• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A very basic transducer question

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

A very basic transducer question

Post by jms02050 »

Hi - One thing that always stops my thoughts of an electronics upgrade is the transducer. I'm not familiar enough with transducers to know this, but has anyone been able to upgrade their transducer without needing a new fairing block - kind of like a plug and play replacement? I'm running old Raymarine electronics. The boat is an 03.

Thx,
Jim
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
efishnsea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Staten Island NY

Re: A very basic transducer question

Post by efishnsea »

You will most likely have to change the fairing block. I also found necessary to move location a.way from lifting strake.
Bob 2001 28 TE box with 370 Cummins Alimarie3
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

When I upgraded my sounder and transducer on both my 28 and 31TE's I got rid of the fairing blocks and went with Air-Mar tilted element transducers. Both installs were easy and placed properly for zero drop out unless in ""super snotty" seas.

https://www.airmar.com/uploads/brochure ... -chirp.pdf
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

Appreciate the info. Thank you.
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

I replaced the transducer on my 2001 -28TE with a Garmin GT 51 Chirp stern mounted transducer (I am pretty sure it was a GT 51, but don’t have paperwork in front of me; it was a Chirp Anyways)

It works well and easy install but I keep losing the bottom above 9-10 knots due to bubbles and turbulent water back there.
Looked into a see-through transducer, but the cored hull could cause problems.
I don’t fish so there is no need to use any fish finder function, but in the future at the next haul out, if at a good yard I may go for a keel mounted ‘ducer with the appropriate fiberglass work in the bottom. (Don’t thrust the average yard worker to drill through the bottom and seal the coring properly :shock: )
252DA7E7-2740-4491-A385-29AC400620B4.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Pitou wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:33 pm When I upgraded my sounder and transducer on both my 28 and 31TE's I got rid of the fairing blocks and went with Air-Mar tilted element transducers. Both installs were easy and placed properly for zero drop out unless in ""super snotty" seas.

https://www.airmar.com/uploads/brochure ... -chirp.pdf
Kevin. Can you confirm what angle you went with - reference my recent post on the TE forum.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.

Return to “Electronics”