• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Some words of selling wisdom...and other stuff

Selling your Albin? List it here. Doing upgrades and want to share your usable stuff? Looking for a good deal? No commercial listings please.

Moderator: Nancy

Forum rules
Links to external personal sites and photo hosting sites are allowed. Links to dealers, brokers, eBay, etc., will be edited/removed by the moderators.
We strongly encourage you post pictures and details directly within your ad.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Some words of selling wisdom...and other stuff

Post by DougSea »

I actively follow a few boating blogs, and one of my favorites is "The Marine Installer's Rant" written by Bill Bishop. Along with tales of electronics installations good and bad (the bad make for the best reading!) he offers a number of observations on the ins and outs of our boating life.

In the link below he describes the painful process of selling a boat. And, towards the end of a very amusing piece (unless you're the seller), he offers some good advice on how to prep your fine vessel for sale.

I'd recommend taking a few minutes to read it. I'm pretty sure you'll laugh, and occasionally cry, and come up with some good thoughts on how to prep your boat for sale.

Enjoy!

http://themarineinstallersrant.blogspot ... .html#more
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SAN FRANCISCO CA

Re: Some words of selling wisdom...and other stuff

Post by slimjim »

Doug, That's some funny stuff.
Plimsoll_Line
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Columbus, OH
Location: Cruised from Lake Michigan to Lauderdale to Tampa Bay - Boating Alum Crk - Ky Lake - Grand LK StMary

Post by Plimsoll_Line »

Yes, Very Good Advice.... Have bought and sold a few boats with and without brokers. This is well worth the read. Am down sizing and have seen one Albin 27 SC which I could not, and I mean not, believe the broker even took the listing. And secondly, the broker had the "guts" to show the boat to me!!!! It was "Rough" in the true sense of the world. A rough boat, leaves you wondering... But as the saying goes... Takes All Kinds
StandSure
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Wickford, RI, USA

Post by StandSure »

The last 2 paragraphs say it all! Just went through this process on the buyer’s side. We eventually pulled out after survey and sea trial. Thank god for the honest surveyor! Beware the broker who says:” You’re walking away from a great boat, I have tons of guys standing in line, waiting for your deal to fall through”. I think he spent his commission before he had it.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Very good article. I’m sure I have a t-shirt based on it somewhere.
On a related note, after spending time and some $ on Mazboot over the past 5 years I’m pretty pleased with the results, so I had her surveyed for my own benefit. Apart from a pleasing result, the surveyor made a couple of suggestions for “things to think about”, all of which are self-do-able.
Of course there are always “things to think about” in an experienced boat, but at least the list gets briefly shorter until I get bored again.

are
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
GeorgeS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bristol, RI

Post by GeorgeS »

The advice to get a knowledgeable surveyor is only the starting point of proper due diligence before buying a used boat no matter how shiny or decrepit it is. It also is important to get a mechanical survey if it is a power boat and also get ahold of all the maintenance and service records from the attending boatyards for at least the prior ten years. The reputable yards will email these to you with very little hesitation if you are the new prospective owner. Not doing any of the foregoing is at your own risk and peril, as many of us find out a bit too late and the costs of these inspections are minimal compared to the costs of repairs and rectifying prior hidden defects and deferred maintenance.

Return to “Swap / Trade / Sell”