• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 27FC Repower

Albin's "power cruisers"
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Albin 27FC Repower

Post by Ambler27FC »

New to this forum. I've owned and 1986 Albin 27FC for 3 seasons now - love it - and want to prepare the boat for the next 20 years. I've just replaced the fuel tanks, and now want to tackle the engine. The original Perkins MD80 still runs OK, but the accessories have been troublesome and I've just lost most of a season waiting for parts- a real concern on longer trips. Does anyone have experience installing a new ~60HP Volvo or Yanmar common rail engine? My current engine was rated for 4500 RPM but was governed down to 3500 RPM, and produced no more that 40HP. Based on the data collected I think I can sip fuel at hull speed and hit 8+ knots WOT with a 60HP with 2.2 gear-box. Both Volvo and Yarnmar with a multi-disc ZF marine transmission look close to drop-ins.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Re: Albin 27FC Repower

Post by tego »

Check out the Kubota 50 or 60HP also. They are lower RPM at max power and much more user friendly. They are usually at the Annapolis sail show so you can get a close look at them next month. They're super reliable and parts are a hellava lot cheaper than Volvo and less than Yanmar too. Ben
ChrisP
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Clinton Harbor, CT

Post by ChrisP »

Agree with tego. Most all major brands are very reliable. To me it comes down to cost of spare parts and availability. If it was time for me to upgrade I’d be looking at Kubota and Yanmar. Although the other brands are at least as reliable, it is my opinion as a diy’r, that I’ll save money in the long run on parts with either of these two.
My Isuzu C240 is putting out 45hp @ WOT on her best day. Cruising at 1800rpm= 7kt. Fuel consumption is 1.3gal/hr. She has been very reliable. Parts are still availible as they used these engines in a lot of industrial applications. That is key and both Yanmar and Kubota are cranking out a lot of these smallish diesels.
Chris
1983 A27 FC
"ANNIE H"
Isuzu C240
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ambler27FC »

Thank you Tego and ChrisP! I was unaware that Kubota offered a marinize engine, but knew it was the base for the Beta line - which has a good reputation. If they are meeting the Tier III specs w/o a common rail design (w/o a computer) it is an very interesting possibility. I like simple and repairable, and I value parts and technician availability above part cost at the moment. Do you have experience with their distribution network (my travels are strictly mid-Atlantic)? Having trouble getting a Yanmar quote from the local shops at the moment.
Jmk2000
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Beaufort, NC

Post by Jmk2000 »

Not sure where your located in the Mid-Atlantic but these guys are Beta Marine dealer in North Carolina.
https://www.betamarinenc.com/
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

Like I said, Beta will probably be at the Annapolis sailboat show. The sail show has a lot more to offer us smaller powerboat operators/cruisers than the powerboat show. Give them a call and ask if they'll be there. They are great customer= oriented people. As you said, if you can build an EPA compliant diesel without electronics, that's the way you want to go! KISS rule! Ben
SkipD
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marblehead, MA

Post by SkipD »

I completed the re-power of my 1985 FC from a Nissan LD28 to a Beta Marine 50 this past year. Am nearing the end of my first season and could not be more pleased. I opted for the simpler technology of the Kubota with the high torque, low rpm approach. Install included a PythonDrive CV joint and 18 x 13 prop. My goal was economy, reliability, simplicity and noise reduction. Boat cruises 6 - 7 knots at 1600 to 2000 rpm burning approx 1 gph.
Will gladly share as much detail as you like. I did the install myself (with some expert guidance) which included new stringers, thrust mount, tank, exhaust, etc. Lots of learning to say the least. Will post pictures and lessons learned this fall on the Albin site.
Got a nice boat show discount from Stanley of Beta Marine at the Maine Boat Builders Show. It was a pleasure doing business with them. Their technical support is superb.
Skip
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ambler27FC »

SkipD, that is some really good information - thank you. I believe I have a very similar 18x14 prop. From the data collected I am guessing that you used the ZF Gearbox with the 1.88/1 ratio? I could be wrong - I am guessing at my gear ratio based on a 33YO spec sheet. I would be very interested in pictures - the Beta is a little bigger than the other engines. I assume you used a straight transmission versus the down-angle? Couldn't get the down angle to fit the hull with the other engines in consideration.

The Beta 50 and 60 have nearly identical power curves corrected to ISO-8665.

The common rail engines appear to have better power and fuel consumption, but I like the simplicity of the Beta engines.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

Ambler, The Beta 50 will give you hull speed at about 3 QTS PER HOUR. They are not bigger but they are heavier, which in my mind is better- real cast steel and no alloys to be so careful about and no dang turbo! You'll be surprised at their compact size and at the show, they will give you a significant discount over regular pricing. I'll be at the show again this year myself. Maybe see you? Ben '87 27FC hull# 302
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ambler27FC »

Thanks Tego. I am going to contact Beta, and very seriously considering the Annapolis Show. I'll check in if I do go - would be nice to trade notes with another A27 owner (haven't passed another A27 on the water yet). By the drawings the Beta is a hair bigger than my current and the competitors, but the weight doesn't bother me one bit.

It was an obscenely fowled and leaky Turbo that crashed my current season. Fixed it, but the parts were hard to get and the engine appears to be on a slow downward slope. Allot of learning this year.
SkipD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SkipD »

I opted for the TMC60 w/ 2:1 (straight transmission). Long story short, this caused the engine to be lowered about 2 inches to get a good alignment with the shaft. The PythonDrive and new stringers made this not an issue. Also needed to add a high rise exhaust elbow and shallow sump. Engine sits at 2 degree angle so it is nice for lubricating and sits well in the compartment, plenty of room above for sound insulation.
IMG_4508.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Wow! SkipD that's some conversion. Do think you could do a decibel reading on the motor? With the motor hatches closed and about head level while in the pilot seat. It would be fun to know. I just down loaded a decibel meter to my phone it's a free app. My old 4d61 is around 90 decibels at 7 knots give or take.
Amber I'm on the Northern Chesapeake. Dcatsea is in Deal we both have 27's. We talk all the time. Get in touch with either of us if you want to talk about the boats. Tego is right Beta will be at the sailboat show in Annapolis. I just looked at the vendors list. We are trying to go and hopefully arrive by boat.
SkipD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SkipD »

Thanks Sprig1. I did do some decibel monitoring with the iphone next to the helm ( with similar results when moving the phone up/down etc) :
engine off - 45 db
engine warm-up (1500rpm) - 67 db
engine warm idle - 60 db
1800 rpm - 72 db (6.75 kts approx)
2100 rpm - 76 db (7.5 kts approx)

I do believe the increase in vibration/noise is centered more around the prop than the engine. With the 18" prop there is perhaps 9-10% tip clearance. The engine compartment hatch doors have a double layer of Sounddown 1". All other soundproofing is original..
Also, thanks for the offer to get in touch, will take you up on that.
Jmk2000
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Beaufort, NC

Post by Jmk2000 »

SkipD would definitely love to see more picks. They make great informative and interesting reading! Out of curiosity what did the Beta set you back?
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Skipd that is quiet! It must be nice. I only have 1 1/2 inches of sounddown on my hatch covers and 1 inch on the bulkheads. I have a few other things I'm going to try. I can carry on a conversation pretty easily. Congratulations on the nice job.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”