• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Inverter Wiring

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
PonusNick
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stamford, CT

Inverter Wiring

Post by PonusNick »

My A27 is equipped with two alternators. The second alternator is wired to an inverter...so with the engine running, A/C power is available to outlets in the cabin. I want to put a battery in between so A/C power can be provided without running the engine. The alternator runs a positive (red) wire directly to the inverter. The negative (black) runs to a ground plate. I've looked at several DIY posts but it's not clear to me how to wire and ground the battery...any help or direction is appreciated. Nick
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Re: Inverter Wiring

Post by nebulatech »

Nick, I don't have personal experience wiring these up, but what comes to my mind is an A/B isolator switch where A is connected directly to the alternator and B is connected to your house bank (as if you had only one alternator). It's probably not the best way, but it avoids maintaining a separate battery. The manual probably provides a wiring schematic for the B side in this example.

What model inverter do you have? Does it integrate with shore power, or do you have a shore power system?

I realize this probably isn't very helpful....
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe

Return to “Electronics”