• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 27FC Repower

Albin's "power cruisers"
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Re: Albin 27FC Repower

Post by Ambler27FC »

Also, I had to reduce the prop from an 18 x 14 to an 18 x 12 to hit the 2800rpm loaded engine speed. Top speed was reduced, but still hit hull speed at same engine rpm.
SkipD
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marblehead, MA

Post by SkipD »

Congratulations on the install! Your numbers look good. Interesting you have an 18x12 prop and mine js an 18x13, numbers pretty much align.
On the sound insulation for the engine room/aft cabin bulkhead, how did you mount that and what product did you use?

Thanks
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ambler27FC »

SkipD,

Looking back at your posts, I think our numbers align perfectly. If 12.5 deg pitch were an option I would have gone for it.

I got a 4X8 roll of 1” sound deadening from McMaster Carr. Not as good as the stuff at West Marine with the 1/8” rubber backing, but still very good and a fraction the price. And I have enough left to experiment with. Type of material you wrap around industrial equipment. I can look up a Part number if you want. Sound in the aft cabin under way was much improved.

I have the two fuel tank config with a bulkhead about 2’ fwd of aft cabin entrance - right inline with the back of the fuel tanks. To remove the fuel tanks I cut out the center and reattached with screws. I attached the sound foam to the removable section on the engine side with the nail posts recommended with the West Marine product - but again from McMaster. I bought 100 of the nail posts for very little and could give spares away.
SkipD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SkipD »

Thanks for the info, sounds like a good approach. If the part numbers for the insulation and posts are handy I would like them. The McMaster Carr site has quite a number of items.

Thanks again
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ambler27FC »

SkipD,

Here are the part numbers from the invoice:

565692T53 - Sound-Absorbing Sheet Heat-Reflecting, Adhesive Back, 60% Absorbed, 1" X 54", 10 ft. Length
93610A210 - Insulation Hanger Studs with Plain Backing, 1-5/8" Long Pin, packs of 100
93610A410 - Washer for Pin Insulation Hanger Studs, packs of 100
93610A611 - Cover for Insulation Hanger Studs, Domed Cap, packs of 100
76145A42 - HVAC Tape, Reinforced Fsk Aluminum, 3" Wide, 150' Long, 0.006" Overall Thickness

The foam was enough to re-do my engine hatches and cover the bulkhead with several feet to spare. The tape is to treat the ends of the cut foam and is heat rated.

I could not verify that the hardware was stairless, but it is the same with West Marine. I am generally very careful about metal type, but with this application it should not contact any other metals.
SkipD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SkipD »

This is great. Thanks so much.
deniseO30
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bristol PA

Post by deniseO30 »

Decided to do some research found this old thread read all three pages less confused but still wondering if I go around 85 HP, thinking to outrun Chesapeake & Delaware Bay squalls and strong currents of the Delaware River 4-6kts,. And little bit higher horsepower engines are easier to find because all the sailboaters grab the smaller ones
Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30(sold) , Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River.
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ambler27FC »

Well, you know your never going to outrun a squall in one of these boats. I am just thankful for all of the improvements in weather radar and wind forecasting.

The A27 is ready made for someone who just wants to be on the water and is accustomed to sailboat speeds. But compared to a sailboat, you can drive a straight line and steady speed, have more room to stretch out, less draft for the shallows, and bridges are less of an issue. It is a slow fuel-sipping long-range cruiser. I remember motoring my sailboat more than half the time - the winds never took my advise.

There is something to be said for overpowering currents. But 4-6 knots - in this boat that is when I would set anchor and open a beer. I bet you could get ~9+ knots with an 85HP. The boats that have hit 12 knots seem to have +120HP. An 85HP might be a smart choice if the engine fits. You would burn more fuel at a particular RPM, but could cruise at hull speed at a lower RPM with the right prop. Could be a wash, with a little extra speed when needed.
deniseO30
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bristol PA

Post by deniseO30 »

I haven't made any phone calls yet but beta makes a 75 horsepower thank you for the information!
Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30(sold) , Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”