• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

trailer fitting

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Re: trailer fitting

Post by tribologist »

As you pull up the boat it contacts on one point somewhere in the front of the keel and the boat is free to sway around that point . Ones you contact the bow support, you create a hinge line between those points. As you pull up its is slowly moving that point back. Eg. Its important to center the kerl in the front at the point where you contact the bow rollers. I think your PVC vee is the ticket
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

By the way, if you are getting into DA’ing you will at somepoint likely have to run it up on the trailer with side wind and currents. Having vertical side guides far back helps a lot in those situations to “ pre-center”

My trailer is getting the bearings overhauled. Adding SKF speedi-sleeves on the last two axles and putting brakes on all 4 wheels. My Maine plan went down the tube. Conn police is forbidden to do out of state VIN verifications. By renovating axles. Swapping fenders and replacing springs i can reg it as home made
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

Wow — sounds like the Connecticut DMV is even tougher than NY’s in some regards. Here, all you need to do is get the trailer weighed on a certified scale. If it’s under 1k pounds, a “home built” registration is granted — super easy!
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Not sure its under 1000 lb. Probably not.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

tribologist wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:17 pm Not sure its under 1000 lb. Probably not.
Well, then you take things off it until it is! :wink:
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

There's no registering trailers at all here in SC. A "bill of sale" is just an email away...
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I'm in NY and heard about the 1000# limit. I considered removing "extra stuff" from the trailer to lighten it up, like the 4x14 bunks and those extra things called axles and wheels.

Never had to though... The previous owner found the proper paperwork.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I had a heck of a time getting my trailer registered in AZ after bringing it down from Idaho. There were two issues, #1 Idaho doesn't require titles for trailers which Arizona does. So the the signed registration & bill of sale was all I had (I had the Idaho tags transferred to my name even though I'm not an Idaho resident). Problem #2 was the trailer was factory built in Florida in 1999 and the VIN number was printed, not embossed, on a sticker that had faded out & the number was no longer readable. I went round and round with AZ MVD & finally had to post a bond to prove it wasn't stolen to get them to issue a new title & generate a new VIN number on an official embossed sticker to place on the frame. Once that was done & after and initial one time $129 vehicle license tax/registration fee was paid the registration is permanent & doesn't need renewal as long as it remains titled & registered in Arizona. Even if I sell it to another Arizona resident they only have to pay a small transfer fee. That's for trailers 6,000 lb GVWR or less. RV's & trailers over that weight rating have to pay a vehicle license tax and tag renewal every year, or two years if you opt to do that which saves some on the registration fee. The tax is assessed based on book value & declines as the vehicle ages. We don't have toll roads in AZ, but the cost to register a vehicle is perhaps one of the most expensive states in the country. Initial annual vehicle tax & license for a $35K car can be has high as $500 each of the first few years. Even our 2017 Ford Fusion hybrid costs $313 this year.

PS, I still get a kick out of long distance trailering being called "DA'ing".
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

We have to pay annual property tax on vehicles in SC as well. It maxes at $600 for cars, higher for boats.

We do not have to register or title trailers, but we do have to register and title outboards. I got into a pickle some time back because I sold a boat to a fellow in Georgia where they don't title outboards. I never turned in notice of selling the boat. The new owner titled the boat, no problem. Several years later, I got a delinquent tax notice for the motor because there was no record of it being retitled. Lots of headache and lesson learned.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Traverse City, Mi

Post by Plum76 »

Here in Michigan, trailers over a certain weight require a registration/permanent plate. I had to get a bill of sale, then contact the trailer manufacturer with a VIN to get the certified weight, then I could get it registered. Alternatively, could get it weighed on a truck scale, but the boat was on it, so easier for me to get it from the manufacturer. My trailer weighs ~1600 lbs, is galvanized steel heavy duty unit, all rollers makes for super easy loading and unloading..

Plum
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

We do not have to register or title trailers, but we do have to register and title outboards.
Outboard motors have to be titled separately from the boat? That is crazy. In Arizona boats come under the purview of the Department of Game & Fish and the boat registration is proof of ownership, not titled like motor vehicles & trailers. If a boat, new or used, is bought out of state & brought in to be registered in AZ it has to be taken to a Game & Fish office for a one time physical inspection for matching HIN numbers & bill of sale & proof of sales tax paid in the case of new boats or ones purchased from a dealer. Used boats bought from private owners don't get charged sales tax. Unless they have motors of any kind attached including electric trolling motors small human or sail powered watercraft like kayaks, canoes, sailing and rowing dinghies, wind surf & stand up paddle boards etc don't need to be registered at all . Outboards themselves don't get separate registration or titles any more than one would need to register & license a TV. So small outboards that can be easily lifted & removed from the boat had better be kept locked up because it would be difficult to impossible to recover a stolen one. DMV has nothing to do with boats or outboard motors, only the trailers they sit on which they treat like any other motor vehicle except trailers 6,000 lb GVRW & under get permanent tags & no annual vehicle license tax.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

On trailers centering guides I got an email with a link to a article in BoatUS online about a kit for trailer side guides.

https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice/ex ... n=magazine

https://store.cesmith.com/bunk-board-guide-ons-c71.aspx

What I really need is guide bunks that span the widest part of the hull right over where the wheels are. They would just have to reach higher than the ones in this picture. Looks like another fall project!
20120423114329_27600-08sm.jpg
DSCN3628.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:27 am On trailers centering guides I got an email with a link to a article in BoatUS online about a kit for trailer side guides.

https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice/ex ... n=magazine

https://store.cesmith.com/bunk-board-guide-ons-c71.aspx

What I really need is guide bunks that span the widest part of the hull right over where the wheels are. They would just have to reach higher than the ones in this picture. Looks like another fall project!

20120423114329_27600-08sm.jpg

DSCN3628.JPG
DA, I've posted twice about what would solve your guide problem once and for all. A horse may be led to water, but cannot be made to drink.
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

Bob, I keep trying to find where you posted the solution. Could you maybe link to the post here?
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
jerridsc
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Blanchardville, WI.

Post by jerridsc »

DA. Do your stern centering guides bend out of the way as the wider part of the hull passes by as you are putting your boat into the water, and again as you load?

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”