• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Engine Problems

Albin's "power cruisers"
berchmanr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Baytown, TX

Engine Problems

Post by berchmanr »

I recently purchased a 1984 Albin 27 aft cabin in Clear Lake TX. Brought the boat up the intercoastal waterway to Lake Charles, LA. 150 miles by water. Boat ran great the whole trip, never misses a beat. Docked at a slip in Lake Charles. The following weekend tried to start boat, engine turned over fine, but never fired. Can't find a local diesel mechanic. Any suggestions what could be wrong?
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Re: Engine Problems

Post by Ambler27FC »

I believe fuel issues are usually your starting point. My step 1 would be to check the fuel filter/water separator first. Drain any water and replace the filter element. You might need to bleed the fuel lines to get out any air. With your long trip everything on the bottom of the tank(s) could have been stirred up. If you don’t know last years maintenance schedule, changing the engine mounted fuel filter might be a consideration.
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

My first thought would be to check the glow plug circuit. If it’s cold — no glow - no go.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Both the above are good suggestions. Water in the fuel could be the first usual suspect. Air in the fuel lines 2nd. Would think it was warm enough in Louisiana that glow plugs wouldn't be an issue but doesn't hurt to check.

Friends of ours are taking a sailboat across the Great Lakes from Washburn, WI en route to Buffalo, NY and have had to do a lot of motoring. Their Yanmar 2YM (or 2QM I forget which) engine started leaking lube oil from somewhere in the back of the engine, likely a crankshaft seal. Access is real tight because the boat has a pointed stern so it's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from. Then this morning as they were starting out on their way south the Coast Guard pulled them over after the spotting a fuel slick trailing behind their boat. They didn't get a ticket which could have been a $5,000 fine, but they had to get towed back to the George Kemp Marina just east of the Soo locks & can't proceed any further until they get the fuel leak fixed & approved by the Coast Guard. The oil leak they can manage because that doesn't end up in the bilge sump but fuel leaking into the bilge & getting pumped overboard is another matter.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Check for fuel at each cylinder. You might take the plugs out one at a time, and cover the hole with a paper towel and crank the motor. You should get some diesel vapor coming out. It may not make mark on the paper towel, but you should smell it. If one or more cylinders are noticeably different, you can work backwards from there.

There should also be some bleeder valves on the fuel rail.

It's also worth checking the kill switch and making sure the transmission is in neutral.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

Another thought — how about the fuel stop?
You didn’t say what engine you have, but our 4D61 uses a electric solenoid switch to kill the engine. Check to see if that is getting power with the key on, and that it clicks when it does.
berchmanr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by berchmanr »

I appreciate everyone's help. I have an extensive sailboat background, and owned a 37 ' power boat with twin gas engines as well, but diesels are brand new to me. I love this Albin, and it has performed well on our trip. Marine diesel mechanics are hard to find in our area, and I am not a mechanic. We'll keep trying and will keep the group posted on our findings.
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

The Nigel Calder boat maintenance book has a really good section on diesel motors and all of the problems you can run into. As you say, diesel mechanics can be hard to find. They are wonderfully simple engines. Someone at your marina - maybe a large sailboat owner - might be able to get you going. Best luck.
Coonneck
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay St Louis Mississippi

Post by Coonneck »

What engine do you have? Let’s start there. Old D461 then all mechanical unless PO changed to electric fuel pump. Does it have a electric fuel shutoff or manual? You may just have a leak in the fuel system and it has air in the lines and needs to be purged. So many questions. Feel free to call me tomorrow and I’ll try to walk you through Some of the possibilities. Andrew 6018186690
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

As mentioned above, fuel filters, a air leak in fuel system allowing it to loose its prime once you turned it off, and the fuel shut off system are most likely culprits. My guess most likely is shut off solenoid (assuming it doesn’t use a cable) is the issue. If it has visual linkage, just make sure it is actuating when trying to start the engine. You can try bleeding the fuel system by any bleeders present line on top of fuel filter (if it has one fitted to the filter housing) or you can also crack the injector lines loose at the injectors and crank it over. You should get some fuel and no air bubbles coming out while cranking. This will also verify the lift pump is working.
Last edited by Dieselram94 on Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Dieselram94, me thinks your last post needs a slight typo edit, ha ha. Dang those letters that are close together on the keyboard. See if you can find it. :-)
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:02 pm Dieselram94, me thinks your last post needs a slight typo edit, ha ha. Dang those letters that are close together on the keyboard. See if you can find it. :-)
Hahaha, good eye! I found it! Now I’ve got a case of the giggles! Lol!
I’ll fix that now
berchmanr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by berchmanr »

Where can I purchase parts for a Lehman Peugeot 4D61, 1984? Was told our starter is not turning the engine fast enough to start. Would appreciate any help in locating engine parts.
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ellsworth, Maine

Post by Burton »

berchmanr wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:31 am Where can I purchase parts for a Lehman Peugeot 4D61, 1984? Was told our starter is not turning the engine fast enough to start. Would appreciate any help in locating engine parts.
I saw a previous post on this, not sure where it is. We have a great local rebuilder who does starters and alternators. There must be one in your area. That would be the first thing to try.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”