• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Freshwater Puffin - Albin 25

Albin's "power cruisers"
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Traverse City, Mi

Re: Freshwater Puffin - Albin 25

Post by Plum76 »

The red canvas came with the boat, I had it cleaned and re-waterproofed over the winter. It’s certainly adequate, but showing its age and a bit droopy, collects a little bit of water on the back portion in between the single bow and the pilot house. I’m definitely watching other images, thinking we will get another season out of it, then have some new canvas made up, the screens would be a welcome addition for sleeping, air flow for that back cabin is slim, even after fitting a replacement solar fan unit, being able to have the door open without fear of mosquito would be great.

We do have some winter up here, so the boat is already out of the water and up to the house for fall projects and winterizing. So far have:

Replaced electric fuel pump with a stock diaphragm pump and feed tube
Cleaned out cooling system
Pulled diesel tank for repair to the gauge flange (weeping fuel)
Lots of cleaning..

Also, winter is for skiing at my house, and getting some bike riding in during these transition months, too cold to swim and no snow yet..

Jason
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

Nice work!
That is a nice swim grid and ladder! I don’t think we could live without ours, makes getting in and out of the dingy easier and I can’t imagine not having one, we also did the 4 step ladder, very handy, just don’t forget it’s extended!

Most of the solar powered vents are pretty lame and don’t move much air for their price and that aft cabin on our boat needs some air flow for sure, we store our crab and prawn traps when not in use there plus our head is also kept there so I installed a 3” computer cooling fan and a new 3” vent that works very well!
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

ssrig wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:33 pm Most of the solar powered vents are pretty lame and don’t move much air for their price
All of them that I have seen. I would say that they suck, but unfortunately they neither suck nor blow worth a damn.
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

The "roly-poly" tendency is indeed attenuated by having the bikes up top. Even the Albin owner's manual states that something to the effect that supplies should be stored as high and as outboard as possible for just that reason.

I hear sailors hoist an anchor up the mast on the main halyard just to put weight above to reduce the rocking while at anchor. Heard, but never have seen first hand. Same in principle though.

I love the swim platform! My A25 came with a full-width teak platform but I removed it because I had to relocate my exhaust... right where the platform was. Looks like your's would be a perfect fit! Duly noted. Thanks for posting!

Did I say I'm jealous? Consider it done.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

Do you mind sharing what the swim grid cost? I just ordered a Panther out board bracket to mount my Honda remote controlled outboard on as a second means of propulsion but would love to have a swim grid for sure. Maybe it could be mounted offset? To allow room for the outboard?
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Plum76 »

I want to say it was around $1700 to my door, including the ladder, quality is very good and for a stock product, the fit is excellent.

Our is the model PT1256030, and has been the best update we did. We had an indicent with some slipping off the side into the water at a marina, and having the platform on there she was back out of the water very quickly, would not have been so quick without it.

Jason
Dieselram94 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:49 pm Do you mind sharing what the swim grid cost? I just ordered a Panther out board bracket to mount my Honda remote controlled outboard on as a second means of propulsion but would love to have a swim grid for sure. Maybe it could be mounted offset? To allow room for the outboard?
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Plum76 »

Doing some cleaning and painting while the tank is out, and looking for some info on what I think are thru hull transducers in my hull. I have two of these, one under the step to the front cabin and one under the helm seat. Both have been abandoned, with a short bit of wire left hanging.

Outside, the housings appear to be part of the hull fiberglass, no joint I can see or recall from doing anti-foul paint earlier this year.

I need to reinstall a depth gauge, as the fish finder that came with the boat stopped working (transducer glued to the floor under the front floor quite hastily). I don’t need a fish finder either, I just want the depth reading.

Are these transducers typical to Albin boats and are they able to be reused or replaced in-kind for a new unit? I have a spare thru-hull fitting or two, could also utilize of if those (removing the sea cocks in there currently), but maybe transducer pockets would be better?

If these aren’t able to be reused, I’m thinking best to remove and glass them solid.

Thanks

Jason
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Plum76 »

So, figured old transducers with unknown age and no use were no good to me, started removal with the port side one that was under the step to the main cabin.

Might have been factory installed, but the wood blocking under the hull and around the unit were damp (boat has been out of the water for a few weeks now), so off it came. Have feathered back the area for patching and fairing, shouldn’t be too bad.

I’ll be doing the one under the helm as well.

What are you all using for depth finders, thru hull transmitters of this style? I helped a friend install one that used a more traditional thru hull fitting on a sailboat, but flatter hull on his boat, thinking the angle of the A25 will be less than ideal?

Thoughts?

Jason
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

I use an in-hull transducer which mounts inside and does not require a hole in the hull. The sonar signal is transmitted directly through the fibreglass hull. The transducer itself sits in a bath of propylene glycol. Bottom line - no hull protrusions and nothing to foul.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Plum76 »

Do you know what model? What’s the display like, thinking I’m just looking for an LCD readout..

JP
dkirsop wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:28 pm I use an in-hull transducer which mounts inside and does not require a hole in the hull. The sonar signal is transmitted directly through the fibreglass hull. The transducer itself sits in a bath of propylene glycol. Bottom line - no hull protrusions and nothing to foul.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

Mine is Raymarine but Garmin also has them. I believe the housing is a universal fitting with only the plug on the cord matched to various manufacturers. I have had mine for 5 years and never had a problem. Reading and display has been very stable.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

Here is what they look like. The manufacturer is Airmar.
p79.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Plum76 »

Good info, thank you.

JP
dkirsop wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:19 am Here is what they look like. The manufacturer is Airmar.

p79.jpg
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Plum76 »

Diesel tank is out being fitted with a new gauge flange, while its out taking advantage of the access. I don’t much care for painting, but pleased with how it’s going so far. Looks much better after first coat..

Time allowing, will get the other bilges touched up as well..

Jason
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Plum76 »

Also on my fall list is closing up some non-standard access ports that had been added hastily to my engine cover, while I have it out for cleanup and new sound/thermal insulation.

The side hole is just fiberglass, figure I can build that back up with a few layers to get back to good. The one cut into the top will be a bit more involved. Looks like a foam core in there, and not quite sure what is the best replacement filler, marine ply or try to source some similar foam?

Starting with a couple layers on n the inside to give myself something to build on, and have scraped away the loose/dry foam, thought maybe I’d fill the foam area with thickened epoxy/marine plywood cutout, then continue with fiberglass layers? Getting anything to ‘adhere’ to the foam seems problematic and worried about voids in there..

JP

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”