• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Freshwater Puffin - Albin 25

Albin's "power cruisers"
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Freshwater Puffin - Albin 25

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

That's a real job! So what we're seeing in the bottom photo is the head compartment where the bulkhead at left is the aft wall of the hanging closet and just visible at lower left is the flush water inlet through hull for a marine head and the through hull & ball valve at middle right is for the vanity sink drain?

What our POs had done when they did an interior restoration was use white leather grain naugahyde material for all the interior walls below deck level. They eliminated the vanity sink and put a small shelf unit in its place.
Albin_head_.jpg
This was how the head looked we we first got the boat, and now since I upgraded the Y valve to one that can be sealed or locked in the pump out position. You can see the naugahyde is not quite as bright white clean as it used to be after 7 years worth of six week summer cruises.
20200114_175041.jpg

Everything else, like the cabin overheads & sides above deck level were painted white. They made the curtains for the front & aft cabin rear windows & added mini blinds for the side windows, plus all new cushions. We paid a premium price for the boat, but it saved us a lot of work considering we really don't have a good place with access to electricity where we can do that kind of work except occasionally parking on the street in front of our house in our HOA tract home neighborhood for a few hours at a time.. You'll have something to be proud of when Puffin is fully restored.
Albin wardrobe.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Traverse City, Mi

Post by Plum76 »

Yes, that’s the little hanging closet on the left, the thru hull on the right of the floor of the head was unused, the sink and cabinet in that corner were not hooked up to anything, and as there’s a sink 18” away out the door, so it got deleted. Plus, a thru hull with a 1/4 turn handle that’s not hooked to anything is trouble waiting.

There’s another smaller thru hull under the closet that was connected to the head, but I’m going to cap that one and try to figure a head/hose arrangement to use the one directly under.

I found remnants of vinyl wallpaper behind the bulkhead, so I suspect that it was originally on the inside of the hull there. I’m going to seal it up with some Jamestown topside primer and paint and get things out back together, then figure out what (if anything) to do from there.

Once I put things back together, I have a small shore power distribution panel to locate, just enough for a battery charger and some galley outlets. The non operational fridge needs to come out and. A new counter fit for the original alcohol stove is intended to be reinstated.

We launched last year on 6/5, and I think we will miss that by a week or two, with the list I have in front of me.

Jason
DesertAlbin736 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:23 pm That's a real job! So what we're seeing in the bottom photo is the head compartment where the bulkhead at left is the aft wall of the hanging closet and just visible at lower left is the flush water inlet through hull for a marine head and the through hull & ball valve at middle right is for the vanity sink drain?

What our POs had done when they did an interior restoration was use white leather grain naugahyde material for all the interior walls below deck level. They eliminated the vanity sink and put a small shelf unit in its place.

Albin_head_.jpg

This was how the head looked we we first got the boat, and now since I upgraded the Y valve to one that can be sealed or locked in the pump out position. You can see the naugahyde is not quite as bright white clean as it used to be after 7 years worth of six week summer cruises.

20200114_175041.jpg

Everything else, like the cabin overheads & sides above deck level were painted white. They made the curtains for the front & aft cabin rear windows & added mini blinds for the side windows, plus all new cushions. We paid a premium price for the boat, but it saved us a lot of work considering we really don't have a good place with access to electricity where we can do that kind of work except occasionally parking on the street in front of our house in our HOA tract home neighborhood for a few hours at a time.. You'll have something to be proud of when Puffin is fully restored.

Albin wardrobe.jpg
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Plum76 »

Figure everyone loves updates, right?

One of my issues from last season was a deteriorating battery box, finally sorted out how I’m addressing that issue.

After removing the unused transducer and making those repairs, I had a blank slate under the helm, aside from wiring making its way through there. I’m not wild on having that bundle of wires just sitting on the floor, so was thinking it’d be nice to be able to ‘catch’ those with a new tray setup.

I didn’t find a lot of good options for a pre-molded box for the batteries I’m using, so I did get ahold of these cheap trays with a bolt down system, meant to be screwed or bolted to a floor. From there, I wanted to have enough room between the engine bilge and the tray to get a hand in there to clean. Making it sturdy was also high on the list.

I used some fiberglass 1.5” angle as my structural pieces, fixing one through the helm bulkhead and hull rib, and I epoxied a second bracing bracket onto the hull further aft. I am using a support leg made of laminated 3/4” treated ply as a support, and another piece of fiber angle for my aft attachment point. Finding a level reference is difficult, I ended up using the engine bilge rim as my guide for level, managed pretty well. Having the engine cover off helped a ton with access.

From there, I dug around in the basement and came up with these HDPE molded grating cover sections I had received as a sample, they’re a little long, but look better long than cutoff I think.

Each section of grating cover gets (2) 1/4” stainless bolts per end, and then my cheapie trays will bolt through the grating. I may end up just putting in a tie down point for a battery strap, depending on how the trays feel after install, I don’t have a lot of confidence in the upper frame rigidity, and I don’t want to be dealing with this on the water. I think I can hang some cable management items off the starboard side of the ‘tray’ to get my bundle of cables off the hull too.

I can add sides and a top of needed, but I’m not seeing that as urgent right now. Pardon my legs and feet being included, tight quarters and nowhere else to go..

Jason
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Plum76 »

Engine cover insulation; first a layer of the adhesive flexible damping mat, overlapped seams:

On top of that is a layer of 1/2” adhesive foam with reflective coating, seams taped with aluminum tape:

I am pretty happy with how it all turned out with perhaps the exception of the inspection cover finish on the foam, it landed and stuck a bit early (or I didn’t trim enough) and I have foam exposed at the opening. Haven’t sorted what (if anything) to do about that.

I used scrap to apply to the inside of the aluminum inspection cover, just to keep that from being too hot on bare feet.

Finishing cover paint now, waiting for cure time and then taping off for non-slip on top of cover..

Jason
ppaalo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Siuntio

Post by ppaalo »

That looks really good! Wish I had taken the time to take the cover out when applying my damping mat, mine looks horrible compared to this. I did also use aluminium tape in the seams but that fell off after some time of being in the heat, might be just that the dampening mat I have ("foamy" texture) isn't the best bond for the tape.
1970 Albin 25, no. 465 "Skumpan"
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

Looks like it would look just fine if you were to cut the grates a bit shorter. To that cross piece just before the battery trays.
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Plum76 »

Thanks, I'm hoping that the aluminum tape will stay stuck to the foil facing of the foam, it seems pretty well adhered, and when it heats up, I'm hoping that it will really bond them together. My biggest issue was having the adhesive foam land on the underlying mat and really stick, like around the inspection cover, it stuck a bit early there and looks a little unfinished..

Jason
ppaalo wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:14 am That looks really good! Wish I had taken the time to take the cover out when applying my damping mat, mine looks horrible compared to this. I did also use aluminium tape in the seams but that fell off after some time of being in the heat, might be just that the dampening mat I have ("foamy" texture) isn't the best bond for the tape.
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Plum76 »

It might end up that way, I could see adding a single long brace to catch all the fixing bolts, just to further lock things down, but it seems pretty good as is. At this point, I need to bolt down the trays and do a test fit, probably early next week?

I am thinking that a dual battery tender type charger will be included here, might just be enough real estate to land on the overhanging grates if I'm really lucky, might look like I planned it that way. That way when we're on shore power, batteries are being topped off..

Jason
Dieselram94 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:50 am Looks like it would look just fine if you were to cut the grates a bit shorter. To that cross piece just before the battery trays.
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Plum76 »

Anti-skid applied and curing, hoping I can reinstall the engine cover next week, one more thing (almost) done.

Jason
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

Nice work! That insulation looks very good.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Yes that does look very nice. I could never do that on the WillieC as I'd have to bring the rest of it up to snuff.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Primo work!
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ