• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yahoo Group, Albin Cruisers

Albin's "power cruisers"
paulrhein
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Cinco Bayou Florida

Yahoo Group, Albin Cruisers

Post by paulrhein »

As most of you know the Yahoo Group Albin Cruisers 25 & 27 has been shut down. A lot of the original member were older than me and are hesitant to join Facebook. I understand their reluctance to join Facebook. After over 6 years and 523 members from all over the world we haven’t any known corruption or spamming. Please consider joining us on Facebook. Below is the hyperlink to the group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/898145276863354

Paul Rhein
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Yahoo Group, Albin Cruisers

Post by Nancy »

Hi Paul --

My not so humble opinion is that this would be a better home than Facebook. No ads, no tracking, no spam...knock on wood. Huge advantage here is searchable threads. Facebook is beyond awful for that. Also, the software for this forum would look similar to the old Yahoo groups.

[Edited 12/24/20: Please see my 12/24/20 post on page 2 of this thread for clarification.]
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Why not invite them to come and stay here on this friendly Albin Owners Group?
No benefits going to FB if the subjects are old and reluctant to newfound social media.

I was on a Yahoo group years ago, bit it is soo 90s, this platform may be old as well, but much more up to date than Yahoo
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

Forums (or fora?) like this serve as both an instant conversation and as an archive of useful, often priceless, information. Facebook on the other hand is ephemeral by its very nature, useful for the instant, but long gone and forgotten in the next instant. Advertise on FB, ask for help NOW on FB, invite others to a shindig on FB, but don't waste the opportunity to gather and preserve knowledge with a chance of some degree of posterity and continuity.
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Thumbs up Everyone.

Thank you.
(FB sucks.)
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I agree with Nancy. Facebook IMO is an evil corporation run by a preppy twit. Everything Albin you need is right here.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

DA et al put it perfectly. My only contribution is that FB is also very political (even if the preppy twit says it ain't so).

Would love to see Y'Albineers on AOG
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

Add my small voice to the anti-Facecrook chorus. For a valuable and long lasting information resource, it’s hard to beat a forum like this one.

Tom
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

"(FB sucks.)"

Love it. Conversation over.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

I LIKE AOG! I might be a little bit older, but I'm still learning things here. Ben
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

Facebook is nothing more than a data mining political machine. Facebook can suck it as far as I’m concerned. And I’m one of the younger guys...
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

A uniform negative reaction to Facebook, but I hope not a rejection of Mr. Rhein's effort on behalf of the classic Albins. No doubt he puts a lot of time and emotional energy into his group, and surely anything that brings new, and especially younger, blood to an appreciation of these boats is laudable and even critical to their future health and survival.

I visit the  FB page from time to time, and am very tempted to participate, but my previous experience with FB was so negative that I deleted (or rather tried to: you cannot ever delete your Facebook page, merely inactivate it) and resolved never to rejoin. I have also seen two classic car fora go extinct after they created FB groups, which then went on to be irrelevant chit-chat shops with little meaningful content, and what little there was disappearing very quickly into the cyber-ether.

However, for those born after 1980, and many even older, Facebook is the centre of their social existence, and a group like Paul's is absolutely essential for any endeavour to have a hope of survival. I just wish it was possible to have the cake of FB and eat it in Forum-form as well.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

"not a rejection of Mr. Rhein's effort on behalf of the classic Albins."

Absolutely correct. Thank you for that acknowledgement.
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

Forums and Facebook groups should not compete or be mutually antagonistic: their goals should be shared. It would be nice to imagine a forum and a Facebook group that could enjoy a symbiosis that would help foster new and casual curiosity and turn it into real interest and longer-term engagement.

If a FB page, having first attracted interest in a subject (like classic Albins, for instance), would then steer towards the forum those  postings likely to produce a good interaction and to help to preserve or expand knowledge. A permanent link to the forum would help;  I notice that the European albin25motor FB page links to relevant companies and YouTube channels, although not to any forums.   Meanwhile the FB group would  keep up Facebook's main strength of capturing and attracting the curiosity in the first place, and maintaining a feeling of liveliness and immediacy. In return the forum could foster the FB page as a more immediate notice board and social calendar, for getting urgent, timely and other more ephemeral information out.

Pretty unrealistic, I know.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

>>not a rejection of Mr. Rhein's effort <<
Echoing everyone else, absolutely not! The Albin Boat Owners and Albin 28TE Boats groups on FB both welcome exchanges with each other and with this forum. I imagine Paul's group will be the same.

Bob N, you make great points.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”