• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Trailer for A25

Albin's "power cruisers"
qboat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Lewes DE

Re: Trailer for A25

Post by qboat »

DesertAlbin, I have seen that boat somewhere myself--great boat name, by the way. The boat I am looking at is the one currently posted in the sale/swap section of this board--Placebo. She is in a boat yard over on the Potomac. Also an older dispacement hull boat. I am having her surveyed this week. No trailer--I would have to run her from near DC down the Potomac, across the Chesapeake and up to Blades, and have her blocked off while I fit a trailer to her. That is a goodly trip--but just a trifle for you! The seller seems to be a great guy--hope the survey goes well.
qboat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by qboat »

I don't know why I am having trouble posting--I apologize if this posts twice. DesertAlbin, I have seen this boat before myself somewhere--great boat name, by the way. The boat I am looking at is one posted in the Sale/Swap section of this board, Placebo, also an older style displacement boat over on the Potomac. No trailer, so I would have to run her from near DC down tha Potomac, across the Chesapeake and up the Nanticoke to Blades, and have her blocked while I fit a trailer. That is a goodly run, but a mere trifle for you! The current owner proves to be a very nice guy. I am having her surveyed. Keeping my fingers crossed.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Ours has about the setup you were talking about. It has two 3500# axles. We have done quite a bit of DA pulling with it, covering a far amount of new england. I replaced all tires with D rated this last summer. The C rated tires does not hold up. Some drag racing guys i know say that keeping tire pressure near max is important. I have drums on mine and a 6500 lb rated actuator. I posted quite a few times about it so you can find more if you search the forum. This season it will get a guide vee on the rearmost crossbeam to help center it when loading. The single board support work well. The keel is very straight before the drop leading to the skeg tube so it spread load well with no shimming or adjustments. Try to get a bolted rather than welded trailer if you can. If you search here on the forum you will see the work Dessert Albin had to do on his.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

The boat I am looking at is one posted in the Sale/Swap section of this board, Placebo, also an older style displacement boat over on the Potomac. No trailer, so I would have to run her from near DC down the Potomac, across the Chesapeake and up the Nanticoke to Blades, and have her blocked while I fit a trailer.
I didn't see that boat on the For Sale/Swap page. Is the ad still up or did you save any photos? Oh, that's tough luck having to motor down the Potomac (not!). That would be a good run, maybe with a stop at Smith Island. At least the Nanticoke Marina has a Travelift so the that will help. If we do make it to Blades later this summer/early fall we'll look for you. Coincidentally our original plan the last time we were on the Chesapeake was to motor up the Potomac to DC in time for July 4th, but it was just so hot & muggy we scrapped that idea & cut our time to two weeks, & stayed around the Solomons/St. Leonards Creek/Cambridge/Oxford/St Michaels area. We launched on June 23, 2015 & hauled out back at Blades on July 8th. In all we logged 62 engine hours between those dates.
Chesapeake course.jpg
That is a goodly trip--but just a trifle for you!
Sticking to a trailerable size boat with good fuel mileage is what it's all about. This was our 2018 Desolation Sound Cruise course along with WillieC. For scale on this map the distance between Blaine and Vancouver, BC is about 31 miles.
2018 cruise map.jpg
The Chesapeake is a wonderful cruising ground, but you won't see scenes like this there.
DSCN4455 (1280x960).jpg
Life is short but full of adventures if you go for it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
qboat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by qboat »

Desert Albin--be great to see you! If I get a trailer for her, we will be in Lewes. I have agreed to buy Placebo for the asking price. The ad is still up, posed by Dale West on February 10. It includes an older survey with lots of pictures. Got a great current report from my surveyor, so am really excited to get her.
qboat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by qboat »

Tribologist--those pictures are great--that is the way I intend to set mine up. Thanks for the help. Sam
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Tribologist,
This season it will get a guide vee on the rearmost crossbeam to help center it when loading.
Keep in mind how deep the back end of the trailer is in the water when floating the boat back onto the trailer. The front and midships will settle onto the bunks first as you're pulling out. A better solution would be posts or guide boards near midships like what I had on one of my previous sailboats. The problem there of course is the wheels are in the way. Listo was a wing keel 2nd generation Catalina 22 that I took my now wife out on the lake for a day sail on our first date in 2005. Mostly sailed that on our local lake except for one trip to Monterey, CA before upsizing to a Catalina 25 in 2008.
IMG_0269.JPG
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Ok, just looked up the ad. Nice boat! A low hour Kubota (aka Beta) engine alone is worth the price of the boat. $9K is a good price. These (in my biased opinion) are wonderful boats except that they don't like hot weather and they don't like rough beam seas (will roll on wet grass). But as a spring & fall cruiser you'll be comfortably sheltered from the snottiest weather. And even in summer you'll stay dry at the helm if/when caught out in rainstorms. Expect fuel burn rate of 0.4 to 0.5 gallons per hour at 6 to 6.5 knots which is your cruising speed with full displacement hull & 24 HP. 1972 hull numbers range from 1127 to 1363, so 236 hulls were built in Sweden that year, between 4 & 5 per week. From noticing the registration numbers that must have been a BC Canadian boat at one time. Looking on the Albineers of BC club site sure enough I see Placebo was indeed a BC boat & the current or a previous owner was a member of that club. Go to this page & scroll down & see this photo of Placebo in Otter Bay, North Pender Island BC in 2011, home island of dkirsop. The way his dinghy is carried on snap davits is how ours was until the time it caught a wave off the BC Sunshine Coast & got torn off in 2016. But that's another story & one of if not the scariest thing we ever went through.

http://www.albinbc.com/pictures/2011/al ... y-photos-1

This is indeed a small world, both WillieC and I have met a number of members of this Albineers of BC club at their 2018 & 2019 rendezvous in Ladysmith BC on Vancouver Island.
Placebo.jpg
dkirsop, & ssrig if you've seen this post does this boat look familiar to you? If so do you know any of its history?
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
qboat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by qboat »

Thanks for the neat links. If you reduce the world to boat nuts it is small; then reduce it to a certain type of boat nut: tiny. Yes, Placebo, per the current owner, was owned by a doctor in BC from new in '72 until sale in around 2015. Current owner used her in Wasington State, then trucked her to Washington DC where she is lying now. I am owner 3. She appears largely unmolested--original style canvas pilot top, no hardtop over the cockpit, etc.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

tribologist wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:02 am Ours has about the setup you were talking about. It has two 3500# axles. We have done quite a bit of DA pulling with it, covering a far amount of new england. I replaced all tires with D rated this last summer. The C rated tires does not hold up. Some drag racing guys i know say that keeping tire pressure near max is important. I have drums on mine and a 6500 lb rated actuator. I posted quite a few times about it so you can find more if you search the forum. This season it will get a guide vee on the rearmost crossbeam to help center it when loading. The single board support work well. The keel is very straight before the drop leading to the skeg tube so it spread load well with no shimming or adjustments. Try to get a bolted rather than welded trailer if you can. If you search here on the forum you will see the work Dessert Albin had to do on his.
Just wondering how far off the ground your skeg is with your setup?
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

qboat wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:50 pm Thanks for the neat links. If you reduce the world to boat nuts it is small; then reduce it to a certain type of boat nut: tiny. Yes, Placebo, per the current owner, was owned by a doctor in BC from new in '72 until sale in around 2015. Current owner used her in Wasington State, then trucked her to Washington DC where she is lying now. I am owner 3. She appears largely unmolested--original style canvas pilot top, no hardtop over the cockpit, etc.
I contacted the seller early last year, before the Covid Three Ring Circus fouled the world up. I can confirm that he seemed an exceptionally pleasant and honest person, and the boat is no doubt a great bargain. Congratulations! And envy 🤢
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
qboat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by qboat »

Bob, he seems like a very nice guy indeed, and I was happy with the price. I am laid up this spring, and could not travel to see the boat. I was able to find a local surveyor who worked with the seller to do an on-the-beach examination and a sea test, which came back extremely positive. Done. Could not have been an easier transaction.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”