• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Pre-Deluxe A-25 Steering Clamp Failure

Albin's "power cruisers"
Desertboater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eastern Washington State

Re: Pre-Deluxe A-25 Steering Clamp Failure

Post by Desertboater »

Steering clamp has arrived and I'll be working on the boat this weekend.

That hairline crack on WillieC's steering clamp was also present on ours - the photo I posted did not show it because the crack was on the underside of the plastic clamp. I would not have seen the crack even if there was an inspection port like WillieC now has.

The port would be great to detect loose bolts though - added to my winter to-do-list once the boat is in the shop.

My suggestion to everyone is to replace the plastic clamp with one of the metal ones - I would bet most have the hairline crack by now.

Unless someone has access to really high tech metal deposition printing equipment, this does not seem like a suitable place for a 3D printed part.
Desertboater
Albin 25 - 1971 originally with AD-21 engine
Repowered with Beta Marine 25hp
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Tribologist told me about this. I'm pretty sure my rudder cable already has as metal clamp. Currently "DAing" my way across the country, stopped for the night & staying in a hotel off I-40 an hour west of Albuquerque, NM en route to NY state. Too hot to camp in the boat & we're getting rain & T storms. Too much stuff packed in the aft cabin to check it now. But I will double check it as soon as I get a chance. Been wrestling with Verizon upping my data plan & getting secure mobile hotspot wifi to work. Been off line except for the phone which half the time I've been in areas with weak signals.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Safe travels Steve!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Desertboater wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:02 pm Steering clamp has arrived and I'll be working on the boat this weekend.

Unless someone has access to really high tech metal deposition printing equipment, this does not seem like a suitable place for a 3D printed part.
I'm not so sure about that. I have two printers. One Prusa Mk3+ I mostly print PETG and PLA in and the other one is a fairly cheap Sovol SV01 set up in a heated chamber with a garolite bed and hardened nozzle and it does a really good job on carbon filled Nylon. The original mounts were made from Acetal or unfilled Nylon. Carbon filled nylon is wicked strong compared to that. The way to be 100% is to put a simple split shaft collar on both side to eliminate any chance of it slipping and to make metal backers or use fender washers to distribute the bolt load. Remember that the original held up for 50 years with no good support. Here is a printed downrigger mount made in CarbonX. That stuff is wicked strong and it prints nice unless you try to print supports…. They are very hard to remove,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Off course i found out that you can buy the downrigger mounts for $27 after i printed them.. I spent about that on filament
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

When I purchased my Albin it was a spur of the moment decision and we only had time to trailer it home from Oregon before leaving on a Baltic cruise. I knew the engine worked and that was all. After the cruise I immediately launched the boat for a short journey over to Ganges Harbour just to see if she floated and wasn't leaking. I noticed she was sluggish responding to starboard. As we entered Ganges I also noticed a black hulled RIB with a grey superstructure following me in. I paid it little attention until docking in tight quarters. I found I could only turn to port and this damn boat was always in the way!

We finally tied up when the Border official stepped off the RIB and came over. His first question was had I cleared customs and where? He was taken aback when I replied I cleared customs at the Pacific Truck Crossing. I then explained the boat was new to me but I had cleared customs and the vessel did have a BC license; I just hadn't had time to purchase and mount the numbers. While we were having this conversation his buddies on board had checked the boat's Oregon license and found that I had cleared customs and transferred the registration to BC.

Returning home with limited steering (except to Port) I fixed the broken steering clamp and mounted my numbers. No harm done and just another boating adventure with Dave my wife would say.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Just remebered Coey, the coupe in Macedon NY had SN 1024. Pretty close to dkirsops..
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
ppaalo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Siuntio

Post by ppaalo »

I also read the horror stories and ordered a new one from Albinmotor, fits perfectly. Here is a picture of the old and new after install.

Had no visible cracks in mine though, boat is from 1970 so held up pretty nicely. But better safe than sorry!
steering_clamp.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1970 Albin 25, no. 465 "Skumpan"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

"But better safe than sorry!"

Absolutely.

One of my winter projects is to correct that funky outer limits geometry of the whole installation. Then I promise I will pull and lube the cable while I am at it. Tribologist's earlier comments (where was that?) about a dresser drawer working perfectly until it jams makes perfect sense. Now THAT is applied science.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Part of being a Tribologist includes knowing a bit about grease. I would not try to clean out 50 year old grease inside a 16’ long cable…. We were on the subject of Eytelwein last time around..
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I did check the cable clamp on our boat. It is metal. The plastic OEM part must have been replaced by one of the previous owners. We're docked on the Erie Canal in Fairport, NY & will meet up with Tribologist in Macedon, 6 miles further east on the canal tomorrow.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”