• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Electronics set up?

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Makai
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bristol RI

Re: Electronics set up?

Post by Makai »

Sixtfour
I forgot to mention that I had the new faceplate made at Cay electronics in Portsmouth RI , I drew up what I wanted and gave them hole sizes , plates were ready in 2 days at a cost of $150
Sixtfour
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buzzards Bay

Post by Sixtfour »

Makai wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:57 pm Sixtfour
I forgot to mention that I had the new faceplate made at Cay electronics in Portsmouth RI , I drew up what I wanted and gave them hole sizes , plates were ready in 2 days at a cost of $150

That sounds awesome, got any pictures?
2001 28T 300HP Yanmar
MerryKate
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mason Neck, VA

Post by MerryKate »

Spent the early part of covid lockdown installing a new Axiom 9 in the factory overhead box. Interfaced basic seatalk messaging with my 20 yr old Pathfinder radar and smartpilot. When I can get a haul out gonna install dual flush mount RV transducers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
gerber30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fort Pierce, FL

Post by gerber30 »

Looks great!
2004 31 TE w/ twin 370 Cummins (current)

Previous Boat
'97 28 TE w/2005 Yanmar
"Marianne"
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

]My boat uses ram mounts for (2) 1042 garmins. Radio is on top of the dash and autopilot is in the dash
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

I installed 2 Axiom MFD’s along with radar, AP and Flir. Very happy with the performance of all. The new equipment takes a bit more tweaking to get everything dialed in but the capabilities are tremendous.
8B9E6768-D1FA-4CD3-BAE1-A8B2CC5A717F.jpeg
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

MK, do you also have an old sounder communicating via Seatalk to the Axiom?
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

MerryKate wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:44 pm Spent the early part of covid lockdown installing a new Axiom 9 in the factory overhead box. Interfaced basic seatalk messaging with my 20 yr old Pathfinder radar and smartpilot. When I can get a haul out gonna install dual flush mount RV transducers.
Wow, clean installation, clean boat.. :shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Jkraft wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:53 am ]My boat uses ram mounts for (2) 1042 garmins. Radio is on top of the dash and autopilot is in the dash
1 plotter scree and 1 radar screens? :shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

Norseman wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:38 pm
Jkraft wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:53 am ]My boat uses ram mounts for (2) 1042 garmins. Radio is on top of the dash and autopilot is in the dash
1 plotter scree and 1 radar screens? :shock:
Yes, or FishFinder. I have them both on ram mounts. If I need to rotate the port one to face aft I can and people fishing can watch the sounder. When running I usually use my starboard plotter on "radar overlay" and the port one on "radar"
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
MerryKate
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mason Neck, VA

Post by MerryKate »

jms02050 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:10 pm MK, do you also have an old sounder communicating via Seatalk to the Axiom?
No, I replaced an old Interphase sonar with the Axiom. Really curious to see how the dual Real Vision transducers perform (got the 20 deg flush mounts to go under the helm seats).

The radar is a circa-1999 SL72 (“Raytheon” branded!) and with a converter cable shares basic SeaTalk-1 messages, like GPS position and bearing, with the Axiom SeaTalk-ng protocol (which is basically NMEA2000). The autopilot is a circa-2005 ST6002. It also shares basic messaging with the Axiom, but the Axiom does NOT control the autopilot via its buttons, although waypoint data communication works fine. This is what I expected going in and am happy with the way the system works.

I use the Axiom wifi screen repeater app with an iPad on a Scanstrut ROKK suction cup mount at the companion seat chart table. Only shows the same screen as the Axiom, but gives someone sitting there a better view.

I also replaced the original 23 yr old VHF with an Icom 330G and new Shakespeare commercial antenna. Were money no object I would have replaced all with a 12” Axiom Pro and new HD Doppler radome, but that would be $5k more and the old radar still works fine. All components were chosen to fit in the original overhead electronics box, which keeps the helm layout clean.

Return to “Electronics”