• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Replacing fuel tanks

seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Replacing fuel tanks

Post by seblyte »

Hi All, Just to let you know that I have cut out and replaced my fuel tanks on my 83' Classic 36. Hell of a job but well worth it. We have made a complete DVD of the whole process from lifting the engine, cutting out the tanks and replacing them with polyethlene tanks. Happy to post stills of any of the process if it will help anyone. Also, my old tanks looked O.K. if a little tired but you would not believe what we found. I've uploaded 2 pics. Apparently mild steel corrodes at .2m per year so it's just a matter of time apparently. Horrid, horrid job but once finished and all shiny and new it feels great. Alistair, the yard foreman described the new tanks as sexy!! Happy to answer any questions.
Rust-1.jpg
Rust-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
ace
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Tampa, FL

Re: Replacing fuel tanks

Post by ace »

This is what I am afraid of, they look fine on the outside but are rusted away inside.Is the DVD available online. It seems this is 30K job if handled by a yard.
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Avalon, NJ

Post by psneeld »

Thanks for the informative posts...thinking of doing mine...
Where did you get your tamks?? How big??
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
psalbin43
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fall River, MA

Post by psalbin43 »

Hi, I need to replace my tanks too. I was thinking I could get another year but after seeing the first pic and hearing of rust inside too I think sooner is better. I would like to see any other pics or DVD if available. Also, any thought given to fiberglass tanks?
Looking forward to more helpful hints.

Many Thanks,
Paul
Albin 43
seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Post by seblyte »

Hi, I have just replaced my fuel tanks and have made a DVD of the entire process. This is a job you can actually do yourself so let me know if you want a copy. Regards, Sebastian
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by psneeld »

I'm leaning towards using 6-50 gallon poly tanks. Easy to ship, get into place, transparent for guaging fuel amount, smaller size so baffles aren't necessary, and smaller so I can use just one when storing boat for more than 3 months or so
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

psneeld wrote:I'm leaning towards using 6-50 gallon poly tanks. Easy to ship, get into place, transparent for guaging fuel amount, smaller size so baffles aren't necessary, and smaller so I can use just one when storing boat for more than 3 months or so
One of the 40 Albins I looked at (in Mystic) had it's fuel tanks replaced professionally and they used 2 black poly tanks on each side. I don't recall exactly their individual capacity (I am thinking it was 55 gal) but it looked like a decent way to go. IMHO 200 gallons is more than enough for a boat that uses 2 gal per hour. (one could add a 30 or so gallon "day tank").
I am not 100% sure I liked the way they were plumbed. They had installed indiviual deck fills for each tank. That is fine but the potential future water leak issue makes me nervous.
They also had each side plumbed together at the bottom (or near the bottom) with 1 1/2 inch pipe and shut offs valves to isolate each if desired.
I think I would have gone with leaving the original deck fills and being plumbed together below decks.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by psneeld »

I plan on original deck fill with manifold running along the top for filling and a manifold along the bottom plumbed to a master fuel/filter panel.

I agree 200 gal is probably enough and that's what i may go with...but if the tanks are cheap enough...I just may go ahead with the 300 as it beats some on deck setup if I ever do a long distance between fillups. I am dropping from the 400 original.
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

You don't need a manifold on top to fill...the fuel will fill from the bottom plumbing. The tanks will only have to be vented at the top.
If you install 2 tanks per side you will have lots of storage room left. AND if you plumb right ahead of time you could add tanks afterward if you feel you need to carry more fuel around.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by psneeld »

Unless the lower inlets are pretty significant for each tank, I'm guessing the first tank would fill and foam and be a problem waiting for the other tanks to catch up.....My thoughts were a 2 in pvc upper manifold with valves at each tank and something small say 1/2 inch bronze/brass lower to feed the fuel panel.

Jury is still out on total tankage...but 200 is like you said enough for 90 percent of what I have planned.
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

The boat I looked at had 1 1/2 inch pipe connecting everything at the bottom. There would be zero wait for the fuel to transfer.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by psneeld »

True...just not sure if I want 1 1/2 inch holes on the bottom of the tanks...I know..no big deal... but my way isn't either as I can use pvc where I wouln't on the lower manifold...I'll have to think about it...
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

Post by bccanucker »

Just to throw in for posterity, this companys products saved me $20,000. on my last boat when the tanks started to leak
Their Metal-tech E.G. plugged the holes and their Chemi-tech EP is a 2 part coating that stopped it happening again.
http://www.thortex.com/products.html
Really good company to deal with. They are not that well known in the marine industry because their products are used in bigger markets than ours, all over the world.
If anyone on AOG is interested, get in touch and I will provide more details
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
jmatlaga
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jmatlaga »

Ordered my tanks from custommarinefueltanks.com, gave me the best price
cptnslick
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Maryland

Post by cptnslick »

bccanucker wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:41 pm Just to throw in for posterity, this companys products saved me $20,000. on my last boat when the tanks started to leak
Their Metal-tech E.G. plugged the holes and their Chemi-tech EP is a 2 part coating that stopped it happening again.
http://www.thortex.com/products.html
Really good company to deal with. They are not that well known in the marine industry because their products are used in bigger markets than ours, all over the world.
If anyone on AOG is interested, get in touch and I will provide more details
Hi bccanucker, how is the repair you mentioned holding up? Sorry to dig up an old thread, your private messages seem to be disabled.

Return to “36/37/40/43”