• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 Tortoise - WAS Albin 25 for sale

Albin's "power cruisers"
LydiaS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mid-coast Maine

Re: Albin 25 for sale in Connecticut

Post by LydiaS »

Tortoise is indeed under my care in mid-coast Maine. She has been sadly neglected for some years, and is now stripped of all "soft stuff" and is being cleaned and de-mildewed while I begin a 2 or 3 year restoration. Engine(VP MD-17 C or D) is out, form built for pilothouse F/G rebuild, and a "list" is forming. Will post progress in new thread.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: A25 Tortoise - WAS Albin 25 for sale

Post by jcollins »

<Post name updated>
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Re: Albin 25 for sale in Connecticut

Post by tribologist »

LydiaS wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:48 am Tortoise is indeed under my care in mid-coast Maine. She has been sadly neglected for some years, and is now stripped of all "soft stuff" and is being cleaned and de-mildewed while I begin a 2 or 3 year restoration. Engine(VP MD-17 C or D) is out, form built for pilothouse F/G rebuild, and a "list" is forming. Will post progress in new thread.
That is just awesome! That boat deserves a second chance. Its the first thing you find on the internet if you search on Albin 25. I reached out to Ocean 7 to see if there is a way we can preserve the /Tortoise post. So many people have seen that post.

I will upload a drawing of the pilot house lamination. It would be great if you could create a Tortoise thread!
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Here is the pilot house drawing. Prickfärg is "dotted paint" if anyone wondered.. note 5.5mm +- 0.5 around windows Just between 3/16" and 1/4" Probably make sense to carefully sand down to 3/16 when replacing window seals.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
LydiaS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by LydiaS »

This is the beginning of the pilot-house rebuild.
20210607_090705.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
moconnor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by moconnor »

LydiaS wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:19 pm This is the beginning of the pilot-house rebuild.
I was just going to reach out to see how things were going! You've made some progress. Did you find any gold doubloons during deconstruction so far? I look forward to watching progress! -Mark
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Looks good! I have a similar task at hand. A 18’ centerconsole a tree fell on and crushed the gunwhale. The way i would have approached that damage would have been to get the top skin lined up and with the right curvature, then cut in from the bottom and do most of the repair from underneath using 1708 biax, sheat back with divinycell and then cover, just like it was done at factory. The more you can do from the back the easier it is to get it nice and flat and you can build out and thicken the laminate that way. After back is nice and set, i grind in as little as possible from outside to remove what damage is left and then i cover that with polyester and CSM, grind then a filler.

Mertons Fiberglass in Springfield MA is a great source for material. Very high quality and low prices. He drives to Maine where he have his boat most weekends.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Traverse City, Mi

Post by Plum76 »

Quite the undertaking, good luck with it. I'm watching with interest as adding some strength to my 'arch' is on my long term list, just to have it reinforced and more durable.

Jason
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

A great start. It looks exciting! I'll also be following along. Please share some detail photos of the inside of the arch material if you have a convenient opportunity to take them.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
LydiaS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by LydiaS »

The F/G work on Tortoise' "arch" is mostly complete; The inner material was Divinicel type foam, and the 2 ridges were made up of filler. The "arch" had been used to support a 2x6, which in turn supported a succession of tarps, which in turn failed to support many winter's snow load.Image I scribed a temporary support from the fwd curve, bullied the shattered pieces into rough shape, ground back and built up with CSM and bi-ax until I had a sort of fair curve.Image I then scribed a piece of Fir, cut and fitted and epoxied into place top and bottom, and faired that into a somewhat fairer curve, which is where the recent rainfall left me for now.Image Since the canvas top is missing, I will be able to replace it with a piece to fit the 3/4" or so upper beam, which barely shows between the 2 F/G ridges. There will be some detailing and shaping to come, epoxy coating the wood, and probably paint the whole structure.
I suspect that I have not properly attached photos, but will keep trying. I am a Newbie.
LydiaS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by LydiaS »

the photos

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”