• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 Purchasing wisdom sought

Albin's "power cruisers"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: A25 Purchasing wisdom sought

Post by WillieC »

I'd be surprised by a deformed hull, though it is not impossible. As to it springing back? hmmm....With that 650 pound motor, just do a few zigzags in the water at speed. Ha, six knots...that oughta do it
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

I sometimes get a slight deformation of the forward hull if the keel is not sitting properly on the rollers. This usually occurs at my forward starboard side. It is not a big deal and disappears once I support the hull more uniformly or launch the boat. When the boat is sitting for long periods I support most of the weight with blocks placed under the keel which rest on the ground and only rely on the roller bunks as steady rests. I haven't put a straight edge on it but think it looks worse than it is; probably less than 1/8 inch. It does affect door and panel fit in the cabin. Once the boat is launched the problems disappear. Some fine tuning of the trailer supports is likely needed.

Under the motor may be worth looking at closer. This part of the hull is reinforced with the stringers and the box ducts for the air intake. Along with a deeper keel section.

I don't know anything about the boat's history.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

I can't speak to hull deformation except to say that my hull has flexed on the trailer a little bit. I noticed it when reinstalling the forward bulkhead. Some screw holes were maybe 1/8" out of alignment.

Also, fwiw, the hull is about 3/8" thick below the water line, observed while replacing thru hulls.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

That dimple is on mine too and i seen it on images on other boats. Its the interface between the engine tub and hull.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
homesteady
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bellingham, WA

Post by homesteady »

tribologist wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:37 am That dimple is on mine too and i seen it on images on other boats. Its the interface between the engine tub and hull.
Interesting. Could this be alleviated by distributing the supports over a wider area to span the tub/hull interface? Since this trailer has just the three stands/pads on each side I was wondering if it would be better off changing over to carpeted bunks that span between 2 or even 3 of the stands. It could still be adjustable and might make it easier to line up at the boat launch and take the weight over a wider area.
Alex
Albin 25 No. 1583
"Sandcastle"
Bellingham, WA USA
Pacific Northwest
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Interesting. I don't recall seeing any such deformation or 'dimples' on my hull. Maybe the full length bunks do help? This was a real tough & dirty job, sanding down through 4 layers of old bottom paint, the remnants of which can be seen on the starboard side where the bunks were when sanding as much as possible with the boat still on the trailer.
DSCN3613.JPG
DSCN3616.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
homesteady
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bellingham, WA

Post by homesteady »

We did it! Here's the Sandcastle arriving at her new home all shrink wrapped
PXL_20210529_011444432.jpg
Here's the Universal 5432 that I'm trying to get started. Changed oil, pumped out and flushed fuel tank, now purging all the lines. Still got a few bubbles to work out.
PXL_20210604_030603998.jpg
Finally got the shrink off last weekend. Hoping to splash in the next week!
PXL_20210613_215504246.jpg
PXL_20210613_221812467.MP.jpg
We're super excited to get on the water! Just have a few more chores to finish before she's ready to cruise. There's a good list of winter projects but she's a very well-kept boat and happy to be taking this on.
See ya on the water!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Alex
Albin 25 No. 1583
"Sandcastle"
Bellingham, WA USA
Pacific Northwest
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Congratulations! I foresee soap and water in your future. Enjoy. All kidding aside, she looks like a good boat.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

Looks good! I see the radar up on the mast. Is it a 24 mile radar? It will probably come in handy, a nice bit of kit to come with the boat.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I like that anchor rode fairlead with pulley block up on the bow. It eliminates potential chafe issues. Also the raw water strainer with top cap like ours (except ours is aft closer to the raw water intake) which makes it easier to hook up a cooling water source to enable test running the engine while the boat is on the trailer.

We're doing the East Coast this year but hope to get back up to the PNW again in future years.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

I been looking at the Swedish Albin forum a really nice deluxe just sold for about $9k. 4 cyl yanmar, excellent condition. I wonder...... https://www.sevenstar-yacht-transport.com/get-a-quote
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Don't forget any import duties and rigmarole. Throw in a hefty escrow of pre-buyers remorse to cover what doesn't make it across the pond.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

I recently looked into what it costs to ship a small yacht by boat. It seems like it's well over $10k.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

nebulatech wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:04 pm I recently looked into what it costs to ship a small yacht by boat. It seems like it's well over $10k.
Got a quote for a Albin 25 Gothenburg-NY. $15000
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
CLIVE1
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: BELLINGHAM,WA

Post by CLIVE1 »

I have that part used. clive(Bellingham)

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”