• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Double wide helm seat

Albin's "power cruisers"
Coonneck
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay St Louis Mississippi

Double wide helm seat

Post by Coonneck »

Looking for recommendations on a double wide helm seat for a 27FC. Must have foot rests since the both of us are short legged. All help would be appreciated. Pic would be very helpful.
srcody617
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston Mass.

Re: Double wide helm seat

Post by srcody617 »

I am seeking as well. My boat has NO helm seat.
The tricky aspect is supporting it in such a way as to not lose easy access to the engine starboard. With one stock?? arrangement I viewed, the engine cover couldn’t be kept open without picking the seat off the bulkhead clip.
There’s got to be a better way!!
real550A
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, Florida

Post by real550A »

I have the original double wide in my '88. To access the starboard side of engine bay, one must fold up the leg, loosen locknut, and slide the seat aftward, out of the track. It is a bit cumbersome for one person to do.
When I get back to Florida, I'm going to explore the pedestal/single seat possibilities. I may have a pristine double available shortly after that!
"FOOL'S GOLD"
1988 27FC #454
157hp Isuzu 6BD1
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

I looked for a off-the-shelf replacement for my A27 bench seat last year with no luck. Was hoping to find one with a reversing back-rest, which would have been nice at the dock. You could re-build with marine the existing hardware, plywood, and a little sewing. But bucket seats on pedestals on either side of the engine hatch might be smarter - several boats with those. The legs on my old seat were removable so that you could rest the end of the bench on the open engine hatch.

Consider possibly mounting foot rests to the bulkhead/console.

I ended up building a folding extension for my seat, but it was a lot of work and better for putting your feet up or as a side table than sitting a second person.
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

I don't know about double wide, but we just added a second (Flag Officer's) :D seat to our wheelhouse. Our boat came with a nice, swivel-mounted Todd "bucket style" helmsman's seat, so we just got another to match. I couldn't build another mount just like the custom original, so I built two new ones.

I have real short legs too, and I hated having my legs dangling all the time, so these incorporate footrests that swivel with the seats. They can't swing in a full circle of course, but they do allow either seat to face to the rear as well as the front. And, best of all, they do not interfere with opening the engine hatches.

Tom
SkipRocks
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Augustine, FL

Post by SkipRocks »

We replaced the previous owners helm seat with a Springfield double bucket boat seat. We really enjoy it, the seat back flips to allow seating facing either forward or aft (fishing on the hook & parties). To open up the starboard side engine hatch I do have to pull two pins & remove the seat , but it takes less than a minute to do so. No foot pedestal though - I don't have an issue, but my wife uses a small hard plastic cooler as a step.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
SkipD
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marblehead, MA

Post by SkipD »

Built this last winter and it has worked out well. 36” wide, used SS leg supports from original seat, securely anchored on house wall and floor, full access to engine compartment. Made out of select pine, epoxy, interlux primer and brightside. Use a small foot rest and helm station foot rest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”