• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

"Long term travels post retirement" ...in an A25

Albin's "power cruisers"
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Traverse City, Mi

Re: "Long term travels post retirement" ...in an A25

Post by Plum76 »

This trip interests me as well, we've been to montreal several times over the last few years and really enjoy it. Plus, this isn't too far from where we are, certainly longer than my wife would prefer to cruise the boat to get to the start, but there's a new tow vehicle on the far horizon that can address that issue.

When is Canada going to open border is the right question I think, we cancelled our multi-resort ski passes for this year (deferred more accurately) because we can't make a typical Canada trip to help justify the cost, we have skiied at Tremblant and Blue Mountain (north of Toronto on Georgian bay) the last few years, both within a day's drive of us. Really disappointing, but the current reality..

JP
DesertAlbin736 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:20 pm
More room for the loop would always be better but the A25 does have some advantages for us on a budget. We are doing parts of the loop each year in our A25. A compost head is great and the electric cooler getting blocks of ice when possible worked well for us. We typically do 3 weeks at a time, stay out of big water if there is any chance of bad weather. With a couple of 5 gal cans of diesel extra, the A25 has a pretty impressive range. Easy to trailer to the next section or even return home each year.
My thoughts are to do a bunch of practice shorter trips to iron out what you can live with and what you must have. 5000miles is a long way in any boat so we like the idea of breaking it up so no one gets that "wanting to just get home" feeling
Well, the way it's been going with COVID lately everything is up in the air for 2021 to say the least. We would still like to do some version or portion of the 700+ miles so-called "Triangle Loop" next year, especially & at least the Rideau Canal. 5,000 miles is a long way to go on a small boat for sure. Ask WillieC about how many miles we did from Blaine, Washington to Desolation Sound, BC. Our record for consecutive days afloat so far is 46, or 6 & 1/2 weeks plus a week on the road each way trailering up & back from Arizona. That's about the time I start to get anxious to return home if for no other reason than we have a pool & landscaping to worry about & pay pool & yard service to have taken care of while we're away. We have come home to minor disasters in the past. Will Canada let Americans back in by next summer? Seems pretty iffy at this point, but who knows. Ontario is having their own problems with COVID. At best Canada expects it'll take until next September to vaccinate the majority of Canadians. And who knows what our vaccine distribution situation will be by next summer.

So we will have to be flexible with our plans. Doing a full Great Loop was never on our bucket list & still isn't though. There are several alternate options, say a run over to Dana Point, CA for some SoCal harbor hopping between now & March while the annual grey & humpback whale migrations up the coast from Mexico is in progress. Or the California Delta out of Stockton before the heat of summer hits. Or back to the Pacific NW but stay on the US side for the San Juans & Puget Sound if we're still locked out of Canada. Or a late summer/early fall east coast trip to Erie Canal, Lake Champlain, & Chesapeake Bay, trailering between each location. All TBD.

triangleloopmap.jpg
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Post by Bearkeley »

We have done long term travels in camper vans in Australia and New Zealand and find that our 27 is HUGE and such a luxury! 😜. We spent 7 months on our Mary Jo, a modified A27FC a couple of years ago, taking her from VA to the Keys and back. We have a couple of short articles on our blog here about ICW Tips https://ourhappylife.wordpress.com/category/cruising/. It was fun, and we highly recommend it, but we decided, once was enough....the world is huge and we wanted to see and do other things. Then, COVID hit and now, travel doesn’t make sense....unless you are on a boat, anchoring in beautiful places away from others.

So, we took Mary Jo down from Va and plan to spend the winter anchored in the Keys. We would like to do the Triangle Loop too next year, but if we do, we will most likely hire someone to trailer her up north by truck (not as easy as a 25, but still very doable)!
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

I plan to be in Key West in mid to late January. If all goes according to plan, we will be doing a trip to the Dry Tortugas. I'll be on my friend's sailboat. My boat's not yet ready for cruising. If you're still in the area, we could meet up for cocktails.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Post by Bearkeley »

nebulatech wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:16 pm I plan to be in Key West in mid to late January. If all goes according to plan, we will be doing a trip to the Dry Tortugas. I'll be on my friend's sailboat. My boat's not yet ready for cruising. If you're still in the area, we could meet up for cocktails.
Sounds great! Let’s keep in touch!
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I plan to be in Key West in mid to late January. If all goes according to plan, we will be doing a trip to the Dry Tortugas. I'll be on my friend's sailboat. My boat's not yet ready for cruising. If you're still in the area, we could meet up for cocktails.
Sounds nice. No plans for us to be there, but if we were we'd for sure join you for Margaritas. Last time we were in Key West was ten years ago right after I retired in 2010. We extended a Caribbean cruise ship vacation and the Admiral found a deal where we rented a small house boat docked on a canal up the road in Key Largo. We drove down to Key West for a sunset schooner cruise & walked around town including drinks at Sloppy Joe's. The town looked a little seedier than I remembered it being from was when I was there once before in 1975 back in my hippie days. That's another whole story of my life's adventures. You can't throw a stick in Key West without hitting a T shirt shop. I still have my Conch Republic flag. Be sure to watch for the green flash at sunset off Mallory Square. Good memories. I still have that hat & shirt. You'll have a great time. Nice place to be this time of year.
IMG_0442.JPG
IMG_0452.JPG
IMG_0461.JPG
IMG_0488.JPG
This year we watched the sunset off the Oceanside fishing pier in California.

DSCN5014.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”