• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bow propeller/thruster

Albin's "power cruisers"
Chris G
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Aalborg, Denmark

Bow propeller/thruster

Post by Chris G »

Hi Guys,
I am about to install a bow prop/thruster but I am not sure what to buy. I need the benefit of your experience :)
What make do you have? I have considered Vetus, Quick and Max Power. Is 35 kgf enough?
Now the boat is on land I need something to distract me!
Thanks guys.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Bow propeller/thruster

Post by WillieC »

Search "bow thruster" for good info here at AOG.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Chris G wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:58 am Hi Guys,
I am about to install a bow prop/thruster but I am not sure what to buy. I need the benefit of your experience :)
What make do you have? I have considered Vetus, Quick and Max Power. Is 35 kgf enough?
Now the boat is on land I need something to distract me!
Thanks guys.
Which boat do you have?
My 28TE has a 4 horse power Vetus thruster, it is plenty strong for docking in up to 25 knots of direct crosswind, but if I replace it, I would go the next model up. (55 kgf instead of 50)
If you have strong prop-walk and a big rudder, you may not need a thruster: I was operating sailboats for 20+ years with no bow thruster, but now that I am addicted, can’t go without anymore.. :mrgreen:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

The latest thread on a bow thruster for an A25:
http://www.albinowners.net/aog/viewtopi ... 28&t=12841
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Chris G
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Chris G »

Forgot to mention.....it is for an Albin 25DL from 1976. Sorry.
I have been told that it is a bad idea to install a bow thruster that is too powerful.
I was wondering what the Albin 25 owners have experienced with their bow thrusters and how much force is best.
I think it would be a handy tool, as I often sail alone and it is almost always windy here in Northern Jutland. I have survived the last 4 years without, but it would be nice with a bit og luxury :)
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

. I have been told that it is a bad idea to install a bow thruster that is too powerful.
True, don’t install a 50 hp bow thruster. :shock: :D

Seriously, a powerful thruster probably won’t hurt you, but it will be more expensive and not necessary.
You run a thruster by “blipping” the joy stick, not by running it continuously : Strong bow thruster, use less, weak thruster, use more.
Most bow thrusters are limited by time of operation, usually 3 to 5 minutes continuously, or every hour, go beyond that and then they overheat and go to hell. :shock:
(No cooling down there in the bow)

Again, if you have strong prop walk and a big rudder, don’t bother getting a bow thruster, get expensive girl friends and strong drinks instead.
(Been there, done that) :shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
slip31
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: labelle, fl

Post by slip31 »

i have a a27fc with a vetus 23 from the factory, it is leaking and i am replacing it with a vetus 45, this is from what david has said and my experience, the 23 was a little weak, and he had another albin owner replace his with a45 and he was happy, i felt a little more power was needed. steve
Chris G
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Chris G »

Thanks Steve. I've gone for a Quick BTQ125, 40 kgf. So now I've got a winter project to keep me busy:)

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”