• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Going to Freeport, Grand Bahama

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

Bahamia
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Annapolis

Going to Freeport, Grand Bahama

Post by Bahamia »

Towards the end of March 2015, I am planning to take my Albin 28TE to Freeport, Grand Bahama.
Considering the Gulf Stream currents, what would be the shortest and most advisable navigation route to take?
Also, how long would it take to do the crossing with an average SOG of 10 knots?
I welcome any advise and recommendation.
Thanks!
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re: Going to Freeport, Grand Bahama

Post by Mark Deeser »

Bahamia, I have not made the crossing, have thought about it a lot. If you google Gulf Stream crossing you will get more information than you could read in a weekend. Sounds like a great boat for a very nice trip.
rcor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Punta Gorda, FL

Post by rcor »

Check out the Waterway Guide. They give routes, times at various speeds, distances, and lots of otherinfo.
Bahamia
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Bahamia »

Thank you, Mark!
Thank you rcor!
I will check these references.
Chester B

Post by Chester B »

We spent three winters in the Bahamas on our sailboat and the best advice I could give is to be patient and wait for a good weather window. Every crossing we had was beautiful with no problems but we spent as much as a week or more hanging out in Key Biscayne waiting for the right weather to cross from there to Cat Cay or Bimini and then on to the Berry's. The last time we came back the seas were flat, the weather sunny and the fishing was good. Just be patient and don't have a deadline if you can avoid it. And pick up some of the Explorer Charts for that region - they are the best.
jprohan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay Shore, NY

Post by jprohan »

I made the crossing from Stuart to West End in my 32 Sportfish; cruising at 16 kts. It took about 4-5 hours depending on the speed of the gulf stream. You might want to leave from Palm Beach and ride the stream north instead. Bear in mind that you have to adjust your course due to the strength of the stream; in my boat I had to alter my course about 15 degrees to compensate. Old Bahama Bay is the marina at West End; very pricey these days. The anchorage is poor; so so holding and LOTS of current. We used to skip West End and go straight to Great Sale and drop the hook. Good holding; lots of mosquitos. From there you can easily make Green Turtle the next day, and go through customs there.
Make sure you have the appropriate courtesy flags, and display them. If you want some good anchorages, ssend me a private email.
Jim Persson
Bay Shore, NY
Bahamia
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Bahamia »

Chester B wrote:We spent three winters in the Bahamas on our sailboat and the best advice I could give is to be patient and wait for a good weather window. Every crossing we had was beautiful with no problems but we spent as much as a week or more hanging out in Key Biscayne waiting for the right weather to cross from there to Cat Cay or Bimini and then on to the Berry's. The last time we came back the seas were flat, the weather sunny and the fishing was good. Just be patient and don't have a deadline if you can avoid it. And pick up some of the Explorer Charts for that region - they are the best.
Thank you, Chester.

More than one year after my first Gulf Stream crossing to Grand Bahama Island, I wish to thank you for your very useful information and tell you how everything went.

Yes, you are correct. Being patient and waiting for the favorable weather window is key. And this is exactly what I did.
I did check <passageweather.com> forecast for wind and waves and... KABOOM...!!! I made a delightful Gulf Stream crossing with a S-SE wind 5-10 knots and waves 1-2 feet.

So you know, I also bought the Explorer charts for the Near Bahamas, including the Explorer Chart C-Map chip for my Ray Marine charter/plotter.

Thanks again,
Luis Cortes
Hobe Sound, FL
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Hey there neighbor!
Glad you had a good time and good trip! Rough seas make it very uncomfortable!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC

Return to “Cruising”