• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Labor Day in Alaska

AK_Albin36
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Whittier, Alaska

Labor Day in Alaska

Post by AK_Albin36 »

Would have been nice to see everyone at the PNW rendezvous...
Maybe we could do one in Alaska sometime?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2004 Albin 36 ET "EvenTide"
Single Cat 3126B 450
Whittier, Alaska
Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Home, Treasure Island, Florida

Re: Labor Day in Alaska

Post by Chuck Waygood »

A fabulous photo!! Brought back memories of my army time in Alaska. Thanks for posting.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Wow: You do the posting and see what kind of interests you get. John Collins can help you with the preliminary. Some of the group seems to get around to the Brockton's annually, but few all the way to Alaska. Maybe some could fly in?
You could also do that for the next NW Rendezvous likely at Port Townsend. Would be happy to pick you up at Bellingham Airport.
Your 36 looks great & what a picture. Sure would like to do that one day!
We might even get our old friend Chuck Waygood out for something like a Alaska. What do you say to that Chuck?
whwells "Howard"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I am officially jealous.

Side note: I notice that the boat has a slight port list. Is this normal? Ours tends to have a starboard list. I've always attributed it to the galley and batteries being on the starboard side. But we also have a genset, and four additional golf-cart batteries to port, so I'm not really sure what it is.

Do you have issues with the fuel shifting to one side or the other while at rest?
AK_Albin36
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Whittier, Alaska

Post by AK_Albin36 »

Mine is level when the dinghy stowed in its normal position (to starboard). I am in the dinghy taking the shot.

This is really rough math, but its closer than not.... Our boats are 37.5' long and 12.8 ft wide... but the waterplane area is only equivalent to a box with dimensions of about 26 X11 ft, due to the shape of the hull. Do some math on that and you'll find it takes about 180 lbs added to the rail to produce a 1 degree heel. To check this, measure the water line on the side of the hull from the dock, and then standing onboard. Pretty close to an inch, or more if you are heavier.

Humans are REALLY sensitive to heel angles. We don't feel flat until within about a degree of dead flat. To get yourself back to zero degrees, it typically only takes moving about 80-100 lbs from one side to the other (a full cooler).

Fuel does move between the tanks at rest, if not flat, which does make it slightly worse. But... 1 degree heel only moves about 1/2 inch of fuel from one side to the other, which is only 4 gallons, or 30 lbs. Where passengers are sitting can be a much larger overall influence than the fuel movement.

Hope that helps.
2004 Albin 36 ET "EvenTide"
Single Cat 3126B 450
Whittier, Alaska
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I become concerned (maybe just annoyed?) by heel when drinks start toppling over on the table. This will happen when we get 2-3 adult males sitting around the cockpit table (to starboard) or on the starboard seating on the flybridge. The boat generally has a 1-2' starboard heel with no load, and that increases to about 2-3' with an unbalanced passenger load, and then shifts to 4-5' as the fuel moves over. I can prevent the latter by closing the fuel valves when we anchor or moor (which I always do when we have passengers on board that I expect will want to sit around the table). Adding the tender with the engine to port corrected the heel by about 1-2', meaning it is level at rest, but still tends to go to starboard under otherwise unbalanced conditions, minus that 1 or 2'. We do have an inclinometer, and I watch it closely. I know that the boat isn't going to roll over, but I don't like spilled drinks, and I've also got a toddler who is still working on getting his sea legs.

I was mostly just surprised by the tendency to list to port, rather than starboard, given that I assume our boats are rather similarly equipped.

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”