we left early. The Choptank and the Bay was FAC. I averaged 15.3 knots coming home. Coming back through the narrows we saw VeeByes land yacht at Severn Marine. Very nice.

End Note: One reason for this trip was to check out the marina for next year's rendezvous. The consensus is no :!:
John
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

It was a good weekend overall. Very nice to celebrate Carl and Laurels anniversary on Saturday. Good company all around. I left Cambridge around 9:30 am on Monday and took my time down the Choptank and up the bay as far as Poplar Island. Came the long way around Tilghman Island. It only adds a few miles to the trip. At Poplar Island I sped up and covered the rest of the way to Annapolis at about 16 knots. Pulled in to Annapolis Harbor and anchored to have lunch. Then a quick cruise up the Severn and back to my dock on Back Creek. In spite of the forecast, the bay was calm all the way. The wind was just starting to pick up when I was heading to Back Creek around 2 pm. I agree with John that the Hyatt is not the right kind of place for the AOG rendezvous. It's just not geared to the kind of activities we normally have. Very nice resort, very good food in the restaurants, nice facilities, but somewhat expensive and not really friendly to AOG type activities.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Funny, when you guys started this thread and put up the link to the Hyatt I thought, WOW that place is NICE, could it be TOO nice...... Sounds like a good time all in all. We had 3 Albins at Shelter Island Labor Day weekend - RobS, mhanna and HomeInstead and the families and four legged crew members too. Our destination, Coecles Harbor Marina http://www.chmb.net/index.html was just the opposite, quaint and tranquil. It was quality time about just getting together and sitting back - remembering Life Is Good...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

I thought, WOW that place is NICE, could it be TOO nice
Suggestions for next years rendezvous will include Herrington Harbor, St. Michael's, Fairlee Creek/Great Oaks. (and others)
John
Butch
In Memorium
Home Port: St Michaels,Md.

Post by Butch »

Did Carl pick up the tab on his anniversary? Sorry I missed it. Weather permitting I will be going to Tilghman Island Day
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

jcollins wrote:Looked over this morning as we were coming back through the narrows. Saw the 5th wheel. The admiral had to get back home. We didn't have time to stop.

Next time?
You must have snuck past me. Kept my eyes open sat morning as we were washing & waxing. Monday we slept in a bit so guess you slipped by then.

We will be back, same place, the last week of October.

This is my first chance to get online. Currently near Lextington, KY.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)

Return to “Meet and Greet”