• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Driftless in the water!

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Driftless in the water!

Post by tribologist »

Got Driftless in the water. Had to start with steeling a mooring for a little while. There were heavy fog in Groton CT at Avery Point.
29014B7D-9FE7-4A8B-9658-2D97B53A7ADE.jpeg
Fog was insane!!

After a while it cleared and we could head to Mystic.
2EB969A6-01B4-4A83-A987-91A9500752EE.jpeg

Today we took a trip up to Westerly RI. Lots of boats out! Tomorrow is trailer centering device test day!
C63EEEC8-09CE-42D1-8230-15C16F52EE38.jpeg
ni
80628D98-D8E2-4F0A-9D4A-1D248C5749C5.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solon, ME

Re: Driftless in the water!

Post by honza »

Please let us know, how the trailer centering works! Thanks.
Slow Poke A25 #1110
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Awesome! "Rotten Groton" as we used to call it in the Navy (submarine school in '71, Gato 615 rafted up to the USS Fulton sub tender at State Pier through January, '72).

When we had La Dolce Vita out there in 2015 we put her in a transient slip for a week in Norwest Marine on the CT side of Pawcatuck River downstream from Westerly as our base of ops.

Plans for this year's east coast trip are proceeding apace. Anticipate launching & starting eastbound on the Erie Canal around mid August and going from on from there. That would put arriving at Waterford & the Troy Lock toward the end of the month, and NYC by around Labor Day. Timing will depend on our sailing friends' ETA in Tonawanda after their 900 mile passage from the Apostle Islands on Lake Superior from Washburn, WI and keeping to their planned jump off date of July 5th or 6th. Will keep you posted on our progress.
DSCN2558.JPG
DSCN2523.JPG
20160714_091833.jpg
DSCN2665.JPG
Looking forward to a possible meet up somewhere along the way. Can't wait to get out of the AZ summer desert heat. It's 100's from here on out, 111 by a week from tomorrow. We're parking our boat up in Flagstaff at the end of this month until we leave in late July. That we can pack & sort things out up there where it's 20 to 30 degrees cooler instead of down here where inside the cabin will be over 125 degrees.

Cheers!

PS, regarding fog, that's the one thing that may hinder our friends' progress across the Great Lakes, that they may get stuck in port several days due to fog that doesn't lift. Here's my favorite fog picture at anchor off Sidney Spit, Sidney Island near Vancouver Island, BC in 2019. That was some thick fog!
DSCN4839.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Tomorrow is trailer centering device test day!
I'm a little concerned you may end up with the same problem with centering as we have. That is that as you pull the boat out the front half of the hull will settle on the bunks before the keel engages the V notch, especially if wind and/or current pushed the boat too far to one side or the other & outside of the V notch. On the other hand, it might not be a problem after all because your bunks don't extend as far forward as ours do. Let's hope it works as intended. If the boat swings too far one way or the other you could do like we do, try to get a ramp lane next to the dock if there is one, then stand by the stern with a dock line in one hand and boat hook in the other while a helper (Admiral or other) drives the truck slowly up the ramp. That way you can keep the boat from swinging too far & make sure the keel within the V as it comes out of the water.
DSCN2578.JPG
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

That thing worked perfect! I will post in trailer thread
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

Kudos to you! Nice job on the centering blocks.

I finished my pre-launch projects today, and fired up the engine (briefly) as well. We may launch West Hawk this week, but low water levels on the St Lawrence are a bit of a concern.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

motthediesel wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:53 pm Kudos to you! Nice job on the centering blocks.

I finished my pre-launch projects today, and fired up the engine (briefly) as well. We may launch West Hawk this week, but low water levels on the St Lawrence are a bit of a concern.
Nice! Are the Canadians still hostile to Covid laden americans? Maybe Swedes are welcome (even though they managed Covid worse than most..)

We would love the do a trip around the thousand islands area this summer. It's well within a day drive for us. It's about a 5.5 hr drive so a good drive up on a thursday, drop the boat and stay the night in the marina. THen spend Friday-Sat cruising, staying Fri-Sat at a different marina, go back to launch marina on Saturday afternoon . Stay the night and pull out in the morning.

Is there a good place to launch and store the trailer up there? (Marina with good food! ) What would be a good Friday-Saturday Marina? If you like to so something similar in Hudson I would do Donovans south of Albany (The Boathouse has excellent food!) and then go up to Cresent Boatclub just after the flight. At cresent you are eating Dominos... One of the club officers run the local Dominos. If you take delivery to the boat club you will get them looking like the pictures...
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Nice! Are the Canadians still hostile to Covid laden americans?
Afraid so. They're looking for tunas that taste good, not tunas with good taste. This is the latest questionnaire result for non-essential cross border travel (click on picture for zoom in view). Being fully vaccinated doesn't count (there is no uniform "vaccine passport").
Canadaborder.jpg
Then again things could change sooner than later. This update from 4 days ago.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/heal ... a1d3b56c64

Remember my mention of this Arizona friend who keeps his large sailboat docked in Sidney, BC & met up with us in Desolation Sound in 2018? He still hasn't been able to return to his boat since the beginning of COVID border closures. He pays caretakers to look after it, but he can't cross the border to get to it.
DSCN4271.JPG
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

Yes, I’m afraid the border is still closed. And that means completely, we cannot even sail in Canadian waters without landing — bummer!

As a lifelong resident of Thousand Islands, I am usually a big promoter of the area, but probably the most beautiful areas are, unfortunately, in Ontario waters. If I was going to haul a boat up here to see it, I’d wait until until I could see it all.

Tom
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Thanks Tom and Steve. Hopefully they open later this summer. We should send them a few million doses of vaccine...
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Yes, I’m afraid the border is still closed. And that means completely, we cannot even sail in Canadian waters without landing — bummer!
As a lifelong resident of Thousand Islands, I am usually a big promoter of the area, but probably the most beautiful areas are, unfortunately, in Ontario waters. If I was going to haul a boat up here to see it, I’d wait until until I could see it all.
Bummer indeed! That dashed our plans for last year & again this year we're forced to stay on the US side & head south instead. That begs the question for our friends sailing across the Great Lakes, specifically the "Soo" locks in Sault St. Marie transiting from Lake Superior to Lake Huron. If indeed recreational US boaters are not allowed passage through the smaller more user friendly lock on the Canadian side then they will have to deal with the big freighter locks on the US side. If so that's going to s-u-u-u-u-u-u-c-k!
soolocks.jpg
soolocks1.jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”