• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Tightening Hand Rails

midnight
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Guilford, CT

Tightening Hand Rails

Post by midnight »

Has any body had to or attempted to tighten up the hand rails? Seems like it would not be easy and probably a single nut on the underside of the bulwarks....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Capt. Chris
USCG 200 Ton master
'Midnight Rambler'
1999 Albin 36 ET #106
Guilford, CT
http://www.thatboatguy.com
Safety First

*Former Boats*
1989 Albin 32 Sportfisher
2005 Albin 35 Command Bridge
1993 Albin 32 Sportfisher
Lenovo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point, California

Re: Tightening Hand Rails

Post by Lenovo »

Hello Captain Chris,
I had this same situation when I purchased Salty Dog (2001 express trawler)back in 2001.
A San Diego boatyard had the tenacity and patience to address the challenge. A lot of crawling around under the salon as well as the removal of panels throughout the boat was required to access the bolts to remove one by one coat the threads with loctite and reinstall. Well worth the time and effort as properly mounted rails are a safety must.
Tony
Lenovo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point, California

Post by Lenovo »

Typo. I purchased Salty Sog in 2012.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Reading your comments with intersts on the rails. Did some damages to my former 35te and it was a mess for the repair shop to remove and repair. Have not noticed an issue with Sea Knoll but I do intend to check it out next trip up. Was impressed that they are really heavy duty rails on the 36ET.
whwells "Howard"
36 ET Express 2005
Former 35Te Flybridge 2006
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

Have not needed to tighten the rails on our ET. They are , as Howard said , very strong .

Also , combined with the bulwarks, the rails sit up higher than on many boats. So they really help when walking around the boat,especially when underway . I'm 6 feet tall , and the rails are right at my belt line.

On some boats I have to bend over to hang on to the rails .
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”