• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Exhaust renovation- no more Elastomuffle

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Exhaust renovation- no more Elastomuffle

Post by tribologist »

Took the old exhaust out of Driftless. Im putting in a Centec checkvalve where the Elastomuffle was before. I probably wasted $120 on the checkvalve since there was nothing left functioning in the old muffler and it seems to be fine without. It is a strange design, kind of like the baleen plates of a whale.

Anyway it did not provide no waterlock or anything. If any, it probably acted as a speaker.. there is no fiber reinforcement in them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by tribologist on Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: Exhaust renovation- no more Elastomuffle

Post by dkirsop »

I am guessing that diaphragm thingy with the slits was burned and melted when the engine got run for a long time with no water coming through the exhaust. It's supposed to restrict the flow through the muffler to one direction but there is clearly a hole that roughly approximates the size of the exhaust outlet. Yea, the Elasto muffler is definitely a dodgy effort.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

So that was the muffler & not the check valve? Looks pretty ugly. So remind me, what engine do you have in Driftless?

Here's what's in La Dolce Vita. There's a check valve back under the port aft cabin quarter berth, but I don't have any photos of that. So far everything's working fine & never given any trouble in 7 years & 600+ engine hours we've run.
DSCN3408 (1280x960).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:57 pm So that was the muffler & not the check valve? Looks pretty ugly. So remind me, what engine do you have in Driftless?

Here's what's in La Dolce Vita. There's a check valve back under the port aft cabin quarter berth, but I don't have any photos of that. So far everything's working fine & never given any trouble in 7 years & 600+ engine hours we've run.
DSCN3408 (1280x960).jpg
Its a Isuzu 3CB1 industrial diesel. It was working good. THere were no heat damage in the hoses but the rear hose was not a marine hose so I bought new hose all the way. I'm also replacing the crummy cut through hose clamp with Albin approved ABA.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

That diaphragm thingy is where all the busted impeller pieces end up and re-fuse themselves together.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

I have a similar unit with a check valve on mine.
Did the original elastromuffler have a built in check valve?
I also have a rubber flap (check valve ) mounted to exhaust exit on the outside of the boat.

For some reason I keep getting a error message while trying to upload pictures.

Also, I’ve been seriously considering adding a ball valve either under the rear bed area or closer to the motor by the stuffing box. There is a cut out I. The plywood under the cushion directly above the exhaust right next to the transom. It leads me to believe at some point I. It’s history it had a valve.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

The new version of the website does not accept larger file sizes like the previous version used to. If your pictures are >1 or 2 MB just resize them down to <1 MB. I run Windows 10 on my desktop and use the Photo Gallery app. In File Manager right click on your desired photo, click "Open With" and open your photo in Photo Gallery, click on the "Edit, Organize, or Share" tab. Your photo will be highlighted among others in the folder as shown here. This is how I organize my pictures by year with subfolders according to subject, plus a separate Albin folder with subfolders for past projects.
filesize.jpg
Double click on your selected photo which opens the edit function for that photo, click on the Properties menu drop down, click on "Resize", select & click "Large:1280". That will save a smaller file size copy & leave your original alone. Large:1280 is a size the upload function can handle
filesize1.jpg
Also, I’ve been seriously considering adding a ball valve either under the rear bed area or closer to the motor by the stuffing box.
The folks that did our repower job a couple PO's back did add a ball valve under the aft cabin quarter berth, which on the early models like mine are on port side. Note to self: cycle that valve next time I go over to the boat.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Thats a scary idea.. the potential upside is outweigh by the potential of forgetting it closed
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Like forgetting to unhook the safety chain when backing down the ramp...
The mind is a terrible thing to waste.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Nah. , thats just an embarrassment. Blowing out your exhaust is an other level.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Was it Kerrye who almost sank his with a blown Elasto?
I didn't get close enough to the water to sink mine.
LopezMike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lopez Island, WA. USA San Juan Islands

Post by LopezMike »

O.K. I don't mind sounding stupid.

So you now have a check valve. From what I can find on-line, the Centec check valve isn't a muffler. What do you do for a muffler? Is it really noisy now?

Mike
Caprice
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:33 pm
The new version of the website does not accept larger file sizes like the previous version used to. If your pictures are >1 or 2 MB just resize them down to <1 MB. I run Windows 10 on my desktop and use the Photo Gallery app. In File Manager right click on your desired photo, click "Open With" and open your photo in Photo Gallery, click on the "Edit, Organize, or Share" tab. Your photo will be highlighted among others in the folder as shown here. This is how I organize my pictures by year with subfolders according to subject, plus a separate Albin folder with subfolders for past projects.

filesize.jpg

Double click on your selected photo which opens the edit function for that photo, click on the Properties menu drop down, click on "Resize", select & click "Large:1280". That will save a smaller file size copy & leave your original alone. Large:1280 is a size the upload function can handle

filesize1.jpg
Also, I’ve been seriously considering adding a ball valve either under the rear bed area or closer to the motor by the stuffing box.
The folks that did our repower job a couple PO's back did add a ball valve under the aft cabin quarter berth, which on the early models like mine are on port side. Note to self: cycle that valve next time I go over to the boat.
Thank you!!!! Now I understand why I couldn’t post pictures!!!! I only use my iPhone 12pro and actually don’t own a computer anymore. But after you explanation I downloaded a app that resizes pictures. That should fix the issue I think.
I’m pretty sold on the idea of a ball valve as I intend to eventually leave the boat on my mooring. Good peace of mind knowing that would be shut. But as pointed out it’s critical to remember to open it. I think a big reminder on the keychain and a big sign as well as a well established habit of opening it immediately upon boarding the boat should be sufficient.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Not sure yet but its quite a few people out there with straight pipes. My guess is it will be louder behind and quieter inside
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I think a big reminder on the keychain and a big sign as well as a well established habit of opening it immediately upon boarding the boat should be sufficient.
Something like a "remove before flight" warning flag with a note to check open exhaust hose ball valve.
Remove-before-flight-DYK_965x545.jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”