• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

43 Trunk Cabin Trawler engine repower poll

brassbrendan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: key west, florida

43 Trunk Cabin Trawler engine repower poll

Post by brassbrendan »

I'm slowly making progress on repair/refit of grounded, partially submerged 1986 43 Trawler. Lehman 135's were submerged, not pickled, and now have heads off with cylinders and crankcase filled with ATF/Kroil/Acetone/MMO.
Heads/Valves look salvageable, but if engines need to come apart completely, I'll replace. Storage is pricey in current location. I'm doing much of the work.
Money is an issue, so on replacing, I'm considering 1 good 2726t Ford Mermaid 175 HP from a reputable shop, and 1 new old-inventory Ford 2726t marinated by Ford. I can get the pair for around $11k or $12k. I believe these would be better than Lehman 120's for similar price. 135's May yet turn up, but would cost as much.
Do any members have power plants in this range? What is your experience?
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Re: 43 Trunk Cabin Trawler engine repower poll

Post by Panhdjoe »

I would stick with the 135's parts and rebuild service are readily available. You would not need to work out new props or go through re working motor mounts and fuel lines ect. Swapping engines types is always more complicated than one would think. plus the Lehmans are darn good engines. the ones you have may be OK. Were they locked up or what?
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Talk to a reputable rebuilder (yelp reviews). Unless it's fused they should be able to pull it apart and dip then rebuild. As a young man I rebuilt engines and compressors. In most cases it can be rebuilt.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
brassbrendan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by brassbrendan »

Rebuilds would cost almost as much as the 2726t's. I am under belief/delusion proposed replacements would match up to wiring/gauges. Gearboxes match and footprint dimensions are identical. Props are off for repair anyway, so pitch change is no biggie.
I live quite far from boat and am paying Key West storage rates. Only have a week here and there to work. last time, I didn't have correct pulley adapter, so couldn't get good torque on flywheel. I took care of other work.
Engines weren't running when grounded - I don't think cylinders are fused. I have a truck at yard, so I can escape with pulled 135s, which should have some value elsewhere. BTW; I've got yard pirates wondering why I'm not throwing money at them. I think I should move as soon asap.
brassbrendan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by brassbrendan »

Rebuilds would cost almost as much as the 2726t's. I am under belief/delusion proposed replacements would match up to wiring/gauges. Gearboxes match and footprint dimensions are identical. Props are off for repair anyway, so pitch change is no biggie.
I live quite far from boat and am paying Key West storage rates. Only have a week here and there to work. last time, I didn't have correct pulley adapter, so couldn't get good torque on flywheel. I took care of other work.
Engines weren't running when grounded - I don't think cylinders are fused. I have a truck at yard, so I can escape with pulled 135s, which should have some value elsewhere. BTW; I've got yard pirates wondering why I'm not throwing money at them. I think I should move as soon asap.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Your assumptions sound reasonable to me and I agree that what you are thinking would be better than rebuilding questionable engines.
You can only change prop pitch by 2 inches, but that should get you in the ballpark if the new tranny ratios are the same.
I "assume" the new engines are sea water aftercooled. If so I would change them to antifreeze cooled when you install them. You'll take a hit on horsepower, but probably not at cruising speeds.
You'll get a big increase in longevity and ease of maintenance.
Add a pyrometer to monitor EGT and you'll be safe.

Good luck with the project.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
brassbrendan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by brassbrendan »

Thank you for help, especially to Jay.

I'm wondering if I should include 120's as possible replacement for 135's.
Would boat be under-powered?
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

brassbrendan wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:24 pm Thank you for help, especially to Jay.

I'm wondering if I should include 120's as possible replacement for 135's.
Would boat be under-powered?
There is essentially no difference in the performance you'd get. You'd be cruising around 7 to 8 knots regardless. And fuel consumption will be based on horsepower actually used, and these engines will use the same for all practical purposes.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
brassbrendan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by brassbrendan »

Many thanks, Jay.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I believe the 120's are rated at 100rpm less than the 135hp. Jay could confirm. If so the 120's "may" need to have a tad more prop than the 135's to be propped right...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

I have never heard of the 2726t mermaid's. is there a good part's and tec support shop. Can you tell us more about them. how is the project going?
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki

Return to “36/37/40/43”