• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New radar

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

New radar

Post by Pedro »

Anyone have a new radar they like?
I’m looking to update my radar and looking at Gramin vs Simrad or the new Raymarine Axiom
I’ve heard the Simrad are not as user friendly as Garmin,,,
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Re: New radar

Post by rebuckley »

I have the Simrad - 3G - and very happy with it. It is a broadband, and very detailed. Playing with it at Block, we could see the dinghy wakes of the dinghies going by. I switched all of my electronics to Simrad (plotters, VHF, AP...) so they have no communication issues at all and networking was essentially "plug and play". I have not used a garmin, so I can not provide a comparison With the new touch screens - I think the user interface for Simrad is pretty simple. (I assume it is similar for most brands now)
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

Wow for 3g that sounds very detailed,
I assume you can mooring balls also?
Simrad go9 with 3g Is priced well at West
now,,,,,Thanks,,
Rabiss
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Charlotte Fl

Post by Rabiss »

I put the raymarine axion in my boat with the radar. It work great, it also tied into my auto pilot
Randy
06 Albin 28
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

Do you have plotter overlay?
I’m assuming that makes the radar more easily readable ?
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

I do on the simrad, the only extra part was the electronic compass to make the overlay work, but I got that when I added the auto pilot
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
Mark Laurnen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes, WA

Post by Mark Laurnen »

I am in the same process. Garmin has been recommended to me repeatedly, but I cannot go there. I have had eleven non-marine garmin products ... multiple handheld GPS’s, four RHINO units, ASTRO dog collar ... largely because of the proprietary technology in the Rhino and Astro units, Four of the units have faiiled, and always soon after the warranty expiration. Garmin’s customer service has been utterly abysmal and I have scrapped several of the units when told the diagnostic fee, not even a repair fee, approaches $100. Extremely disappointing considering Raymarine repaired and upgraded a MFD for free even after the warranty period had lapsed. Based upon my personal experience, I would not recommend a significant monetary investment in any Garmin product or system at the present time.
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

Mark, I am in agreement with you about Garmin Products, I had a small chart plotter that showed my boat traveling up the ICW 300 yards off in the woods garmin support would not even admit it was a problem. it took 3 lengthy phone calls to Garmin to get my 1 year old automotive GPS to update. None for me.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

New Simrad products are in my office. Merry Christmas to me. Forward scan, total scan and 4G radar...
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Pedro wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:05 pm Wow for 3g that sounds very detailed,
I assume you can mooring balls also?
We had a 3G that I installed on our 28. You could absolutely see mooring balls, which was very helpful coming in to our club's mooring field on dark and foggy evenings.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Electronics”