• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

found a A27FC, I must be crazy

Albin's "power cruisers"
deniseO30
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bristol PA

Re: found a A27FC, I must be crazy

Post by deniseO30 »

Bear, I would like to see what you did to remove while remove the AFT cabin I'm pretty sure that's what I'll do also.
Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30(sold) , Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Our 27FC has the 4D61, and everyone is right; its a good solid engine, easy to maintain and frankly the parts are available if you look hard enough. There are also decent substitutes for many parts. Regular maintenance is the key - oil, water, clean air, fuel and raw water filters, occasional words of kindness, and (personal choice) good sound insulation and lower revs for sanity. Rumour has it that the last cockroach will crawl out of running 4D61, and slowly fade away out of frustration..
Boat looks good cosmetically and I really like the deck-work and the rest of the brightwork.
15.5K seems like a good deal, but then you can always haggle a bit.

Buy it and have fun; get a decent toolbox.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

This full-keel boat has a hull speed of 6.4 knots - no matter what engine you put in it! After about 7.5 knots it becomes a water plow. If you put 150 HP in her you can get it up to 11-12 knots and it will semi-plane but at great expense. If you get a big HP engine for it, you will need a new tranny, as the current one will definitely disintegrate. It looks like a good buy at that price - it probably just needs a heat exchanger cleaned. That engine is relatively bulletproof if cared for properly. We just can't get in a hurry in our boats - but who cares! I love mine! Ben '87 27FC #302
deniseO30
First Mate
First Mate

Post by deniseO30 »

I don't think I said I want to put 150 horsepower in it even I did, I couldn't afford it! I only asked how the ones with 150 in them perform, I actually found a video on YouTube somebody put I think 200 plus and it really did look like it was going to go airborne or flip over at any moment during the video these boats were not built for that
deniseO30
First Mate
First Mate

Post by deniseO30 »

I'm going to make the offer tomorrow! (7/13)I

had my eye on a Catalina 36 sailboat which I loved but it won't do the Icw and it's way more both than I really need.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Good Luck! Ben
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Have you viewed "Smacksman's" Youtube epic ICW vids. He is an AOG contributor who bought a 27 unseen on CL and took it to Florida. Had a world of adventures and made a pretty good set of vids to commemorate the trip. Best part for me is the Walmart shower curtain bimini.
Enjoy
and Good Luck
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
deniseO30
First Mate
First Mate

Post by deniseO30 »

I did see his videos I didn't watch all of them I just glanced at a couple yes I saw that he just bought one one of his statements was by the smallest boat you can be comfortable on for the icw which was one of the reasons I did not go for the large Catalina 36 sailboat
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Good luck with your purchase, and all of the ensuing purchases!

I'm not sure that a Catalina 36 can't do the ICW. Perhaps the one you were looking at had particular issues I've? I've done almost all of the ICW proper (Miami => Chesapeake) in larger, full keel sailboats. They do touch bottom at some points, particularly in GA.

Your A27 will provide a solid foundation for doing the ICW, and avoid grounding and having to time draw-bridge openings. It is a great boat, made better still with the flexibility of trailering if need arises. There's not much opportunity for sailing in the waterway anyway.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
deniseO30
First Mate
First Mate

Post by deniseO30 »

Well my offer was rejected. I made two more offers and they were rejected, dealing with somebody that has a fixed number in their head is usually a waste of time.

The broker and I pretty much agreed that he doesn't seem to really want to sell the boat

Not really disappointed I was not in love with the boat it may seem like I was because I did make a few posts. But I usually don't get emotionally involved with boats like this they're just too many of them out there, even though the a27 is becoming somewhat rare I keep thinking it's not quite what I'm looking for but can't afford much larger well I could but then I wouldn't have any money to improve it thank you all for your input it was not a waste of time because this is what keeps forums like this alive.
real550A
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, Florida

Post by real550A »

Yes, the 157hp Isuzu is the original engine in my '88FC. It also has the two 50 gal. saddle tanks, as in the Sport Cruisers, which I like.
Fuel burn is a bit more than the 4 cyl. models, as expected, but approx. 1.8 gal/hr, and you can make it do 12 knots, if you really need to find shelter. I like cruising it at 2200/8.3 mph, roughly.
Bearkeley- I hope to be in the water by 12/15, at Stuart, FL. and heading for the Keys, myself, shortly after. Maybe I'll see you out there!
"FOOL'S GOLD"
1988 27FC #454
157hp Isuzu 6BD1
real550A
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, Florida

Post by real550A »

Denise030- Sorry to hear your offer was rejected. Just curious, what about the FC was "not quite what I'm looking for? That might help us to help you find the right boat.
I liked the aft cabin concept on paper, and after spending a few days on the boat, it's a great feature! Can't wait to get back to the "slow life!"
"FOOL'S GOLD"
1988 27FC #454
157hp Isuzu 6BD1

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”