• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Raymarine Chartplotter/depth/radar screen

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saugatuck, Mi

Raymarine Chartplotter/depth/radar screen

Post by mjohnh »

Today, I took a short cruise down the Kalamazoo R. from Saugatuck, Mi and the chart plotter worked normally. When I arrived at the big lake, the screen went blank after it showed a lot of "static/garbage". I let it rest by turning off the toggle and after a couple of minutes it worked well for a short time then it repeated the problem. I left the Lake and entered the River and was cruising back up and it worked o.k. for a few minutes and then repeated the problem....garbage then blank screen. When the screen goes blank, it is not dark, but a light gray. I docked the boat and then went back to it several hours later and it nav system worked normally while at the dock. Any suggestions? I have not looked at the booklet, yet, but I always appreciate thoughts and suggestions from the experienced posters on this forum. I am relatively new to boating having owned by 2005 Albin 28 TE for one year.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Raymarine Chartplotter/depth/radar screen

Post by Tree »

What display is it? It could be an issue with the sounder module, they are very voltage sensitive. There is a series of LED lights on the sounder module that will flash if there is a problem with it. The manuals are available on the Raymarine website.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

Thanks for the reply.....I will run this down this week....if I learn anything that may be of help to anyone else, I will post it..

Thanks, again.
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

This happened again.....It worked fine for about 1 hour and then the screen went blank. I would turn off the toggle and let it rest a few minutes; turn it back on; and the screen showed various designs of horizontal and vertical very narrow lines. I will consult the manuals as suggested by Tree. If anyone else has any suggestions, they will be appreciated. It is a model "C80".
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Post by irishwake »

I had the same problem with my C120. After sending it back to Raymarine 2 times and six weeks later they replaced the screen. Cost was $$$$. Good luck. I have about 15 pictures of the problem if you need to see them. I have had so many problems with Raymarine products that I avoid them like the plague.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I am not sure what you mean by the toggle but the Raymarine dealer told me to be sure and power down the chartplotter rather than turn off the switch on the panel because it is similar to a computer. He was not specific about what problems this could cause.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

Thanks...maybe that is the problem...by "toggle", I meant the "on/off" switch at the helm......marked "navigation"...there are others for various lights, etc.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

My dad has a c120 on his whaler with the same issue. Turned me off of raymarine for my upgrades. I usually go simrad but I might go garmin on this boat (existing gear is mostly garmin)
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by kowal_53 »

It does sound like a screen. However I would call Raytheon and talk to an expert. I suspect you might find that the C-80 is not supported as well as you might like. When I called about E-120 issue they said that they did not have many parts left for the "C" series. They said they only has a few screens left for my unit, and once they were gone there will be no more.

If this turns out to be true you can find used unit on EBAY. I was able to pick up a radar for my older C-120 that way when I was selling it. You might be able to pick up a whole C series package for $1000 to $1400, giving you lots of spare parts.

There is always new equipment, but many older parts of a C series will not work with the new stuff. I know that the radar generally are different. The auto pilots and sounders may, I know the one that comes with my E series will. This can be an expensive upgrade. $6,000 to $10,000 depending on options. Of course you can pick a different brand if you want. The latest technology is much nicer too.
Current: Good Mojo 2008 TE 31 - Cummins QSC 8.3 500 HP
Former: Blue Without You 2006 TE 28 - Yanmar 6PLA - 315 HP
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

Thanks for the reply and suggestions......
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

Problem is back, but different. I peered up and the scree in dark blue in the top half and whiten the bottom half.....occasionally there is a "pulse"...a white line that scans down the top half, and stops at the bottom half.......this is a new issue.....the unit worked well since my last post last October........now....not much at all.......worked well earlier in the Summer.....any suggestions??????
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

O.K.....after searching the internet for comments by others on other forums, I think that my problem may be a "loose cable".....or, a corroded connector on the cable......any suggestions on how to find and check the cable before I start out on this effort? Thanks, again....
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

The screen usualy has a flat cable that plugs into the cricuit board. Goggle "ribon connector cables". They can be loose or have corrosion.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Mjohnh, have you called Raymarine? Their tech support is very good.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

I thought that I should wait until the 6th due to the holiday....will tomorrow a.m..

thanks for your suggestion....

Return to “Electronics”