• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

she gets the job done

Moderator: RobS

LISal
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Merrick, NY

she gets the job done

Post by LISal »

For anyone out there thinking of buying or taking there 28te offshore i wanted to let you know besides the range this vessel was built for it. We used her this year for many overnight trips to the canyon. Averaging close to 300 miles a trip. I would bring an extra 25-30 gallons of fuel but we always goto into port with over 40 gallons. I wouldn't take the trip without the extra fuel but you defianlety could if you stick to your voyage plan. I find to many times when you get out to the grounds that you may have to travel additional miles to find fish and would never want to have to turn away from fish because I didn't have the range. The fish boxes drain into bilge and for that reason i only use them for dry storage. I do plan on putting in some hoses over the winter to direct that water elsewhere. If you could actually use the fish boxes it would help free up room on the deck. Currently I have to bring two 200 quart coolers which makes the deck a bit tight, Being I have the engine box version.
This was my first year with her and not only did we go offshore but we took a cruise from western long island which is her home port Point Lookout to montauk for a few weeks and then we went through the cape cod canal and up to NH stopping along the way in Martha's vineyard , Providence Rhode island, and then to gloucester where we attempted to catch a giant for about week. We did not catch the giant Bluefin tuna we had set out for but we did have an amazing trip. We spent over 40 days aboard SeaCilian and never once thought to get a room. When we planned the trip we thought we would be looking to stay in hotels some nights but found the accommodations aboard our 28te to be more than comfortable. I am over 6ft and learned that all the seating folds up to give you an extra couple of inches that made it possible for us both the stretch out. We also put a memory foam mattress for comfort.
The seas that we encountered this year where pretty good but as to be expected when taking such a voyage we did hit weather a few times and she handles everything wonderfully the words sea worthy and brick sh*t House kept comming to mind whenever the weather turned on us which it did a few times. I felt confident to go out when many others stayed behind. I have to say its an amazing vessel she has the power to get you out there but when i run her at 2850rpm around 15-17 knts i can get close to 3 miles per gallon. She is not a speed demon but can cruise over 20 knts at 3200ish.
If you are on the fence just do it you won't be disappointed on amazon you can buy 14 gallon gas cans for $125 i strap 2 of them to my swim platform and then run out to the canyon at 3250rpm we stop around the virginia area to catch live bait and get the fuel of the swim platform as i don't like having all the weight back there. Its a little bit of a pia to lift tanks but i choose the larger tanks over 7 five gallon but you could use smaller tanks if you don't want to have to lift over 100 pounds of fuel. I would think if you have flush deck the extra 30 gallons would do the trick.
Bluewater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Burnt Store Marina, Punta Gorda, FL

Re: she gets the job done

Post by Bluewater »

Agreed. We are now on our third Albin and our second 28TE. What engine and prop do you have to get those speed/rpm numbers?
David
Albin 28TE 2000
Yanmar 6LP-STE

Ex Albin 28TE 1994 Peninsular 300
Ex Albin 43 (Lehman) and many sailboats
LISal
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Merrick, NY

Re: she gets the job done

Post by LISal »

The vessel has had its prop tweaked each year by bosler and sweezy by the prior owner. I am pulling Seacilian today and taking the prop off to be conditioned as he did. I will get you the exact numbers when i do. To answer your question the yanmar with the transmission that came with the peninsular. The original owner yanked the peninsular and had the yanny put in back in 09.

Return to “Fishing”