• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Leak

kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Leak

Post by kjg1951 »

We have a 1983 36 albin ...
In the aftcabin on the starboard side not in the head but where the desk is I have a leak . Can’t seem to locate where it is coming from . Any thoughts ??could be from the deck ??? Or maybe you have had the same issue. Thank you
Kevin g
Oriental nc
Last edited by kjg1951 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Re: Leak

Post by cdsailor »

My guess would be one of the scuppers. They pass through the bulwark, bridging the gap between the inner bulwark on the outer hull, which, unfortunately, potentially provides a direct path for water to enter the cabin.
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

First most likely candidate is the window. The deck is a possibility. If the windows have never been redone the time has come. The original sealer breaks down and the rain water leaks through, check around the bottom of the wood trim around the window for sighs of wet wood, I just finished doing the one above the birth. I got tired of being dripped on at night in a hard rain. Now the two on the starboard side are the only ones on the boat that have not been redone.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Make sure the drains on the window tracks are clear.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Post by kjg1951 »

CD Sailor
what should I look for with the scuppers? and how should I go about sealing ?
Thanks
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Post by cdsailor »

I've not tackled the scuppers personally, although I know that one or two of ours leak. A friend repaired his by wrapping them in fiberglass, which I'm sure was an awkward affair given the limited access. I'm sorry I don't have more helpful input than that. Let us know what you find and how you approach the fix.
pmcn@hotmail.com
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westport, MA

Post by pmcn@hotmail.com »

My scuppers leaked, my deck leaked on my 84. I removed the teak decks, re-cored some areas and re-applied the the skins. When the weather improves I will lay down glass, fair, etc. Layers of glass are to bring the deck up to the scupper level. The problem with the scuppers (on mine) is they are thin fiberglass oval shaped tubes that have a flange on the outside. They bridge the space between the inner gunwale skin and outer with the flange on the outer. On the inside the scupper just meets the inside gunwale through a very rough cut opening and was filled in with something like 5200 or life chalk and painted over. The suppers were very brittle but I was able to carefully removed them and strengthened them with epoxy and cloth in some places, made gunwale holes smaller on the inside and reinstalled them using THIXO flexible epoxy from Jamestown distributors. I think this could be done by just removing the outside teak board next to the scuppers but it wouldn't be easy.
The starboard wall around both the windows was rotted halfway up so I replaced the three sliding windows with windows from a company called Motion Windows.
buchan
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Manly, Brisbane. Australia

Post by buchan »

If I have this correct , the 36 has a teak strip at the aft cabin housing to deck.
These are very suspect when they age - I had similar problems with my Albin 36 (1983) till I redid the teak deck ( removed teak and redid the deck with fiberglass non slip)
The other suspect is the aft windows - even though they are not directly in line with desk any seepage will track down into the cabin - you usually see what appears to be brown stains.

Regards,
buchan (australia)

Return to “36/37/40/43”