• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Transom construction

jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: bayville, nj

Transom construction

Post by jashmen »

I have a 1978 36. Is the transom solid fiberglass like the hull? I have a swim platform bolt that is spinning free and I am trying to figure out how to fix it. The bolt appears to be mounted in a block of wood glassed onto the transom. I would post a pic but can't seem to figure it out.
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Re: Transom construction

Post by rebuckley »

Yes, ('82 36DC) my transom is solid fiberglass - found that when I was fixing one of the water tank supports. The support fiberglass was pulling away (inside the lazerette). It seems most of the fixtures are anchored into some form of wood backing that is fiber glassed onto the transom in the lazerette. (I think that is what you were asking?)
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jashmen »

yes, but for the swim platform brackets on the outside. Thanks.
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Post by cdsailor »

Jeffrey,

The transom is solid fiberglass. The swim platform backing blocks are wood glassed to the inside of the transom. Over time the wood gets wet, rots, and the bolts (which are also glassed over) begin to spin or pull through the rotted wood. I went ahead and removed our swim platform last spring, cut the glass with an oscillating tool, removed the wooden blocks, and fabricated solid fiberglass sheet backers to secure the swim platform. Accessing the two outboard backing blocks (aft of the two lazarette water tanks) was a chore. I installed all new fasteners and bedded everything in 4200. Platform is stout and all the fasteners are tight. ;)
jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jashmen »

Thanks! I see that now, does not look fun. I only have one spinning bolt right now, and it is a bottom one. My wife and I had a conference and decided to clean and recaulk the bolts on the outside and reinstall the platform and push this project to next year.

Return to “36/37/40/43”