• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

NSC 40 Gray water pump?

flyingscotsman
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: San Diego

NSC 40 Gray water pump?

Post by flyingscotsman »

Hi Guys,

I'm the proud owner of Hull #1. Purchased in Florida, shipped overland to San Diego. I'm having a problem with gray water. The tank is full and the pump is not working. When I activate it at the panel, the lamp illuminates and I can see an increase in amps drawn, but no water pumped out... Problem is, I can't find the pump, which I'm assuming has failed. Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Cheers!
TFS
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: NSC 40 Gray water pump?

Post by N4QC »

Try and trace the discharge line from the tank to the pump and then from the pump to the discharge outlet. You might encounter a shut off valve which has been installed to conform with clean water requirements of federal, state and/or local regulations…

Happy researching,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

There is a valve directly below the hatch as you enter the salon. It has a blue handle on my boat. It's way down deep in the bilge. When it is oriented in the same direction as the hose, it is open and your macerator should pump out. The macerator is a 12 volt Jabsco pump, which should be located on the bulkhead immediately below the salon door. You'll be able to trace the hose from the holding tank to the pump, and from there down to the valve and from the valve to the thru-hull.

Remember, this is your sewage holding tank. It's actually "black" water, nor "grey" water. Grey water drains directly overboard from the shower and the wash basins. So don't pump unless you are outside of three miles from shore. Surely there are pump-outs conveniently located. But, maybe not if you are down in Mexican waters. Just make sure the valve is closed when you are within 3 miles of the US shoreline. And leave the macerator breaker in the off position.

By the way, nice to have identified the skipper of hull#1. In this forum, you'll find a thread about hull numbers. It is lead by AK_Albin36. There is a spreadsheet with all of the 36ETs listed. Contact AK_Albin36 to get your boat added.

Welcome!
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
flyingscotsman
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by flyingscotsman »

Many thanks for the info. The NSC 40 has separate gray and black water tanks (according to the specs) There are also separate circuit breakers on the control panel. The galley sink does drain directly overboard. I can't even find the tanks, so it's hard to trace them back. Any further info would be much appreciated,
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joreyn »

I'm sorry, I didn't read your caption. Thought you were talking about a 36ET.

Holding tanks are plastic usually. You'll need to pull up deck hatches until you find one or more holding tanks. The water and fuel tanks are metal usually (stainless or aluminum).

Don't be surprised if there really is only a black water tank. If your galley sink drains overboard, check the head sink and the shower pump. If they all drain overboard, you probably don't have a separate tank. Or, if you do, there may be Y-valves to divert the grey water to the tank.

A little more complicated than I thought, but start pulling up hatches and you'll figure it out. Look for y-valves under the sinks. Look for plastic tanks. The process of elimination works every time.

My 36ET has a couple of breakers that are connected to wiring harnesses, but they don't go anywhere. For example, I have a breaker for a live bait well, but I don't have a bait well. It was an option, but the DC panels were made the same whether you took the option or not.

What was the name of your boat when you bought it in Florida? Good chance the former owner is an AOG participant.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
flyingscotsman
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by flyingscotsman »

Thanks for the comeback. The boat was and still is named Blue Moon - uncanny eh? :-)
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joreyn »

The former owner was tbnolin. He has many posts on the board. Send him a private message and he'll be able to give you all the details. He owned it for many years, and I think he probably knows it like the back of his hand.

Just type tbnolin into the search field.

I read an article in the BoatUS magazine that stated that Blue Moon was one of the most popular names among the Coast Guard registered boats. I know of at least one other Albin on the West Coast alone.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
flyingscotsman
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by flyingscotsman »

Great - thanks!
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Hey there Steve! I sent you a PM. I hope it will help you out. Enjoy Blue Moon for us. She handled a part of the Atlantic without a problem!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
JerseyNSC40
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mantoloking, NJ

Post by JerseyNSC40 »

There is definitely a seperate black and gray water tank. My black water tank is midship low under 2 of the 4 D cell batteries. The Gray water tank appears to be behind the wall just aft of the Port engine, this is based on hearing it running, I have not had an issue that has caused me to go on a serious hunt for it. The original manual shows them at the forward end of the engine room to port and starboard, where they are not! My friend Greg has his gray water tank in that area on his NSC40 aft to port.

Here is the way mine works the galley sink is the only overboard discharge. Forward sate room sink and shower have a large sump pump, labeled on panel as Shower pump. It has sink and shower drain into it and has a float valve which pumps aft to the gray water tank. The float valve can come on and off at night if there is a small amount of water in it and be very annoying so we turn it off at night. I only activate the gray water pump after each shower and as needed. I suggest not keeping it on all the time as it may stick open and burn out the pump. There is a tank indicator on my boat for each tank. If you do not empty gray water it will drain over to black water tank. This was done to accomodate complete No discharge zones.

The aft head sink and shower sump in the floor drain right into the gray water tank. I actually turned off my aft shower as the forward shower is so much nicer we all use it or the outdoor transom shower. We do not like to soak everything in the shower with the handheld aft version.

The other thing to check is the exit for the gray water, each outlet on the hull has a check valve to prevent a slapping wave from running up the line. The flapper valve is metal and sometimes sticks. They have access by a large not on top where you may be able to insert a snake or coat hanger? Another good method is a nice solid whack in the right spot with a wrench of hammer. Before going in I always soak each fitting with a big dose of WD40 externally. You will probably notice a metal slapping sound when you run your generator which is confirmation of the metal check valve. Where my gray water exits is on port right at the water line and right below the sliding door.

Sorry for long message but it took me awhile to figure this out, it is nothing like the 36. I have some original manuals with drawings for all the systems. Happy to provide them to you if you would like them. Good Luck!

Craig
AlbinNSC40
Craig
flyingscotsman
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by flyingscotsman »

Hi Craig, Many thanks for the detailed response - it sure sounds like a complicated set-up, further complicated by inconsistencies int the manuals :-) I did get a set of drawings with the boat but it sounds like they may be incorrect. I'll PM you my email address and would be grateful if you could send yours over for comparison.

Cheers,
Steve
JerseyNSC40
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mantoloking, NJ

Post by JerseyNSC40 »

Steve I am pretty sure what you have manual info which was supplied by me to the original owner Tom. I have hull 007 and it is not completely correct for mine either but close. If you want anything I would be happy to send or scan it over to you.
Look under sink in aft head and try to trace that clear sink discharge line. This line is gravity drain to gray tank. Also turn on pump for short time and see if can hear anything in ER probably aft to port.
You can eliminate the gray water by running all overboard like galley sink. The shower sump forward handles sink and shower run that discharge line could be sent directly overboard. In aft head I disabled shower as is too messy and have all use forward shower. All you have aft is the sink and a very easy 1 line overboard run. This is my plan B if and when mine fails. When it is working it is not complex and functions fine. When shower turn on shower pump after turn on gray water to empty.
Good luck
Craig
AlbinNSC40
Craig
flyingscotsman
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by flyingscotsman »

Thanks Craig - I'm heading down to the boat tomorrow for further "investigation".
Many thanks,
TFS
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Hey Craig! Thanks giving our friend all the info. The manuals did go with the boat and weren't perfect but fairly close. They were a big help to me locating lines. Steve, I forgot all about the flapper valve....certainly worth a check! Let us know how you make out.
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
flyingscotsman
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by flyingscotsman »

Guys, thanks for all your help. There were actually two problems: the sump pump in the forward bilge for the shower had failed - it's a real pain to get that hatch off the "box". The check valve for the gray water tank was stuck. It's nice to know there are so many helpful owners out there. It's really appreciated.
Cheers!
TFS

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”