• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fresh water tank replacement

Albin's "power cruisers"
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Fresh water tank replacement

Post by DCatSea »

I think its time to change the fresh water tank on Mazboot; the current one is way beyond the use of shock treatment, and may be about to leak anyways.

I'm thinking of a standard Todd 20 gallon (at 30"L x 16"W x 10"H it's a bit smaller than the huge 45 gallon one installed years ago). But I figure that a few 2-gall. bottles of Deer Park will more than make up the difference if we go far astray.

Has anyone experienced negatives on these tanks, or had issue with removal or installation of tanks? Any comments most welcome.

Thanks.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Re: Fresh water tank replacement

Post by Ambler27FC »

I replaced my septic tank with one of these 2 seasons ago. No issues yet. Just barely squeaked in between my engine and the hatch opening. Also added a port on top for easy clean out. The only hard part was connecting the hoses - especially the deck-fill hose.

Without removing the engine, I imagine your original water tank is coming out in pieces.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

I'm hoping that with the batteries out, and possibly the water muffler, I'll be able to squeak the original monster out (with difficulty?).
My hatch is a hefty one-piece that can be "easily" removed, giving a bit more access room than the standard two-piece model. The new tank will be significantly smaller, which I hope will make deck connection less hard, if not easy.

Question: Have you ever had your shaft pulled?
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

Question: Have you ever had your shaft pulled? -is-this_like having your crank yanked?
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Re: Fresh water tank replaceme

Post by Ambler27FC »

Please take a picture if you can get that tank out in one piece! My water tank is pretty tall and looks deep. It may depend on your engine installation. The 20 gallon tank had to go in at just the right angle get it in place. Quick work with a reciprocating saw if you can’t get the tank out in one piece.

I think it is a smart move reducing tank size. I drink water out of cooler (the engine heats the water tank) and only use the tank to wash hands, dishes, anchor, and deck.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

My existing tank is 48L x 17W x 10H. It might yet be a Sawzall job, but I live in hope once the batteries are out. If i rise to the challenge I will post pix; if not I'll post bit-pix.
I also think/hope the smaller tank will facilitate easier deck connections.
I also hope that this evolution will make installation of new sound insulation a bit easier on the port side, once the old tank is out.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

I replaced my tank. If I remember correctly I had to cut up the old 45 gallon one. It cuts real easy with a saw saw. I put a 28 gallon tank in it place and a hot water heater.
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

DCatSea wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:30 pm My existing tank is 48L x 17W x 10H.
Not that it matters, but that would be a 35 US gallon rather than a 45 gallon tank.
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
sailonset
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Onset, MA

Post by sailonset »

I've considered using two tanks to replace the huge original one. Easier to put in without losing capacity.
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Post by Bearkeley »

We just installed a 20gal Todd as our holding tank and found it very easy to fit in on the starboard side, so don’t see why it would be hard on the port for water. So happy we did it.
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”