• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

FYI: A25 in Corpus Christi

Albin's "power cruisers"
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

FYI: A25 in Corpus Christi

Post by Bob Noodat »

Said to be 1975 and restored.

20210219_152322.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Re: FYI: A25 in Corpus Christi

Post by Dieselram94 »

I like the rails on that one, I was just today thinking about doing something exactly like that to mine. I think it would give it a modernized, more American look snd feel to the boat. I also like how the hardtop over the wheelhouse looks.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

That looks pretty nice. Better be in Bristol condition at that price. Getting to Corpus Cristi might be a bit of a problem this week. That bow rail style is similar to what WillieC has. Must have been some sort of option or aftermarket replacement different from the usual. That's just ridiculous, not having any use for an A25 in that location right on the Gulf?
20180627_164502.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

Odd that the new rails are just added to the old though

20210220_203846.jpg
Last edited by Bob Noodat on Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:38 am That looks pretty nice. Better be in Bristol condition at that price. Getting to Corpus Cristi might be a bit of a problem this week. That bow rail style is similar to what WillieC has. Must have been some sort of option or aftermarket replacement different from the usual. That's just ridiculous, not having any use for an A25 in that location right on the Gulf?

20180627_164502.jpg
Thank you for pointing out the rails on the WillieC. I think rails in that style look way better than the stock ones. Seems I might be able to rob some rails off of a similar size boat and make them fit. I do have a way of getting stainless welded if need be. There’s a boat junkyard “Captain Jim’s” in Portland Maine
That probably has several sets of rails that will work. Although his prices are consistently high...
I also think the hard top that forms a visor looks awesome as well. I noticed on the boat in Texas the original windshield is gone and three flat panels have replaced it. Again, I think that looks excellent, but a massive amount of work and reduced visibility.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

For 28,9 I might not have any use for the WillieC either! (JK)
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

RE windshield: my big fear is the windshield getting damaged. Other than replacing with plexiglas I'm not sure where & how one could get an OEM equivalent auto glass replacement. Are there outfits out there that can make custom glass windshields to unique curved shapes like that, like for instance for rare antique cars? If so cost big bucks I'm sure.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

Glass, not really, but Lexan yes.

I have shaped acrylic panels with heat, and there are several YT videos of DIY setups for windshield mo(u)lding. I will have to try this myself soon, as I bought 2 diseased but not deceased hovercraft last year, both lacking their speedboat-style windshields.
Last edited by Bob Noodat on Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

There are companies that will fabricate a custom glass windshield. It is not cheap and you have to fabricate the pattern that will be used to create a metal mold. I looked into this for the front cabin window. Cost was estimated to be $2000Can. I then rushed out and bought a new piece of plexi-glass.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I then rushed out and bought a new piece of plexi-glass.
$2K CAD is a chunk of change. That's $1,580 US at current exchange rates. If you're talking about the front cabin window & not the side cabin windows those were plexi anyway weren't they? I replaced both the front and aft cabin windows with tinted plexi in '19 before our last trip to BC & the Ladysmith rendezvous. The pilothouse windshield is another matter. I keep a canvas cover over the windshield went trailering & pray a rock doesn't fly up & hit it or I make a slip went stepping the mast which with my early model is right up against the windshield. I made a plywood protector to keep accidents from happening when stepping the mast, but I don't plan to use the mast rig again in the foreseeable future anyway.

I'd add pictures but ever since the site got upgraded I get an error trying upload jpegs. What about that jcollins?
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Yep, that was for the front cabin window. I had been curious about using glass as an upgrade but the cost was just too high.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

Lexan is claimed to have 50 times the crack resistance of automotive safety glass, at a given thickness. It is easy to cut and drill, with a little care. Its only disadvantage is that the surface is relatively soft, and so a windshield wiper and sand or dust will eventually scuff it. For windows not subject to abrasion, it is hard to beat, and can even be bought tinted.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”