• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bringing our Albin 36 home need Chesapeake advice

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: bayville, nj

Bringing our Albin 36 home need Chesapeake advice

Post by jashmen »

In a couple of months we will hopefully be bringing our new baby home from Deltaville VA to Jersey. We could use some advice on good places to overnight, either at dock or on the hook. Unfortunately, we don't have time to sight see and need to be as fast as possible. I am having a hard time figuring out how far we can make it each day. I am planning one day through the Delaware Bay and one day from Cape May to home. It's the Chesapeake section that has me confused. So, any advice will be greatly welcome!
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Re: Bringing our Albin 36 home need Chesapeake advice

Post by cdsailor »

Have you asked this question on the Trawler Living and Cruising page on FB? Much more action over there. You might also ask on the FB Great Loop page.
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

I guess it depends on how long you want to be underway everyday. Deltaville to Solomons Island. Either get a slip or anchor out. We like to anchor in front of the old Tiki Bar/Lighthouse Restaurant. That's about 7-8 hours if you average 7 knots. Could be faster or slower depending on the current which changes every six hours. Solomons to Rock Hall. Get a slip or anchor in Swan Creek. Rock Hall to Chesapeake City. Slip or anchor in the basin.

If you want to be underway more than 7-8 hours and cut it down to 2 days, Dville to Herrington Harbour South for a slip or Rhode River for a nice anchorage. HHS or RR to Ches City.
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Agree, Solomons is a nice stop. Lots of marina options, slips, fuel, food, etc. Spring Cove is a nice marina. Calvert Marina on the west side of the peninsula between Back Creek & Solomons Creek on the site formerly occupied by the old WWII Navy amphibious training base is a good one too. A little more primitive than Spring Cove & some of the other marinas, but they used to offer free loaner car to run to errands. Not sure if they still offer use of the car, it's been going on four years since we were there last (summer 2015). Or, if you have a dinghy or no need to go ashore, anchor in front of the Calvert Maritime Museum. Otherwise as Rob says, many other options too numerous to mention. Either way, an enjoyable trip once the weather warms up a bit more.

Bon Voyage!
DSCN3050.JPG
DSCN2857.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Post by rcwhite »

Found ourselves at Solomons for the opening weekend at the tiki bar. Seems it is quite an event. Never seen so many law enforcement, rescue. Etc in such a small area. We figured there must be something else going on but no, The opening for the season is the draw. I was told it was quiet this year by comparison possibly because it had been closed last year.
L8apexer
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Annapolis

Post by L8apexer »

rcwhite wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:23 am Found ourselves at Solomons for the opening weekend at the tiki bar. Seems it is quite an event. Never seen so many law enforcement, rescue. Etc in such a small area. We figured there must be something else going on but no, The opening for the season is the draw. I was told it was quiet this year by comparison possibly because it had been closed last year.
I was there too. I stayed in Solomon’s Yacht Center for two nights with the new 28TE I just picked up in Woodbridge. You are right, the police presence was insane. You would have thought it was Spring Break in Daytona Beach.

To the OP. I would definitely recommend Solomon’s yachting center to overnight at. They have a Pub and a pool and the staff is top notch.
Albin 28 Tournament Express

Return to “Cruising”