• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 Holding Tank Question

Albin's "power cruisers"
SkipRocks
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Augustine, FL

A27 Holding Tank Question

Post by SkipRocks »

Would anyone happen to have the dimensions & size of the holding tank on the A27? I doubt there is a difference between the FC & SC models as it was originally mounted on the starboard shelf alongside the engine. The system had been removed by a PO and had been replaced with a camp toilet when we acquired the boat.
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Re: A27 Holding Tank Question

Post by motthediesel »

Well, it's tiny :lol:

I took mine out when we installed a composting head. We replaced it with a fuel day tank.

This afternoon I'll look for it, as it's buried in snow right now. I can shoot some pictures and take some dimensions for you too. Or -- if you want, I'll send it to you for whatever the shipping cost would be. As far as I know, there was nothing wrong with it.

Tom
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

The capacity is only about 10 gallons but that lasts the wife and I about a week when we're cruising and primarily on the hook. It's located on the shelf on the stbd side, just in front of the rear ER bulkhead in my '87 FC. Ben
SkipRocks
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Augustine, FL

Post by SkipRocks »

Tom, Thanks for your response. Definitely interested and just may take you up on your offer.

Ben, Appreciate the information. That is small, but that would not be an issue for us. Our A27 is a sport cruiser and 80% of the time our trips are just day trips fishing or chilling.

Skip
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

Skip,

OK, I found that tank. It’s 14” wide, 17” long, and 10” high.

I’d be happy to send it to you, but I can see that there is a crack above the uppermost hose connection. It probably would not leak, and could easily be sealed, but I thought I should tell you. I’d guess it would be fine, but on a risk/reward basis, you might not want to take that chance. This coming from a semi-professional plumber :lol:

I can’t attach a picture from my phone here, so I’ll email it to you.
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Post by Bearkeley »

We just replaced our original tank on Mary Jo and doubled it to a 20 gallon from Todd. Highly recommend it if you plan to anchor out.

http://www.toddusa.com/productdetails.aspx?id=83&f=21
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I did similar with our A25 in 2016. See SkipRock's follow up plumbing thread. We do anchor out a lot on extended cruises, and the 9 gallon tank we had just didn't cut it, especially up in the BC Gulf Islands in Canada where pump out facilities are few and far between and are coin operated costing $5 to $10 CAD (Loonie and Toonie coins for folks familiar with Canadian money) At 76c US to $1 CAD that's $3.80 & $7.60 US respectively. But it's more about the scarcity of locations than the cost.

Here's the 20 gallon tank we got for $325 from Ronco in L.A. area.
DSCN3419R.jpg
We may tentatively be on the Chesapeake later in the season closer to September or early October this year, still TBD. If so probably the closest we would get to the Wicomico River would be Bivalve on the Nanticoke.

La Dolce Vita in Bivalve Marina, June 22, 2015
DSCN2846.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Q for Mott: Regarding the composting head. I'm giving some serious thought to this but would welcome your inputs on your experience with the changeover from holding tank etc. or even a pic of the completed install.

Thanks
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

Doug,

Careful— I’m kind of an annoying crank when it comes to composting heads 😂 I’m 66 years old and I’ve been around boats and campers since I was a tyke, and I will never own anything with holding tank again. I also run our family business, which is a vacation cottage rental place, so plumbing, (in all it’s glories) has been a big part of my life, I think I know my sh1t. 😊

My wife and I also have an old Avion camper trailer, and when we bought it, the first thing we did was take out the toilet and replace it with a “Natures Head” composting unit. We both LOVE IT — it never smells, and we never have to deal with the “Stinky Slinky” pump out hose.

Sure, it’s not perfect, you do have to deal with the “pee tank” every couple of days, but that’s no big deal. And (depending on use) you need to change the solids medium monthly or so. Still, neither of those jobs are really unpleasant to do, and I don’t mind them at all.

In the Albin, we went with a “C-Head” unit. It’s somewhat different than the “Airhead” or “Nature’s Head” types. It’s simpler, and uses standard one gallon milk jugs for the pee tank. It’s also (subjectively) better looking I think. It’s also a couple of hundred bucks less, none of these are cheap. Here’s a picture as installed in our boat, pretty snazzy I think.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Mott - thanks for the heads up. No picture I'm afraid, but you've given me a lot to think about.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

Let me try again.
Chead.jpg
See that?

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Tom,
That's a very nice piece of work. I was wondering how you fit it in the space available.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

Thanks Doug!

C-head makes a special “boat version” that has the rear bottom corner trimmed off to fit better against the typical curving bilge area of most boats. We ordered that model — we also paid a little extra for the teak finish and the black seat.

To fit it to the boat, I just made a paper pattern of the bottom of the unit. We removed the old head, marked the base with the pattern, and sawed it out with a jigsaw. The head base area is super-thick, with two layers of 3/4” plywood under the glass, but it cut OK.

Unlike the “Airhead” and “Nature’s Head” folks, the C-head people are not that insistent on a powered vent, but I’m fitting one anyway. I’m running a flex hose in the same path as the old head discharge line into the engine room.

I couldn’t think of a good way to discharge it without cutting another hole through the deck or topsides, so I’m going to try something different. I have bought a stainless steel wrapped charcoal air filter, and I’m going to try discharging through that directly into the engine room, thereby abating any objectionable smell. In case you are wondering, those filters are used to eliminate tell-tale odors from the ventilation systems of indoor greenhouses. Yes, those greenhouses used to cultivate valuable crops of questionable legality — if you get my drift :D

The fan will run continuously, but as it’s a tiny laptop unit, it only draws a minuscule amount of current.

We like the clean look of the C-head, though we haven’t used it much yet. We just love the Natures Head we have in our camper, but it wouldn’t have worked as well in this space. The “agitator” handle on the C-head is removable and fits in the top, so that is way better here.

Tom
saltypaws
Mate
Mate
Home Port: port charlotte fl. March 2019 Relocated to Clifton Royal New Brunswic

Post by saltypaws »

Shiprocks, when we bought our Albin 25 7 years ago one of the first decisions was get red of the portapotti. Year 2 we installed a Natures head. Installation was simple. We did not use the electric exhaust fan. On the roof of the forward cabin inside the head as far forward as possible we installed a solar vent. Connected the vent which continuously vents the boat through the head. We have never had any smell inside or outside the boat from the head. The added benefit is the continuous air flow even when the boat is not in use.
Lola Girl our A 25 sat on a lift in Florida for 10 months a year closed up.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”