• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Wanted: 36 ET with twins

midnight
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Guilford, CT

Re: Wanted: 36 ET with twins

Post by midnight »

Yes Joreyn, those are the vents on the outside of the hull and because of some you ET owners posts I was aware of the issue. I actually was able to go down and see water coming thru them on our run up from New Jersey.
Definitely need to come up with a solution, any ideas out there? Does anybody out there have one of the boats Albin fixed? Obviously they eventually filled in the holes in the mold. I don't think glassing them over and faring them in would be effective or long lasting not to mention having to paint the hull...
I'm think of making some plates up and bolting them thru the same holes.
Capt. Chris
USCG 200 Ton master
'Midnight Rambler'
1999 Albin 36 ET #106
Guilford, CT
http://www.thatboatguy.com
Safety First

*Former Boats*
1989 Albin 32 Sportfisher
2005 Albin 35 Command Bridge
1993 Albin 32 Sportfisher
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

I suspect those vents contributed to the sinking on its maiden voyage. I have FRP inserts that seem to have been made at the factory. They incorporate an Albin logo. I'd think you could have something fabricated that is similar. I think Star Board would work for the material. You could use one of the vents as a template, Then painted to match.

Blue Moon does have the vetus vents, which are necessary, but the are inboard in the cockpit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

midnight wrote:Yes Joreyn, those are the vents on the outside of the hull and because of some you ET owners posts I was aware of the issue. I actually was able to go down and see water coming thru them on our run up from New Jersey.
Definitely need to come up with a solution, any ideas out there?
On the 31 TE we have the same vents mentioned in this post and pictured on your boat, but only one and at mid-ship. On the inside of the vents there are dorade boxes made by Vetus that keep the water out, but in my experience and because of the vents location it's only spray and the boxes keep it out of the engine room. Do you have the inside dorade boxes? If not they will certainly help.
Vetus Vents.Dorade Boxes.pdf
Vent & D Box.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

Our 31 has a home made dorade box made from about 3/8 inch plexiglass. Just a oval base with V-trough to deflect the water and to drain back out.Glued together with silicone and screwed to the vent.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

amber jj wrote:Our 31 has a home made dorade box made from about 3/8 inch plexiglass. Just a oval base with V-trough to deflect the water and to drain back out.Glued together with silicone and screwed to the vent.
Thanks for the picture!

I've got the same ones on my 31 & though I agree and also thought they were "home made" by Albin they were actually the originals made and sold by Vetus that have been discontinued and replaced with the one that I pictured above. One of mine was cracked and I picked up a leftover original on clearance from Hamilton Marine.

Update: New style Dorade Box for 2006 31TE: DBOX100 married to the ASV100 vent aluminum vent (also availabele as SSV100 / stainless) Best to measure to confirm the size on for your particular hull.
Last edited by Pitou on Sat May 06, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
midnight
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by midnight »

Thanks Guys!
I had the same ones on our 35 CB and they seemed to work fine. In this case the vents are so low that the water literally jets in and not sure they would completely eliminate the water intrusion. On the 35 CB and looks like on the 31 TE as well the vent is right below the hull to deck joint, much higher. Also on the 35 CB the vent was further forward it seems, kind of forward of where the water rides up the hull on a quartering sea. I think I might order one from Vetus and have a look at it. I also have a buddy with a machine shop looking at making some covers like Joreyn's and then putting the vents on the inside
Capt. Chris
USCG 200 Ton master
'Midnight Rambler'
1999 Albin 36 ET #106
Guilford, CT
Safety First

*Former Boats*
midnight
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by midnight »

Yes Carl, this boat has been on the bottom of the Chesapeake. Sixteen years ago.... :o
Capt. Chris
USCG 200 Ton master
'Midnight Rambler'
1999 Albin 36 ET #106
Guilford, CT
Safety First

*Former Boats*
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joreyn »

There is a company in Florida (Ocoee) that does custom work in Starboard. You might have to send them one of the vents to use as a template.
Starboard is the perfect material for your purpose.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joreyn »

The company's web site is Boatoutfitters.com.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joreyn »

Turns out you can't paint Starboard but it does com in colors, including blue, black and white.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Starboard is not ideal when it comes to making a water-tight seal due to the fact that it does not bond well with sealants/adhesives. Coosa board may be a better choice..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joreyn »

Rob may be right. You would attach Starboard with screws with a sealant between it an the mounting surface. Boatoutfitters also provides Coosa board, and I presume they can do custom work in the material. You would definitely have to paint Coosa as it is not UV stable.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”