• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Question about transmission coolant on the V-P MD17C in an A-25

Albin's "power cruisers"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Question about transmission coolant on the V-P MD17C in an A-25

Post by WillieC »

Yes that pipe to the exhaust elbow is the end of the line in the raw water cooling system. If nothing’s coming out, something is plugged. Could be the pipe but most likely the elbow.

I think ASAP Supply in the UK has a stainless replacement you might look at. The standard elbow is still available from VP and should last a good while in fresh water.

Can you open the connection where the pipe meets the exhaust elbow and check flow?
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

am going to try that WillieC. I've seen the SS elbows on the internet. An original type cast iron one would last me a l-o-n-g time.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Larsen Marina in Waukegan gave me some ideas. I've found it fairly easy to just unclamp inlet hose from thru-hull and position it in a bucket of water.
Wave at the Great Lakes Navy training base as you drive by when in Waukegan. That's where I went through boot camp and Machinist Mate A school in '69 & early '70.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

Took inlet end of exhaust elbow off the manifold and it looks clear of anything that might plug it up. Time for another conference with Larsen.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

Since I have the exhaust elbow loose I will push a length of SS sailboat shroud through the exhaust tube and out of the transom just to insure there is not a hornet nest in there. I stuff a hunk of foam in there for winter, but the exhaust is exposed much of each season.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

If you pull the connection off the top of the exhaust elbow, you might try rodding the coolant portion of the exhaust elbow. It is a separate passage above the exhaust gas tube. As the water flows through that passage, unimpeded, it cools the elbow and the exhaust gases. The bottom end of the water tube then dumps into the exhaust stream thus cooling the exhaust so rubber hose works for exhaust pipe.

I highly suspect this is where your blockage is. Very common, esp for us saltwater boats.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”