• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

THE LONG SEARCH FOR A 36 EXPRESS TRAWLER

whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

THE LONG SEARCH FOR A 36 EXPRESS TRAWLER

Post by whwells »

As many know my 35te is gone. There have been a few bumps in the search for a replacement. There is a posting of my boats of interests in the Sales/Trade section. However, hoping those owner's of the Express Series will have an eye out for me. Looking for a very clean 2003-2004 wherever located. My desire is to find such boat well ahead of our next Pac. NW Rendezvous so that I can attend and participate. Please PM if you hear of such a boat on the market.
Hope John will allow this out of section post stand as I want to stay with the Albin family.
whwells "Howard"
Last edited by whwells on Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Re: THE LONG SEARCH FOR A 36 EXPRESS TRAWLER

Post by joreyn »

I'd just say be patient. I note that the Serendipity is not showing "sale pending" yet, so it may yet come back on the market.

As we get into winter/spring there will be a couple coming on the market. It happens every year, or so it seems.

The 36ET attracts a lot of interest as the boat market warms up a bit. This summer, we had four individuals who said "if you ever decide to sell, please let me know." Two of them came some distance to go on the boat while it was in its home port.

Have you thought about one of the older traditional trawlers? There's a 43 in Anacortes. Looks like a great cruiser. Lots of room for company, which I know you value.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Joreyn: The 43 is a Classic Trawler at Anacortes Marina. It is actually a clean unit. Have spoken to the out of state owner in the past in an effort to have them attend out Pac. Rendezvous. A modern boat of whatever style is all I would want to consider. The Ventura boat is likely going through the usual surveys. Broker feels it is a solid deal.
Agree with you there will be other boats of interests. Would be nice to have some announcement by the time of the Seattle after Boat Show. Spoke with Dave and we will get that pre meet going.
whwells "Howard"
HJC
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: San Francisco

Post by HJC »

Just spent close to 2k getting boat/engines surveyed in Ventura .....many problems, be careful with this one. also overpriced considering no genset/AC etc. Really like layout, etc. Would only reconsider if MAJOR price reduction and deficiencies could be corrected.

Jim
Boat head
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Hallieford Va

Post by Boat head »

I am also looking for a 36 Express, does,nt have to be mint ,just need the price to be right/fair. Does anyone have any info on the one in Fort Lauderdale .Broker says a 5 out of 10 and needs detailing which usually means neglect. I'm in Va. and would like any possible ,input,info,etc.before I start doing a road trip.
Cheers
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Boathead: Did you ever find the information you wanted on the Florida Exoress Trawler?
whwells "Howard"
Boat head
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Hallieford Va

Post by Boat head »

Actually no ,seems we have been on the same quest ,just sent you some info .on the Clapperboard Lady
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I have the perfect boat for you. Unfortunately, we've grown rather attached to it and have no plans to sell it. Good luck.

There was a green hulled 2004 down in Sausalito, CA for sale when we bought ours. Nearly identical, but had more hours on the engine. Maybe it's still around?
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joreyn »

I think that one moved to Alaska. Eventide. AK_Alaska
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Mariner: Agreed. Saw your boat at our first NW Rendezvous. Have considered one ever since. Looks like I will have to broaden the search as they won't ship from NE w/o flybridge removal and wanted 6500. for that job. Crazy when last boat was 2500.
There is a still the winter ahead. I have passed on the Ventura boat as well. Frankly, is more a fixer upper than I want to do deal with.
whwells "Howard"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

$6,500 sounds fairly reasonable for cross-country. We paid about $3,000 from Vallejo, CA to Tacoma, WA. That is after we shopped around after being quoted $4,000 by Dudley. That was 2005; since then, the price of crude oil has roughly doubled.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Mariner: Wish that were the case. The boat would be on the way. The lowest bid was 16,500 to transport and the next 20,500 all requiring R&R of the bridge. That would be a huge undertaking for the Express Trawler. The 6500. was minimum to remove by the hour and a max. of 7500. and then who knows what it would cost to reinstall in Anacortes, Wa. These boats can be shipped w/o flybridge removal except out of the NW New England states where the roads and bridges were not made for this. Well, that is what they tell me and I have asked several shippers.
The boat has a a few other issues. The electronics were custom design back in it's day but junk now. Duel stations new Raymarine at least 15,000.
The engines have not be retro fitted for the valve problems unique to Yanmar for a couple years. There was a class action and I don't know how this one did not get done. He has also never done the timing belts & Yanmar recomends 6 years or 1200 hours. I know of at least one that blew up at 800 hours because that owner did not go by the either 6 years or 1200 hours. That is another 3,000 fix. Probably 3,000-4,000 for the valves.
I would still try to work something out but for the cost to remove and ship.
Having 150,000-160,000 in 2001 is a hard investment. Rather I buy yours and no I do not have a Million.
Howard
sandylee
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Portsmouth, RI

Post by sandylee »

Hello All,

Seems I haven't visited the sight in a while, yet timing is everything. My wife and I have some major and positive changes in our lives this year, and sadly, they won't allow for nearly the amount of time we want to spend on "Sandy Lee". She'll be going on the market shortly after she gets wet in a couple of weeks. She is the last 36 Express Trawler made, and was the 2004 Annapolis Power Boat show boat. She is formerly the "Barbara G", based in Annapolis, and I brought her home to Rhode Island in July 2008. She has twin Yanmar 315's with about 750 hrs that have been lovingly and fully maintained annually. Legitimately cruises at 15 knots using 11.5 gals/hr, tops out at 20 knts. She has a complete suite of Raytheon electronics up and down, a 6.5kW genset, full reverse cycle A/C, and a whole lot more. I'd be delighted to provide more information to whomever is in need. My only challenge is, when my wife and I have completed what we need to, what the next vessel will be. We've been spoiled with "Sandy Lee". Posts here are welcome and I'll respond as I can, and my direct email is lee.traibman@nm.com.
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joreyn »

Quite a few people have been looking for a well maintained 36ET. As you know, there are not many of them. Post some photos when you have a chance, and when it's for sale, post in the "For Sale" forum.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
sandylee
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Portsmouth, RI

Post by sandylee »

Thanks, joreyn, I appreciate the input. She's for sale now, just not advertised. I will certainly post picks when she splashes and is fully commissioned and decked out. Couple of weeks soonest, as we've had a miserable and long winter in the northeast. In the interim I'll post what I wrote in the for sale section. Thanks.

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”