• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Puget Sound deep South and Olympia

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Puget Sound deep South and Olympia

Post by sail149 »

Hi
I'm looking for information from anybody who has cruised this area.
I had the opertunity to be in the Seattle area at end of July 2017 and have found a small 26' trawler in Olympia to rent from the owner thru the 'boat bound ' web site ...a bit like air b&b.
Not looking to travel as far as the San Jaun islands maybe get up to Gig Harbor. But looks like plenty of places to stop south of the Tacoma narrows too.
We've only got a week so we don't want to be traveling all day, 2-4 hrs would be plenty 6+ Kts cruising speed.
So anybody got experience in that area and suggestions for good places to overnight. Small marinas would be good not looking to rough it too much and eat ashore as much possible .
Cheers in advance
Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Puget Sound deep South and Olympia

Post by WillieC »

Check out Hira Reid's and Shatoosh's blog or whatever you call it. Tracing Peter Puget's South sound adventure.

http://pugetmemorial.blogspot.com/

http://shatooshandpashmina.blogspot.com/

And do not pass through without letting us know! Would love to meet you!
valtrent

Post by valtrent »

We have a ball in Colvos Passage, about half to 1/3 of the way to Olympia.you're welcome to use for the night. Solidly anchored in about 30' of water, short dinghy ride to the beach if you're so inclined. Let me know if you want to stay and I'll give you the lat/long. It's overkill for my 31 TE so should be no issue for you. Send me a note offline if you're interested. valtrent@Reagan.com
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

We have a ball any time we are on the water, too! Oh, a "ball" ball. Sorry, couldn't resist.
valtrent

Post by valtrent »

You a funny buoy!! :lol:
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sail149 »

Thanks for links. I had read some of Shatoosh blog a while ago . I'll read some more.....
I already now know more about the area.....now I know why the sound got its name!

It's a little hard to find out about the ferrys , it seem a lot LEs than there used to be.......
We would love to find a ferry from Olympia to Seattle but it looks like they don't exist....... (We have to be in Seattle for a couple days after the short cruise)
Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Yes, the old Mosquito Fleet died out years ago. I would have loved those days. Ferries are expensive and the old systems were likely unhindered by today's sensibilities. Insurance, safety, redundancy, etc. Not saying the good old days were idyllic, but very different. I recently read about the photographer Edward Curtis, SHORT NIGHTS OF THE SHADOW CATCHER, The Epic Life and Immortal Photographs of Edward Curtis by Timothy Egan. Curtis lived at Waterton across from the Bremerton ferry and regularly rowed into Seattle, an hour ferry ride now!
Sounder light rail goes from Tacoma to Seattle, I do not know if it extends any farther south. You might check that out. Maybe Amtrak if you plan it right. Surely there is something direct from the Capitol to the Money Engine. And you do not want to miss the I-5 traffic experience during your stay. Ha!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

A good land stop before or after you're done with the boat would be the Gig Harbor Boat Works in Gig Harbor & check out their fiberglass dinghies and small sailboats if that sort of thing interests you.

Also, another cool place to visit by car is the Center For Wooden Boats museum & dock at the south end of Lake Union in Seattle. It's been 10 years since we've been there, but they used to have a couple steam launches there & gave free rides on Sundays in the summer. Not sure if that's still the case.

Gig Harbor Boat Works where we bought & picked up our new Nisqually 8 dinghy.
20160801_152309 (1024x576).jpg
Steam launch at the Center For Wooden Boats, Lake Union, Seattle
IMG_5230.JPG
IMG_5228.JPG
IMG_5232.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sail149 »

Thanks
I was thinking we could make it to gig harbor as it sounds like a great place and I'm into all sorts of boats. The Tacoma water front looks interesting too.
I thought a ferry to port Townsend might be worth it too.
We should be a short Uber or walk from our downtown Seattle hotel to the center for Wooden Boats.
I'm looking forward to seeing lake Union ever since I saw this interesting photo. This grand cape Horner is now in philly being used as a resturant but without a proper rig like this. ( it has fake metal rigging now)
image.jpeg
Cheers Warren
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

I'd encourage you to get a copy of the Waggoners Guide. It is available through West Marine. It is by far the most comprehensive guide to cruising in the PNW. Updated annually.

Reccomendations: Jarrell Cove State Park (not the private marina). Longbranch (view of Mt Rainier). In Gig Harbor we really like Arabella's Landing. In Tacoma, the Dock Street marina is in a great location.

Amtrak runs several times daily . You can get an Uber in Olympia now to get to the train station which is in the suburb of Lacey.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sail149 »

Thanks , I got waggoners, and another and just ordered a paper chart for planning stuff.
Thanks for marina suggestions , it helps so much.
Amtrak , Hadn't though of that..... I was thinking of just using Uber
But now I've heard about the traffic......
Cheers Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sail149 »

Hi guys,
We are having a great trip so far. 6kts seem to be about it at 1800. (Takes another 1000 rpm to get 7+knots.)
Weather is overcast and 58deg in mornings then burns off by 11 for hot sun and 82. No rain for ~40 days!
7/26 from Olympia Up Pickering Pass to Jarrell cove state park for night.
IMG_6002.JPG
Case Inlet to Allyn on last of tide in AM , then down Case Inlet to Pitt passage and Mayo cove/ Lakebay marina and resort. (You would think with a name like that they would have showers! Ha!no).
We decided against longbranch as it was early yet.
Up Carr inlet to Cutts Island in morning then thru Hale passage with a great view of Mt.Rainer
IMG_6085.JPG
to the Famous Tacoma Narrows, and take the northbound ebb tide under the bridges at a staggering10+knots ,SOG, to Gig harbor and Arabella Landing. Lovely marina and 1(!) nice shower. But for only $30/night inc elec. who's complaining? State park was $25!
IMG_6111.JPG
Visiting Lady Washington 'tall ship' was our dock mate .
We stayed 2 nights and after a harbor tour headed up the Colvos Passage only to get fired on by the 'Washington' as we passed!
IMG_6222.JPG
We took the always north bound current to Val's mooring ball for lunch (thanks a lot Val). A bit rollie from passing traffic to stay long. First bit of wake trouble we've had. It was really calm and peaceful below the Narrows.
We are now hanging off a mooring ball on the west side of Blake island Park for night. Rollie here too until the 'Hulabalues' left for the night.
First choice ball on south side was blocked by a large black ketch anchored practically on top of the buoy! Some people are odd.
Starting to head south to peace and quiet tomorrow with a following north wind on the south bound flood tide.
(The boat is an '81 Nordic tug 26 with a newer D2-75hp(turbo)) , quite quiet easy to have conversation on the 'pilot house'.
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Wow Warren looks like a great trip. Don't get spoiled by that boat. Mine should be in the water by September hopefully. Stop down again if you get a chance.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

It's another world up there, unlike anything back East, isn't it? Such is why we have a trailerable 25. Gig Harbor is such a neat little town. Don't get too spoiled with that Nordic Tug! If we were rich we'd have a summer home or liveaboard Albin 36 or equivalent up there. Next time you do something like this, be sure to get up into the San Juans, and maybe Gulf Islands too. Where you are now is just a tip of the iceberg.

In the San Juans you'll see unspoiled sights like this:
20160625_131413.jpg
And this...
DSCN1338.JPG
And uncrowded anchorages galore, like here in Fisherman Bay on Lopez Island, to name just a few...
DSCN1458.JPG
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Valtrent/Reel Flyer,

You were there at the 2014 Rendezvous in Roche Harbor, weren't you? Remember us?
DSCN1530.JPG
We were one of the two A25's who showed up, us and the Canadian "Transition". That's our "La Dolce Vita" at right in this photo...
DSCN1531.JPG
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Return to “Cruising”