• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Anchor Chain Locker

crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Anchor Chain Locker

Post by crowra »

My wife and I recently purchased a 36' Albin (1987). We discovered there is no drain hole in the anchor chain locker. Does anyone know if this is a 'feature' of this year Albin? Has anyone installed a drain? Our work around is to use a shop vac to suck the water out, dry with a towel then leave open to air dry.
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Anchor Chain Locker

Post by jleonard »

Mine drains into the bilge
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

Post by bccanucker »

Rob: You've got me thinking. I have a 1988 36. I'll look the next time down
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Despacio »

Mine drains into a compartment under the forepeak. There seems to be no path to the bilge.

My method is to run the chain (I have all chain) into a 5 gallon bucket (with holes in the bottom) directly from the windlass. I then dump some fresh water through the chain, then put it in the locker after it's dry, when convenient.

Some trips the chain just stays in the bucket.
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

Despacio: I love a good 'work around' and your's is a great one -- sounds easier than ours. Thanks!
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
Vic T
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Post by Vic T »

Sorry that I did not see your question previously. Our Albin 1987 '36 had some "stains" in the v-berth when we bought it three seasons ago. We knew it had a problem in the chain locker. As you found out, it had no drain and over the years had some damage. We had a great servcie marina in Maine repair during the winter and install drains. No issues now but it could have had some serious rot on the post if not repaired. The marina was surprised that no drain holes existed.

Vic
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

Post by bccanucker »

Rob: Many thanks for posting this. Boat is new to us this past year and we haven't anchored yet.
Now note there is no drain on outside of hull. Can't move out the chain until spring but will be fixing then.
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

Ours is a 1982 and we did have a drain in our locker, but wa also had rot in the chain locker bulkhead. Like so much of what we did last winter it was a fairly major job but...What we did was remove the entire forward "bulkhead" scraped, painted, 1/4" plate alum on the post (for giggles) and fiberglassed in a new bulkhead made from 7/8" marine teak ply/exterior grade. Then we stripped the nasty old vinyl from the hull sides and installed new tan marine vinyl.

I understand being leary of digging into it this way, but knowing what you've got and not having doubts about the quality of areas you've worked on means a lot when you're pounding into 8-10' seas.

Plus now it looks and smells like a new cabin. :D
The Lass 771.jpg
The Lass 781.jpg
The Lass 846.jpg
The Lass 879.jpg
The Lass 381.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Post by cdsailor »

I will be replacing Molly's anchor locker bulkhead this winter due to rot - much like that encountered by Boatmon. I'm considering the possibility of running the anchor chain right through the anchor locker and into the area under the v-berth. Has anyone done this? I like the fact that it would keep the weight down low and a little farther aft. It also has the benefit of keeping the anchor locker (and bulkhead) dry. As it is, the area drains into the forward bilge. Why not get the wet chain that much closer to the bilge?
My thought at this point, if we pursue this option, is to route the anchor chain through a PVC pipe directly from the windlass and under the v-berth bunkboard. Has anyone done something like this?

Return to “36/37/40/43”