• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 25 badges

Albin's "power cruisers"
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Albin 25 badges

Post by Dieselram94 »

I’m sure someone has gone down this road before, but I’d like to find at least one Albin 25 badge (the metal ones on the side of the front cabin) as well as two “deluxe” badges that go under them. Any idea where to obtain these?
Thank you.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Re: Albin 25 badges

Post by nebulatech »

Mine are currently off the boat. Is there any way to "scan" them for 3d printing? They are a flimsy metal, maybe bronze, with probably a chrome coating. I have photos of where the pins are that hold them to the boat, and am happy to measure if it's helpful.
20210510_145119.jpg
20210510_145127.jpg
20210510_145213.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I lost one of the 'badges' off the port side during the road trip back from NY. Still have the other one in place on the other side, just the "Albin 25", mine isn't a DeLuxe. Wonder if it would be possible to make a clay impression mold, fire the clay, they pour lead or tin solder to make the copy? The solder screw posts to it. Oh boy, another little project!
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

If you have an original it should not be hard to find a foundry that could make a mold and cast a replacement. I had a small plaque cast a few years ago and it was quite affordable. A small foundry that produces a lot of funerary or trophy work would be a good place to start. Then send the castings out to a plating shop for a chrome finish or see if it can be done at the shop.

It's not like back in high school with sand and mallets and forges, Now they use silicone molds and induction furnaces - all very civilized and affordable.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Great idea Dave, I'll try that . Then again things are more civilized in Canada.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

The Swedish Albinklubben use to sell reproduktions. I will check
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

Thank you everyone! I still have one set of badges so I do have a model. I like the idea of having them recast if the reproductions are not available. Might be worthwhile having extras cast?
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av2YrBBrkP4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoYVFltJAZs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p7I8IVmpSo

Going back to dkirsop's comment about foundries, seems that unless one had the setup to make their own lost PLA or wax mold the process of mold making is fairly time consuming & labor intensive which would translate to significant cost leading up to actually casting metal.

Our sailing friend up in Flagstaff, AZ has a 3D printer & a CNC milling machine so I wonder if he could do something with making an emblem.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

"Thank you everyone! I still have one set of badges so I do have a model. I like the idea of having them recast if the reproductions are not available. Might be worthwhile having extras cast?"
Yes, having extras cast would be a great idea, stock & sell the extras in the AOG store. I'd buy some spares on a cost plus basis. They're likely fairly expensive in terms of labor costs to make. In my case just the Albin 25 emblem & not the 'deLuxe'.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:28 pm
"Thank you everyone! I still have one set of badges so I do have a model. I like the idea of having them recast if the reproductions are not available. Might be worthwhile having extras cast?"
Yes, having extras cast would be a great idea, stock & sell the extras in the AOG store. I'd buy some spares on a cost plus basis. They're likely fairly expensive in terms of labor costs to make. In my case just the Albin 25 emblem & not the 'deLuxe'.
Maybe your friend could do something with his equipment to make them, that kind of ability could prompt me to buy a 3D printer. I just know almost nothing about how to use one. As far as extras go I think it is definitely worth exploring, and at least as far as I’m concerned a cost only basis.
It would be pretty cool if we could get the “blueprint” or the “program” (I have no idea of the right terminology) for a open source way that anyone could 3D print their own badges. But even with that they would still need to be chrome plated. Is that even possible to chrome plate over 3D printed plastic? Would it be durable?
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Here are the ones Albinklubben sell. Its a member only ” benefit” but its cheap to be a member and they can write in english. They only hace some seconds left of the Albin 25. They are stainless.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Update: My friend's 3D printer is a small one that can only do small objects. His suggestion is to make a silicone mold which could be used to cast one in plastics or to make a lost wax plug for a plaster mold.

Found this YouTube on making a replacement taillight lens for an antique car, but the process for replicating the emblem is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WME8R2-Ot8E

All that sounds quite involved & a significant outlay for expensive materials (like the silicone which ain't cheap) not to mention access to a vacuum pump (to remove air bubbles in the silicone) and a foundry to cast the piece in metal.

I have a 1 lb, 5.5" by 3" by 1" block of modeling clay left over from my fiberglass hard top project back in 2015 . That clay was used to fillet the edges of the masonite mold for the the fiberglass lay up. I may try an experiment by making an impression of the emblem in clay and see if it will tolerate pouring in melted solder, of which I have several spools on hand. In theory the solder should not stick to smooth clay & be shiny silver color. Then I could solder mounting posts in place. We'll see.
DSCN1913Redit.jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

The ones Albinklubben sell are only 150 Sek. Its like $18
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Water jetting them out of stainless is not a bad way to make them either bot it would be more $
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

tribologist wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:05 pm The ones Albinklubben sell are only 150 Sek. Its like $18
Wow!!! $18.00!!!!!
Is that for either the Albin 25 or the deluxe ones?
I tried looking on that site but I can’t find a way to translate it to English.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”