• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Replacing/Upgrading electronics

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
whiteyvt
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Burlington, VT

Replacing/Upgrading electronics

Post by whiteyvt »

I have a Furuno Navnet Vx2 Color video plotter GD-1920C, with incorporated radar 1834C, and a Furuno GP-1850DF color DGPS plotter Echo Sounder. I would like to replace/consolidate these into a single MFD but don't know where to begin and what would be compatible with the connected radar, GPS and depth sounder units I have (maybe they need to be replaced too?)
David White
"WWHIM", Lake Champlain, Burlington VT
2001 Albin 28 (engine box model)
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Re: Replacing/Upgrading electronics

Post by catalina_mike »

Doing my upgrade as we speak to Simrad. 4G, Total Scan, Forward Scan. Bottom paint and all the other stuff.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Hi David -

You might want to call Furuno and ask them about compatibility of new MFD with older subsystems. Based on a conversation I had with Raytheon a couple of years ago about our 2005 equipment, don't hold your breath. :(

Are you uncovered yet? We did that today. :)
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

As far as communicating with other brands, you will be limited to NMEA 0183 data sentences. Not much.
Best bet is to call Furuno like Nancy states and see if the older NavNet can speak to the newer Navnet networks.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Alan_Douville
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint Joseph Michigan, Pier 33

Post by Alan_Douville »

Put in a new Raymarine Axiom System, learned that my new RV-220 Transducers mark fish well < 80 FOW, not so good out deep. Adding in a 3rd transducer now, 1 KW beast which Level 2 Tech suggested...wish I knew that up front.
Alan

2008 28 Albin TE NE
Valkyrie
St. Joseph MI.
Hull Number: AUL 28 942 H 708
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

My surprise was adding a sonar module to bring the forward scan into the system. Only one of the two transducer ports support "high deff" so to speak. So sonar module and ethernet cable.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Falmouth, Maine

Post by Jaredh »

whiteyvt wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:50 pm I have a Furuno Navnet Vx2 Color video plotter GD-1920C, with incorporated radar 1834C, and a Furuno GP-1850DF color DGPS plotter Echo Sounder. I would like to replace/consolidate these into a single MFD but don't know where to begin and what would be compatible with the connected radar, GPS and depth sounder units I have (maybe they need to be replaced too?)
I just went through a similar transition on Isla from a Furuno VX2 setup to the new TZT2 12". Initially I was trying to piece things together using existing peripherals, but ended up replacing everything but the VHF and transducer.

Your existing transducer will likely work with the new furuno stuff, and if you go with the tzt2 there is no need for a sonar black box because the sounder is included.

You would need a new radome. I ended up going with Furuno's DRS4D-NXT and the sea trial yesterday was unbelievable. Radar overlay identified moving targets automatically and projected their course onto the screen based on their current speed and heading.

You would need a heading sensor as well to get the most out of the radar (chart overlay), I think you could use a converter to make your old one work if you have one installed.

We also went with the Navpilot 300 autopilot and the integration with the TZT2 display is really slick. Also added Sirius sat weather as well.

It's not cheap but I am thrilled with the end result. Electronics have come a long way in 15 years!
2003 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck "Isla" (Formerly "Dogonit")
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Good choice Jared.

I went forward with the same system as you in spring of 2017 when the first of the DRS4D-NXT radar antennas hit the market. I also paired it with a 12 inch TZT2 connected to an Airmar tilt transducer. Paired it up to my existing Simrad autopilot and this setup is leaps and bounds ahead of my old '06 NorthStar 6000i.

Wanting a standalone option for the fish finder and liking a full screen for GPS I also added a Furuno FCF 628 that has the same rezboost as the TZT2 that can be switched A or B to display depth/fish finder on either screen.

Over the years, I've had Garmin, Simrad, Northstar & now Furuno gear and am very happy with this choice.

Another nice thing with Furuno is that they continue to support and repair legacy gear well into the future. With both Garmin and Simrad I found support to be pretty good, but as technology advanced support for my legacy gear became non-existent which has left me sour. Maybe things have changed with Garmin and Simrad support, but I keep hearing all good things about Furuno legacy support.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Electronics”