• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 27FC Repower

Albin's "power cruisers"
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Re: Albin 27FC Repower

Post by Ambler27FC »

SkipD - thanks for the picture. My hull interestingly appears to be a little different - there are longitudinal beams on either side of the engine. I salute your spotless engine compartment!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Ambler, The engine stringers on your boat were put in for the larger engines like Nissan LD28M, which were higher HP and larger (6 cylinder) than the original Lehman 4-banger. The Beta will fit very easily in our boat by just moving the big aluminum angle iron brackets mounted on the inside surface of the stringers. The Beta mounts will fit nicely. I was just a day away from ordering my 50 Beta when I had a major health issue arise and the engine money eventually went to the kitchen remodel here which made the wife very happy. Anyway, I'm still hoping to get back to my repower again. I even had the Nissan sold, the crane arranged, a gantry built in my wheelhouse to lift the Nissan out and the Beta in and the haulout scheduled for the next week. My Hurth will bolt right up to the Beta. I don't know if your Perkins is original but going from a big 6 to a smaller 4 cyl will make a lot more room in the ER for an old fart to pull maintenance and access everything. Maybe we ought to have a 27FC get together at the show in Annapolis. I can't get my boat there, but I have a lot of pictures of the mods I've made on mine on the wifes' notebook. Ben
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ambler27FC »

Tego,

My engine is actually a 80HP 4-cylinder diesel. I am working on a 3D model of the engine space and engine, and you are right - for me it is just a matter of re-adjusting the mounting angle positions. The only fit issue I see is the exhaust riser tube (if required), which could interfere with the back bulk-head. Taking detailed measurements tomorrow. Aiming for an angled installation (7-8 degrees), which is required for the full-depth oil-sump. Would be great to meet you at the show, but may visit off-hours because I will need to monopolize the staff.
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ambler27FC »

SkipD,

You reported hull speed up to 2100 RPM. This is a great speed to cruise at, but I was curious if you can reach the rated engine speed? It would be neat to really let the wind whip through my lack of hair every now and again. Plotted everything out, and the Beta is superior on torque and HP to my current motor and all contenders up to just around 2100 RPM. Above that is a question mark. Your 2.0 gear ratio seems very smart.

Very grateful for all of the help here! I will try and pay it back with info on replacing the twin fuel tank configuration and future custom super-deluxe pilot chair.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Ambler, If the wind is whipping around your streamlined head, it's because you've got the fwd windshield open and beating into a full gale. Our boats require massive amounts of HP to get above about 10-11 kts. I've been in a much newer one with the 157HP Isuzu and it maxed out at 12 kts. It all depends on your prop. Three prop shops I talked to recommended an 18x21 three blade with the 50 Beta and my old Hurth which I think is ridiculous. I have a new 4 blade (quieter but not as efficient as a 3 blade) 18x17 for my 50 when I get it. My current 4 blade 18x14 (original) will get me to 9.5 kts at 3600 RPM, but it's noisy as hell and a real water plow gulping about 3+GPH. Fred Hunt ,up by Annapolis, used to be on the old "Albin Cruisers List" (now defunct) and with his FC with a 100HP Yanmar , reported he could get to a semi-plane at about 11 Kts and top out about 12, with a reduced but still large wake. Our boats are designed for 6.6 kts or maybe a tad more if you're in a hurry. My current Hurth gearbox is a 2.72 ratio, which is why I'm increasing my pitch a little so I can re-use it with the Beta 50. What are you doing with the twin 50 fuel tanks? I cleaned and scoped mine when I got this boat about 6 yrs ago and they are in super condition, which surprised me, but they give me about a 750 mile cruising range so I'm happy with them. I'd be happy to sit down over at the Pussers rum booth with a "painkiller" and talk about our boats at the show. Ben "87 27FC
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ambler27FC »

A little sarcasm there. With my current configuration I would be smiling at 8 knots and giggling like a little kid at 9 knots. That extra power would mostly be to fight a tidal current and stay on a 6.5 knot baseline schedule. Fighting a 2 knot current in a boat with a 6.5 knot hull speed changes your day.
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ambler27FC »

Oh, and one of my fuel tanks started leaking. 33YO, .090 aluminum. Corrosion on the bottom. Replaced with .125 thick tank epoxy coated with rubber spaces underneath. Replaced the other tank as a precautionary.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Ambler,

Not this 27FC seen at Vera's Beach Club marina on St. Leonard's Creek in 2015 by chance?
DSCN2904 (1280x960).jpg
We were there with our A25 in July, 2015
DSCN2936.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ambler27FC »

I've been to Vera's a couple times, but that is not me. I've seen pictures of a A27 docked there, but never crossed it. Nice A25 - love the lines on that boat.
SkipD
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marblehead, MA

Post by SkipD »

Sorry I missed your question earlier Ambler27. During sea trials I brought the engine up to 2750 rpm and it was running at 8.6 Kts (was a bit unwieldy and noisy). I've found that I cruise at 2000 rpm which pushes the boat to a comfortable gps speed of 6.8-7.2 kts, My impeller speedo comes in at approx the same. I burn less than a GPH at this rate. The other day I pushed it up to 2400 rpm and hit 8.1 kts. The aft gurgling noise and vibration was not the quieter experience I'm shooting for.

Skip
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I've been to Vera's a couple times, but that is not me. I've seen pictures of a A27 docked there, but never crossed it. Nice A25 - love the lines on that boat.
Thanks for the compliment. A27's are much more common in the mid Atlantic region than A25's.

Here's the same boat anchored two months ago in Tod Inlet next to Butchart Gardens on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
DSCN4889.JPG
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ambler27FC »

Much thanks for that data point SkipD! That is about exactly what I had plotted out with HP and prop speed curves. Bought the engine yesterday, and this is added comfort.
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ambler27FC »

DesertAlbin736,

Just saw my first A27 after 250 hours. An A25 sighting will make my logbook.
SkipD
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marblehead, MA

Post by SkipD »

Congrats on the purchase of the engine, Great choice.
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ambler27FC »

New engine install complete. Many thanks for all of the help on this forum. It is really neat to drive a boat in 40 degree weather with no smoke or diesel fumes in a following wind. I wanted to post some data for the record for whomever might have to re-engine. These graphs are applicable to the fuel miser, not those powering-through to semi-displacement (though I would be interested in those numbers).
BETA 50 Speed Albin 27.png
BETA 50 Fuel Albin 27.png
BETA 50 Noise Albin 27.png
Regarding noise, measurements were taken with an outdoor carpet in the cockpit floor, which reduced noise levels by 1 dB. I tried adding a 1/4 rubber mat over the engine hatches and it reduced the noise another 1 dB, but was not worth the extra effort. I have 1"+ sound foam on the engine hatches and forward/aft engine bulkheads. Added 1"of sound foam to the bulkhead between the engine room and aft cabin (removable because I replaced the fuel tanks) and it makes a noticeable difference.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”