• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Beige is the new white!

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Beige is the new white!

Post by tribologist »

Been thinking of putting a layer of white on Driftless to make here melt in among the shiny new boats at the marinas. But no more!! Im thinking i should ask if he had some scratches he needed to have filled. I have some gelcoat left after doing my dash
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Re: Beige is the new white!

Post by hetek »

That looks great, Ulf!

Looks nice and smooth. How did you apply it?
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Driftless is going to put La Dolce Vita to shame! Can't wait to get a picture of the two boats side by side!
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

hetek wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:10 pm That looks great, Ulf!

Looks nice and smooth. How did you apply it?
I chamfered it carefully about 45 deg all the way through. Then I sanded the bottom and patched with some 1708 and vinyl ester. As soon as that set, I filled with hull and deck in a syringe just below the top, and then gelcoat. AND THAT WAS BAD! Ended up with a grey ring of hull and deck after I sanded so next I sanded it back down through most of the gelcoat and sanded radially out to make a starbust sanding pattern, brushed on new gelcoat and then I could sand it nice and shiny. I think there is a separate thread on it.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:06 pm Driftless is going to put La Dolce Vita to shame! Can't wait to get a picture of the two boats side by side!
Thanks not Driftless, I think it is a new Albin 80 in that picture... The beige hull fools you..
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Thanks Ulf!

I did the 45 degree chamfering/syringe filling/sanding trick too, but I started to run a bit thin on a few spots. Plus, my color match was off so it looks like a bunch of dots. Not criminal, but not as nice as I would like.

What is criminal are previous owners with a drill and a new toy (or 20) to bolt onto the dash. If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't need to fill so many holes! :)
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Its pretty easy to sand down just a smidge and fill with a new hue. By the way, Ivory pigment from Mertons fiberglass is a great match. I started with white and thats not good.. probably 20% pigments in my…. I got a little jar of non pigmented I will try next. I should not have given the mixed stuff to the Albin 80 guy…. Glad to see you are back working on the boat! Post some updates if you have some new pictures. That boat will be a $35k A25 soon..
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

I have a $35K A25 right now that I might be able to sell for $15K!

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”