• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Keel full of water

rogerfayjr
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Northport NY USA

Keel full of water

Post by rogerfayjr »

I just had the privilege of acquiring a 1981 36 Albin. It let loose of it’s mooring last season, had a run in with something hard before being towed in and hauled and as a result has a few dings in the keel. It’s on blocks in the marina and those dings are dripping. I did a good scouring and found that a previous owner had installed a autopilot sensor with 2 1/2 in screws (one going completely through hull) into the bottom of the hold at the lowest point.
The rain water leaked in through everywhere it could and found its way through the screw holes.

My thoughts to fix are 1) plugging the holes in the hold to stop further water going through and 2) by cutting off the lower section of the keel to expose (about 8’ in total by 1 1/2”) the wetness to let dry, drill holes to drain, plug with resin soaked dowels and reglass section of keel once dry...

Anyone have any experience, advice of warnings on said topic?

Thank you in advance for you help.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Keel full of water

Post by jleonard »

I had a keel full of water in mine when I bought it. Same deal screws went thru the bilge.
Mine was dripping in one place just below the stern tube.
I ended up drilling and tapping for a bronze Allen head pipe plug. Now that the water had a path to flow out I was able to do patch the cracks that the water was coming out of.
The keel is filled with concrete so it will take a very long time to dry out. Knowing that I caulked the plug and put the boat in the water for the season.
At fall haul out I would remove the plug and let it drain over the Ct winter.
After 4 years it stopped dripping and I stopped removing the plug.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
rogerfayjr
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Northport NY USA

Post by rogerfayjr »

Thank you for your response.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

No problem. There’s more than one way to skin an Albin.
Good luck
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “36/37/40/43”