• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Thru hulls aplenty

davb1947
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Joseph, MI

Thru hulls aplenty

Post by davb1947 »

We spent last week in NY (10 drive each way) working on Molly in the boat barn. Brrrrrr! First time I’ve seen her out of the water. (We bought her last September, spent a week cleaning her up in October, and weren’t there for her haulout and winterization.) I counted 3 transducers for depth, 1 for speed, 11 thru hulls, and 8 waterline discharges. None of the seacocks moved. Several were under things that were fixed in place (two, for example, under the shelf built for the water heater). One hose attached to a frozen open seacock fell apart in our hands.

We serviced all the seacocks, cut access holes were needed, and diagramed all locations. The thought of searching for a seacock that was frozen open and inaccessible drove us on.

Battery cables were found to be crumbling away. Shorts just waiting to happen. No wonder boat fires are the number one cause of loss. Replaced cables. Plan to install fuses on them next time.

We pulled out bags of wires that connected to nothing, and discovered some very novel wiring. Traced wires and labeled as many as we could. Rewired a bunch of stuff.

Forty years of entropy works hard on these boats, but we’re reversing it by the application of large amounts of energy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Dave
Albin 36
Molly
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Thru hulls aplenty

Post by Nancy »

That's a great start on critical systems!

Please remind me - where in NY is Molly now? How are you planning to transport home?
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

The winter/spring that we bought our 40 I removed 4 thru hulls and glassed them up. 2 for raw water intake for the heads, 2 for toilet overboard discharge.
I changed the heads to use the onboard domestic water since we carry over 200 gallons. And we discharge into the holding tank and get pumped out so no need for useless thru hulls.
The next winter I replaced all remaining thru hulls because I don't like old $hit that's waiting to break.
I can't count high enough to know how many discharges I have, but I did add one for an additional bilge pump but it's well above the WL.
You won't regret changing those out. You'll sleep better.
Best of luck!
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jschomig
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Annapolis, Maryland

Albin 28 TE Seacock locations?

Post by jschomig »

I plan to operate an Albin 28 TE. My usual procedure is to close a boat's seacocks whenever it is not being used. I am not sure where the seacocks are located on these boats?
Key2Cay
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental, NC

Post by Key2Cay »

We have a 1987 Albin 36 and you are so right about reversing years of entropy. I have several non-functioning thru hulls that need to be replaces are removed when I haul out early next year. Good luck with your repairs.
Tom Brown
1987 Albin 36 "Key 2 Cay"
Hull #414
Oriental, NC

Return to “36/37/40/43”